Which combat maps do you like?

ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited April 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Scrolling through the workshop, I've come across a large number of combat maps. As I haven't played much combat, I'm looking for people's opinions on which combats they like. Here's the full list of them I can find in the workshop, so let me know which ones you prefer seeing on combat servers:
ns2_co_stargate
co_faceoff
co_core
co_assault
co_summit
ns2_co_dm6
ns2_co_nest
ns2_co_excavation
ns2_co_tramstation
ns2_co_oldassgamers
ns2_co_veilcombat
ns2_co_skylights
co_minifridge
co_hellevator
ns2_co_descent
co_loltrain
co_ulysses
ns2_co_reactor
ns2_co_redemptioncombat
ns2_co_spacejumps
co_tram_hub
co_docking_station
co_falling
co_down_a1
co_recharge
co_rockdown
co_fortsiege
co_lavacliff
co_down
ns2_co_redzone
co_corridors
ns2_co_rats
co_obstaclecourse
co_portals
ns2_co_atles_amenon
co_portals_lava
ns2_co_orion
ns2_pulsecombat
ns2_chuteout

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    With that many, for me at least, it would be easier to say what ones I don't like as I have tried so few and am unsure of the names. That is kinda rude to the makers of those maps though.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    faceoff and summit. That is all. :P
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There's only one I've played that I didn't like. I didn't catch the name, but it's 2 INSANELY long corridors. It's based off the monorail station. I'm guessing from your list it might be co_loltrain? or co_corridors...? It's very silly, and really doesn't work :)

I love the look of skylight. Core is silly but fun (those teleports to enemy base... lol), and the 'standard' maps are all very fun to play (veil, faceoff, summit, descent). Stargate is kinda horrible, but still fun :)

Thanks to all the mappers for their time and efforts though :)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Faceoff is my favourite.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    Surprising the list is so long, but I'm sure many of these maps fall into many categories of completeness. Co_portals, for example, is a little premature - it's a community map that hasn't been assembled yet. (Co_portals_lava is just one of the rooms for said map, and I'm thinking I should set it to hidden for now, because it's obviously cluttering the workshop as is.)

That said, faceoff and summit are the only ones I ever see played on NA servers. Both enjoyable, but I'd love to see more, especially skylights as it looks to be the most complete of all the combat maps. I also have very high hopes for Co_Portals, because it's going to be the most unique map the moment it's launched.

• JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    Very nice topic ScardyBob, this might give us and server hosts some good info
    james888 wrote: »
    With that many, for me at least, it would be easier to say what ones I don't like as I have tried so few and am unsure of the names. That is kinda rude to the makers of those maps though.
    It will not be rude if you provide them with enough constructive criticism instead of just bashing their work, this will allow them to look at their work through the eyes of players and fix or tweak. I hope more people visit the mapping forums and post feedback there.

For instance one map that I played the other day I didn't like much, its co_loltrain and its because it got released in a rush and have lots of holes in the world where you get stuck, there are stairs that are blocked by the train track, I wish who ever made it would have at least run it locally for a small test then after that organize a small play test before public release.

what I like about it, the moving train that goes through the level, the death pits, focus on silliness and fun rather than a more "serious" layout. and I can't help but feel like there is so much more that can be added to it.
    I hope that the creator would go back and fix those problems, we have had maps that gets uploaded but never updated with fixes and I will admit I have done that too with a map or two.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I had a game on minifridge yesterday, it was fun and reminded me a little of that awesome Crysis Wars map "Kitchen Wars".
    It wasn't balanced at all of course, because there's so much open space. As a marine it felt a little bit like crushing spiders, because Skulks really have no cover within those ample void spaces. Still needs a lot of work, but the idea is nice. I'd like more silly maps like that for combat. Because combat is silly.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Faceoff is great because the geometry is really simple. Core is nice because it's being worked on a lot but the middle room performance for me is terrible and I can't hit anything.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    My favorite combat map is co_core. Rudy really took the original and turned it into something more NS2-like.

I generally enjoy the co_faceoff remake, though gameplay feels a little more limited somehow. Possibly due to the ladder in the central room not being usable for aliens. Hard to really put my finger on it.

I'm not too keen on having Datacore as alien hive in co_summit, as it's so often sniped from across the room. The implementation of Sub Access feels a little like a missed opportunity, as most action just happens on one side of the room, but other than that it's a pretty solid map.

I feel co_veilcombat is a little too big for a combat map. Perhaps it woukld work better with a simalar chain-of-rooms approach like co_summit.

I don't really like the choice of locations used for co_tramhub, with a lot of combat happening in the hallways outside of Repair. I feel that especially the Ore -> Repair corridor makes for unexciting gamplay.

With a few tweaks co_skylights has the potential to be a good map, I just feel the hallways leading out the team start locations need some work. Long lines of sight being the biggest issue, but Seraph is actively working on the map so I'm confident it'll improve.

Maps like co_loltrain are silly and fun for a little while, but that one does have too many issues to play regularly. Once marines get grenade launchers, they don't need to enter the hive room at all, for instance. That and the numerous stuck issues.

I think I've never had a bad time playing co_spacejump, but it's a lolmap much like co_loltrain in that you will have a difficult time if you're trying to perform well. Missed jumps are hilarious in my book, but some people get upset over them.

I'm excited to see co_portals come together. Not in the least because I'm making the hive room, admittedly. :> I do fear it could end up a little imbalanced, with the large number of people working on it. But that remains to be seen.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    co_hellevator, as long as you go in expecting to lose :P
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    co_summit
    co_faceoff
    co_core (i think that's the one with the huge 4 circular rooms connected together?)
    co_veil
    co_minifridge
  • MakasMakas Join Date: 2013-01-15 Member: 179678Members
    Ulysses.
    Faceoff.

I miss Daimos.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It will not be rude if you provide them with enough constructive criticism instead of just bashing their work, this will allow them to look at their work through the eyes of players and fix or tweak. I hope more people visit the mapping forums and post feedback there.
    The map I am most specifically thinking of is well made, I just dislike the map concept in its entirety.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow

I'm not too keen on having Datacore as alien hive in co_summit, as it's so often sniped from across the room. The implementation of Sub Access feels a little like a missed opportunity, as most action just happens on one side of the room, but other than that it's a pretty solid map.

I've added some LOS block to the DC hive but not enough to block all sniping in the latest version.

Do you have any suggestions for how to fix how Sub Access works right now?

Should I get rid of the walkway the moves directly from comp lab to Maintenance?

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @Arkanti In its current location removing the catwalk would force ground traffic into the center of the room, yeah. Ideally, the best implementation would have the marine-side entrance at the original far side of the room (the u-bend that leads to Comp Lab in the official map), but I realize that there's no room to move the chamber in order to make that an option.