Ironhorse (Lead PT, PAX guy) Home and Business burned down

ComproxComprox *chortle*Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
edited May 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Ironhorse lost his house today to one of the fires in California. He also ran a business from here as well. EDIT - Donations have been closed, as per request of Iron Horse. You guys have donated an amazing amount of money already

422039_10200542397816377_439624092_n.jpg

Thanks everyone!

(Edited by Obby to add image)

Comments

• RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    Damn. My best wishes to Ironhorse.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    That's terrible. I get paid today and I'll be pitching in a bit. I don't have much but I've never lost everything either.

Best wishes to you and yours Ironhorse.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm sorry Iron :( Wish I could do more to help right now. :/
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow, that's terrible. Ironhorse is a great community member. His work on the game, and his insight on these forums, is always excellent. I wish him the best of luck going forward with this truly terrible situation. I don't have a lot of money at the moment (still in college) but I'll try to get some together to help him out.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I'm truly sad to hear this, thank god at least for their safety will try to give a donation soon.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Now, who else am I suppose to endlessly debate with in the internal forums. :o Hope everything works out for you, bud. Good luck. Sent you a donation.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    That is awful, was he insured?
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Wow, that's terrible. :(
    Good luck with everything!
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    No freaking way. I heard about the fires, but didn't realize it was that bad already. Damn.

Out of curiosity, does insurance cover this in the US?

I'll pitch in a few bucks.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Terrible news :(

Take care!
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Homeowners policies *can* cover fire protection. However, price goes way up in fire-prone areas away from fire stations, making it prohibitively expensive. Sometimes states have disaster-specific insurance instead, but this doesn't always pay enough to get your house back. I don't know if California has this.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Did he lose the house? I read "ravaged", but I'm not sure how that translates. In any case, God that sucks. No matter what kind of insurance you have, there's SO many things money just can't get back.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    What a terrible thing. Naturally money can't buy everything back, but a good insurance can save some trouble. I hope the best for all the fire victims.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hey everyone, just an update. Ironhorse and Mrs Ironhorse are overwhelmed by all your kindness. They are ok and are staying with their family. The GoFundMe is not like kickstarter, they will get the money whenever they want even if they dont reach the goal (I've had to raise it already). Thanks all so much for your help and generosity, this really has put a smile on their faces during a terrible time. Goes to show what a wonderful community we have here, :)
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    sorry but who's scott?
    Can Ironhorse post on here to confirm?  Also I would like him to confirm that site (gofundme.org) is legit.  Someone from UWE perhaps?

Just so everyone knows plenty of scams popup after disasters (not saying this is).  I just want to be careful and know my money is actually going to someone in need (instead of a scammer).

edited the name out since i got my answer.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2013
    Scott is another one of the PT's (He is Obraxis who just posted above). The GoFundMe is set up in Ironhorse's name so he can draw the money out directly. I know there are always scams so it's good to be wary. You will notice UWE tweeted this before I even posted as well. If you don't feel like donating, that is perfectly fine. I am not sure when Iron will post again as he is obviously a bit busy.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2013
    Scott MacDonald is me. I'm not about to run off with Chris' money considering he's a friend and has my full address and phone number at his disposal ;)

I started it on his behalf while he was busy evacuating.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    that's horrible!!!
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Obraxis said:
    Scott MacDonald is me. I'm not about to run off with Chris' money considering he's a friend and has my full address and phone number at his disposal ;)

just trying to be careful and not help scammers.  Thanks!
    Obraxis said:

just trying to be careful and not help scammers.  Thanks!
    Completely understand :) Thanks!
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Really sad to hear, wish I could help out.

I wish you best of luck Ironhorse!
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor

Is there any other way to donate some €?

Using GoFundMe from Germany let's me chose between:

1.) Credit Card - which I don't have.

2.) Bank Account - which my bank blocks, because GoFundMe is not certified and does not work within the regulations for secure online transactions as set by my bank.

I'd even consider using PayPal (which I hate for various reasons) for this...

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members

How to remember their difference:

Obraxis: "You might get stung by a used condom" <- true LOLs!

Ironhorse: Apart from being a sexy man, I would say the PAX vids - until now. Truly scary event sir, I hope the whanau, pets and friends got out okay?

• Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've had my share of burnt houses. Insurance does wonders.

IronHorse, aka. SUPREME GORGE will come back from this.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    I donated a small amount. Hope everything turns out well Chris. 
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hope things get set right soon. I will donate on payday. Iron is a good guy and deserves the help, though i doubt he would ask for it. Thank you Obraxis for doing this for him.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow