Next to no difference in FPS after increasing overclock

Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
So I finally got a cooling unit for my cpu, decided to push it back to 5.0ghz (was 4.5) which I knew it could do since I'd tested it earlier...it just overheated.

No difference (or very little, like 5-10 average) in fps at all. I have 0ms waiting on gpu, and I STILL sit on 90-120fps depending on where I am in the map. Rarely it does go above or below that, I get 150 in Data Core.

Wtf man.

Comments

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    What were you expecting for 500mhz? Do you think if you doubled your clock speed you would double your FPS?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I thought I'd get SOMETHING instead of nothing.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    You said 5-10 average? That is like a 5% performance increase. Which would be expected I would think.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I said I didn't see any increase, but there may have been a small amount I missed.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members

you should go back to 4.5ghz and overclock your northbridge and the like and see the difference, then try 5ghz again.   The point im making is that at some point, the throughput of other aspects of your computer can't keep up.

Yeah I figured something else was bottlenecking that wasn't the cpu or the gpu, but I have no idea what it is.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    I'm noticing a big difference between 4.1 and my old 4.5 clock. probably about 20-30 important fps. :l
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Did you have to slacken off the RAM timings to get the extra clock? Is it purely a CPU multiplier difference between your 4.5 and 5.0 settings?
    Roo
    I don't believe I changed any settings that affect the RAM, I was also unaware you could change the timings from what's written on the side of them!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Check them out in CPUZ and compare with the SPD table. There should be a set of possible timings for which the RAM is 'rated' and by default, it should have picked one of these. Without knowing your mobo/system specs I can't really say more than that, though!

Also I should qualify that I'm on Lynnfield here and haven't experience with OCing Sandy/Ivy systems (though plenty with Lynnfield and older!).
    Gotta be honest, not sure how to "compare" the timings with the SPD table, but they are 9-9-9-24
  • Steve123MCSteve123MC Join Date: 2012-08-11 Member: 155408Members
    edited May 2013
    Your FPS sounds similar to mine although i'm unsure what your hardware is, maybe a 2500k or a really good 2600k? But yea the biggest problem we are all aware of is the way the spark engine talks to the cpu/gpu. IMO the game engine is the biggest bottle neck.

2600k 4.8ghz
    2133mhz mem
    pair of evga classified 680 4GB sli
    My 2 cards are working @ 50-60%.

I built this system specifically for ns2 and so far not at all impressed. I'll get the new haswell chip next month or so and hope it helps.
    edited May 2013
    2600k 5.0ghz
    1600mhz DDR3
    GTX570

EDIT: Forgot to mention

Res wrote: »
    you should go back to 4.5ghz and overclock your northbridge and the like and see the difference, then try 5ghz again.   The point im making is that at some point, the throughput of other aspects of your computer can't keep up.

I have no northbridge, it was eliminated in the P67 chipset, which I have.

Also this new message box sucks, white and no code!?
  • Mellow1123Mellow1123 Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183615Members
    Yeah, this game got some major performance issues.

I got an i7 3770K 4.9 GHz with GTX 680 and at times my fps can go down to as low as 45 in a 6v6 game if there are a lot of entities nearby like macs and such...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    90-120 fps, congrats but really this is more than high enough to play the game on. Why complain?
    It's less complaining, more asking why I got no improvement.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Check out the profiler, maybe your GPU is bottleneckin'
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    why risk potential hardware damage for more fps you will not notice?

the hell?
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    Imagine if they had used the source engine. Just that alone would have doubled NS2's popularity because normal people with normal computers could run the game. 
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
  • DeadonstickDeadonstick Join Date: 2013-04-17 Member: 184877Members
    Alright, I am somewhat of an expert when it comes to computer hardware and I can tell you the following.

1: Sometimes other components of your computer are bottlenecking your CPU, your CPU might be like "GIVE ME MORE", but your Graphics card can shout back "DUDE, chill out, I'm still busy with this pixel, then you can have it".
    2: Clock speed and FPS rarely scale 1:1. If you double your clock speed this will rarely mean double FPS.

As a sidenote, 90-120 FPS is fine, more than fine, most screens can't even go that fast. And as a last sidenote, higher FPS does not always mean smoother gameplay, unfortunately NS2 can "hiccup" quite a bit.
  • Steve123MCSteve123MC Join Date: 2012-08-11 Member: 155408Members
    Alright, I am somewhat of an expert when it comes to computer hardware and I can tell you the following.

1: Sometimes other components of your computer are bottlenecking your CPU, your CPU might be like "GIVE ME MORE", but your Graphics card can shout back "DUDE, chill out, I'm still busy with this pixel, then you can have it".
    2: Clock speed and FPS rarely scale 1:1. If you double your clock speed this will rarely mean double FPS.

As a sidenote, 90-120 FPS is fine, more than fine, most screens can't even go that fast. And as a last sidenote, higher FPS does not always mean smoother gameplay, unfortunately NS2 can "hiccup" quite a bit.
    I agree, the biggest problem is the hiccups between min avg and max fps. I can go from 200fps down to 50-60fps. My min comfortable fps is 100 anything lower and it messes me up which is why i went balls to the wall at the time with my graphics solution, only to find out the game is heavily cpu dependent.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Obraxis said:
    90-120 fps, congrats but really this is more than high enough to play the game on. Why complain?
    Because everyone knows that doesn't last long outside of the ready room.
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    90-120 fps in Ready room and you're complaining? Man you guys are spoiled. I get 40 fps in the Ready room and 10-20 late-game.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow

Theres also the point that 120 fps in NS2 is similar in feel to 30 in other games.  From the testing I did NS2 only started to 'feel' responsive at 200 fps, which is hardly obtainable consistently.

IMO input delays and other issues need to be looked at.

• BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    With the way some folks ( no offense meant to anyone in particular) talk about FPS,  if I ever get a PC that will sustain higher than 30 FPS after 5 minutes nothing will exist other than Mmm-ma ma ma monster kill kill kill kills.   :P
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The general rule of 'higher clockspeed = better fps' is more relevant for people going from stockclocked to overclocked then it is for overclocked to amazingly overclocked ones. Once you are getting into the really high overclocks, there is a good chance your getting bottlenecked by something else like your RAM or motherboard.

Also, I'd suggest doing a benchmark in the manner prescribed here. I suspect you may be either overestimating the framerate you actually got before or underestimating the framerate your getting now if you just trying to eyeball the results from the fps or r_stats command.
    Obraxis said:
    For just playing, that's more than enough. However, I can tell you for recording/streaming, you can't ever get enough fps.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    xDragon said:

Theres also the point that 120 fps in NS2 is similar in feel to 30 in other games.  From the testing I did NS2 only started to 'feel' responsive at 200 fps, which is hardly obtainable consistently.

IMO input delays and other issues need to be looked at.

I agree with this.  The input lag or delay feeling you get is just as much of an issue.  I don't know how to quantify it for the devs, but I played NS1 briefly the other day and couldn't believe how much more responsive it felt.
    edited May 2013
    Locklear wrote: »
    Obraxis said:<br />
    90-120 fps, congrats but really this is more than high enough to play the game on. Why complain?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Because everyone knows that doesn't last long outside of the ready room.
    I get 200 fps in the ready room, I'm getting the 90-120fps in game play.

Check out the profiler, maybe your GPU is bottleneckin'
    Shouldn't the r_stats have shown a greater than 0ms waiting on gpu if that was the issue.

Yes I suspect that it's being bottlenecked by something else, or the 0ms waiting line is lying.
    Also yeah, I do stutter a noticeable bit, micro freezes whenever something appears for the first time etc (really often early game).

EDIT: I should note that turning on occlusion still rapes my fps, drops to like 60-70, I thought occlusion was cpu related?