Do you use difference sensitivity/DPI for the races (marines/aliens) ?

JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
edited April 2013 in Competitive Play
marine sensitivity (long range) < alien sensitivity (melee) ?
or
marine sensitivity (long range) = alien sensitivity (melee) ?

what do you use ?

btw: you can check your value with console (^): setsensitivity

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't but I really should. From experimentation, I find I prefer
    Marines = Lower sensitivity (for more precise shooting at distance)
    Aliens = Higher sensitivity (for easier ability to do 180s when in melee combat)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    I don't but I really should. From experimentation, I find I prefer
    Marines = Lower sensitivity (for more precise shooting at distance)
    Aliens = Higher sensitivity (for easier ability to do 180s when in melee combat)
    Basically this yeah, if you've got a gaming mouse you probably have the ability to change it on the fly.

I tend to have low sens for marines, Gorge spit, Lerk spikes and Skulk parasite and change it up when engaging in combat for one step higher (still low for aliens though, just a tad bit higher to make the close range combat easier.

Sometimes I also change it up to that one step higher in sens for when I'm ambushed and have a shotgun handy. Keeping track of what your sensitivity is on during heavy combat is something to behold though :P
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Logitech G400 is awesome - I can setup several dpi setting and easily change them while in games. I have 3 different dpi's for aliens (high), marines (low) and for comming, which is pretty nice.
    shoutout to locklear for suggesting this awesome mouse :)
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The game should have different sensitivity settings for aliens and marines.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    shonan wrote: »
    The game should have different sensitivity settings for aliens and marines.
    Fov settings too
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
  • tamalontamalon Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168470Members
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    nope, but I al

yea.

• XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Agree with gliss, I used to swap sens around but it just became a pain in the arse when I would forget to swap back all the time, I settled for 2.0 or 2.2 a while ago on 1600 DPI.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    Yes I use different sensitivities. You are basically playing 2 different games when you play 1 side vs the other. Personally I get more benefit from using 2 then using 1 just for the sake of consistency.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    One sensitivity all round, swapping is generally a poor idea. However this game I use an overall higher sens (plus my fov is maxed out) because I've found the need to turn more. So muscle memory is best developed on one in my opinion!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Gliss wrote: »
    it sounds good on paper but I've never found changing sensitivities to be favorable

I think it's best just to find a middle ground that you're comfortable with for the sake of consistency since I feel like a lot of aim is just muscle memory - plus, how would you adjust for lerk spikes and stuff like that? seems silly
    It'd be nice for people who play only melee alien classes (mostly fades). I find I prefer a higher sensitivity when fading to more easily do the necessary fast 180s than I do when shooting as marines.
    ezekel wrote: »
    One sensitivity all round, swapping is generally a poor idea. However this game I use an overall higher sens (plus my fov is maxed out) because I've found the need to turn more. So muscle memory is best developed on one in my opinion!
    My desire for separate sensitivities is because I want to only have to develop one set of muscle memory. The problem I find is that because I want much faster screen movement as a melee alien player than I do marine, I have to change the distance/speed I move my mouse between the two sides. If I could set different sensitivities for each side (and the comm), I could build up my muscle memory with only one set of mouse movements and adjust the sensitivities to get the desired screen movement.

• SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I use the same sensitivity for both marines and aliens. The only time I would like to have my sensitivity is increased is when I play lerk to be able to look up/down a bit quicker, but other than that I am fine with my current sensitivity
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    I find that due to my super low sens of .69 at 800 dpi which is like 45cm per 360 my alien game suffers from it. So recently i've been trying .69 at 100 dpi and noticed a slight improvement. it does take me a minute or so to re-adjust myself to my marine sens after a game of aliens.

Is your FOV maxed? For whatever reason as alien I'm able to do my quick swipes, but still be accurate as a marine

400 dpi @ 3rd slider? I'm assuming that's somewhere near 2.0-2.2 sens, however my fov is maxed so it probably feels lower.

I generally use 1.7 in source based games (I might lower it though since I'm kind of looking for that really responsive/twitch sensitivity.. mine feels too smooth)
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    I tried playing as marine with 1600 dpi which I use for comming normally. Well, kind of fine with shotties, but I can't track properly with lmg - dpi is too high. But for aliens it is fine actually. So still - diffrent dpis for both teams.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    I used to use two different sens. After talking to a few players, I decided to switch to one.
    Current sens 800dpi, 2 in-game sens.
    Old sens 1400dpi 1.56 in-game (marine) 3500dpi 1.56 in-game (alien)

It basically made my alien play absolutely garbage for while (still isn't where it used to be) but it does start to feel more accurate and precise. What Gliss said pretty much sums it up.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited April 2013
    Fule wrote: »
    Logitech G400 is awesome - I can setup several dpi setting and easily change them while in games. I have 3 different dpi's for aliens (high), marines (low) and for comming, which is pretty nice.
    shoutout to locklear for suggesting this awesome mouse :)

Thank you for the DPI suggestion. I haven't bothered changing the DPI levels on my G400 before, yet I just realized the default levels are annoying as hell. I finally got around to changing them to 800 > 1800 > 2000. I usually use 1.2 in-game sens and 1800 DPI for both sides, which felt most comfortable as a rine. Now with the ability to toggle 2000 DPI as aliens, my fade gameplay (which is already good) has improved quite a bit.

