Keybinds need some serious work...

MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
Okay,

There is no option to clear keys, or to have secondary keys, or to change commander keys, or to cancel assigning keys.

Also having mousewheel up and down as separate keys wouldn't hurt. Or the previous weapon function.

Binding things on console seems wonky - if the key is already taken in the bindings menu, a whole variety of things can happen, usually nothing. Q bound to Weapon1 in menu? Type bind E Weapon1 in console and nothing happens. Trying to bind keys in the keybind file (\Steam\userdata\<STEAM ID>\4920\remote\options.xml, thanks Camron.) results in all sorts of fubar, like sprint turning into a toggleable and Esc turning into a menu+jump key.

That's all I can think of right now. It's mostly quality of life stuff, but depending on your setup, can be pretty annoying to deal with.

*bellyslides aweh*

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Assuming I play with RMB for secondary attack also is a pain with things like lerk spikes and exos. (my left hand fires the right weapon and is the exception to every game and other class in ns2, swapping melee and long range weaponry)
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    Having a secondary key would be REALLY useful for some stuff. For example I'm used to jump with both my space bar as well as one of my thumb buttons on my mouse.
    And while you're at it, can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE detect (or give us a way to specify) our keyboard layout (qwerty, qwertz, azerty, dvorak, klingon, ...) so the commander hotkey "block" is actually a block? I saw a mod for that, but for some reason it has to be activated server-side for consistency or so. You just released a nice infor graphic showing how may of your layers come from France (AZERTY), Germany (QWERTZ), etc....
  • OgraitOgrait Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164306Members
    edited April 2013
    Cant't agree more. Been waiting bind updates since launch. Bindable second buttons would be nice. Also bindable spectator and commander buttons.

Different buttons for aliens and marines would be really nice (like different mousespeed also).

I dont know if pro players can do these things editing files or with pro-mouse/keyboard, but these should be in game options.

Edit: We should have configurable buttons for every lifeform, gun setup, spectator mode, and commanding. Then i would be happy. :)
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Speaking of key bindings. I'm hearing new players get their "show map"-key on the M key by default. Yeah, really. How someone could possibly play (and not be terrible) with such a setup I have no idea.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I personally would like an advanced tab that would allow me to have 3 bind pages with secondary binds. Marine, aliens, and comm.
  • StreidominatingStreidominating Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71236Members
    I can't agree more with You guys. NS2 needs a proper binding system... Proper hard- and software can do, but there are limits on that aspect.

Marine, Alien, Commander and Spectator specific bindings with the options of alternate bindings for one command would be totally AWESOME and is much needed.
  • SkipjackSkipjack Join Date: 2005-04-13 Member: 48323Members, Constellation
    In addition to a better key binding system I would also like to see different configs for marine/alien (even skulk,lerk,fade). TF2 does it right there!
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I just want the mouse wheel inverted, nobody has to get hurt...
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah why the hell does scrolling down scroll up through your weapons?
  • PheusPheus Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12924Members
    edited April 2013
    It's a joke that this has gone unfixed for so long. I posted about these problems over 6 months ago, and have seen similar threads popping up with regularity ever since I became active with the game. Fsfod's menu mod actually fixed all these issues (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100516737) but unfortunately it is no longer working, and wouldn't work on consistency servers. The fact that a modder was able to fix the issues shows that it isn't some huge task - It's just clear that this is low on unknown world's priority list. If it's even a priority at all.
  • LústLúst Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178186Members
    For the love of God please allow me to rebind commander Keys. I want 1-4 to choose my tier instead of qwer.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Pheus wrote: »
    The fact that a modder was able to fix the issues shows that it isn't some huge task - It's just clear that this is low on unknown world's priority list. If it's even a priority at all.
    FYI this is incorrect.
    Its an underlying issue with the engine that's a pain to fix and is the reason why we don't have lastinv, custom binds for commander, and secondary binds.
    And also, it is a priority and they are keenly aware of it, as we internally (and threads like these) remind them constantly of it.

But i feel your frustration... key configurations are a huge part of what defines PC gaming over other platforms.
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    FYI this is incorrect.
    Its an underlying issue with the engine that's a pain to fix and is the reason why we don't have lastinv, custom binds for commander, and secondary binds.
    And also, it is a priority and they are keenly aware of it, as we internally (and threads like these) remind them constantly of it.
    "It's an engine issue" doesn't seem like a good excuse for this. People aren't necessarily complaining about the engine limitation itself but rather the developers choice to design the engine that way. The requested keybind features have been part of PC games for more than 2 decades and were part of NS1. I understand that there are trade-offs to certain designs/features, but I think most people feel that this was overlooked.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have two major problems with keybindings -

1. For some reason you can't bind Caps Lock. No idea why, it just can't be used for anything. I'm probably one of the very few people that binds anything to this key, but it throws me off because I'm so used to using it in other games.

2. Commander hotkeys can't be changed! Why not? I usually use V for teamspeak in most games, which meant that whenever I tried to talk to my teammates I recycled stuff. I had to reassign teamspeak to G which is just awkward. Also, it's really annoying how the minimap comes up every time I try to place a spur.

1. For some reason you can't bind Caps Lock. No idea why, it just can't be used for anything. I'm probably one of the very few people that binds anything to this key, but it throws me off because I'm so used to using it in other games.

2. Commander hotkeys can't be changed! Why not? I usually use V for teamspeak in most games, which meant that whenever I tried to talk to my teammates I recycled stuff. I had to reassign teamspeak to G which is just awkward. Also, it's really annoying how the minimap comes up every time I try to place a spur.
    1. You should be able to bind capslock, it was fixed in a March patch (forget which)
    2. See my previous post :)