I'm with the crowd that thinks aliens need a slightly higher sens than rines, especially if you use low/medium sens as rines. This concerns tracking in melee range and frantic alien movement. With the recent parasite buff, I think that spikes are the only thing to suffer slight inaccuracy from changing sens/DPI. Marine aiming and muscle memory isn't likely to suffer from the sens/DPI change if you're already used to certain sensitivities.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In my experience the only way to improve aim is to keep your sensitivity the same at all times, including across different games. Changing the sensitivity is sort of like pulling a rug out from under yourself and erasing much of the progress you have made
  • VindalooVindaloo Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174127Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I used to had 2 sens up until about two weeks ago. went from 1. 25cm for 360 and 2. 25 cm for 720 to just the lower one. I must say my alien suffered from it but now I got used to it and I am at top of my game, feeling better than before, probably because of consistent play at almost all times. One semi-low sens is a way to go for me.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Basically all that matters is whats comfortable for you. Everyone has a different posture, hand size, type of grip, downwards pressure on the mouse, size of mouspad and desk real estate. I prefer higher sensitivity for alien play basically due to being in melee range requires quicker response and it fits for how I "mouse" i use 3800dpi for skulk and 3000 for fade. Also 2500 for marine. In the end its all muscle memory. If some insane dpi works for you personally thats all that matters.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    One sensitivity for marines, one slightly higher for aliens. Makes lerking a bit more difficult and alien comm sensitivity is too high, but other than that, works much better for me. Had the same setup back in NS2. For me the consistensy is not that big an issue really. I just fool around for a while before the round starts and I'm set... Btw. I have a higher sensitivity on Y axis than on X axis (in every game and windows even).
    Been playing around with my sensitivity as many people appear to benefit from a single one. However, I keep finding what I concluded months ago, that I really do need different sensitivities for each side, e.g.
    - Lower sensitivity -> Marine game improves, alien game suffers
    - Higher sensitivity -> Alien game improves, marine game suffers

My issue is that the screen movement needed for range vs melee combat are quite different. For ranged combat (marines) you want precise movements that are insensitive to the jitteriness of your hand (e.g. low sensitivity). However, for melee combat (aliens) you want a quick and easy ability to do 180s (e.g. high sensitivity). If I want to train my hand such that say 1in of mouse movement can do both than I effectively need two different sensitivities. 
    edited May 2013

ScardyBob said:
    Been playing around with my sensitivity as many people appear to benefit from a single one. However, I keep finding what I concluded months ago, that I really do need different sensitivities for each side, e.g.
    - Lower sensitivity -> Marine game improves, alien game suffers
    - Higher sensitivity -> Alien game improves, marine game suffers

My issue is that the screen movement needed for range vs melee combat are quite different. For ranged combat (marines) you want precise movements that are insensitive to the jitteriness of your hand (e.g. low sensitivity). However, for melee combat (aliens) you want a quick and easy ability to do 180s (e.g. high sensitivity). If I want to train my hand such that say 1in of mouse movement can do both than I effectively need two different sensitivities. 
    Try 400 dpi @ the 3rd to 4th slider from lowest (last I checked options there was no numbers just a slider) I believe it comes out to 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2 with the FOV maxed out

This should give you essentially a 1.7 sens feel, which would be a 180+ degree turn (190-200 degrees) after a full swipe across the pad. This works for marines and aliens, you can track precisely and make a quick turn when needed. Be noted that I'm on a 17" horizontal mousepad. Constantly changing your sensitivity is probably going to ruin muscle memory

However that may not be true, as I use a different sensitivity for the multiple FPS games I play (yeah I'm a multi-gamer, bet you haven't met one in a while) so idk if it applies, but essentially in all of those games I aim for the same exact thing, being able to do a 180-200 degree turn with a full swipe across my mousepad, no fine tuning from that point needed as I already feel adjusted and it feels natural
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Your numbers look so different than mine. I like to use 5700dpi with 2.3 sensitivity for marines and 5700dpi with 2.4 sensitivity for aliens.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    james888 said:
    Your numbers look so different than mine. I like to use 5700dpi with 2.3 sensitivity for marines and 5700dpi with 2.4 sensitivity for aliens.
    That is insanely high. :O
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    2 sensitivities seems to be the best way to play. most people are going to severely hamper one side of their play by sticking with one sensitivity and "muscle memory" is a real bro-science explanation. You're basically playing two entirely different games depending on what side you choose. I personally switch from about a 6 inch 180 while playing marines to a 2 3/4 inch 180 playing aliens
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    .7 @ 800 dpi for marines 
    .7 @1000 dpi for aliens
    .7 @ 1200 (if i play lerk)

takes about 10 seconds for me to get used to the change. easy peaasy
    edited May 2013
    joshhh said:
    I used to use two different sens. After talking to a few players, I decided to switch to one.
    Current sens 800dpi, 2 in-game sens.
    Old sens 1400dpi 1.56 in-game (marine) 3500dpi 1.56 in-game (alien)

It basically made my alien play absolutely garbage for while (still isn't where it used to be) but it does start to feel more accurate and precise. What Gliss said pretty much sums it up.

joshhh said:
    james888 said:
    That is insanely high. :O
    Just tried your 800dpi with 2sensitivy. It takes me 5 inches to do a 180. I don't got desk space for that! It takes me 1 inch with my current settings. I have kinda bad aim, especially with rifle, so I wonder if it is because my sensitivity.