NSL Grand Finals - General Feedback

13»

Comments

• ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    shader wrote: »
    I went back and checked the previous studio event - it wasn't just my memory, the Starcraft 2 casters brought in for that one really were surprisingly good.

Especially considering you can see they have cheatsheets will all the unit pictures and details on their desks.

They are LoL casters. But yeah they spent quite a lot of time watching our games, playing with us and asking questions before the event.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Kaelaris did the same thing... watching matches and hanging out in nexzils and our ts the week before... dont feel like he did a bad job for such a short amount of time.
  • GirTurkeyGirTurkey Join Date: 2005-03-03 Member: 43040Members
    The casting for this tournament had the same problem that all casters seem to have, which I always harp on: There needs to be a play-by-play caster, and a color commentary. If you have two play-by-plays, it is nearly impossible to watch. This is why BlindNS2 is so important to casting, because he actually knows the game at a HIGH level, and can give you more than just what you are seeing on the screen.

They even had Blind at the event FFS, and didn't use him. If you aren't going to use him, find someone else to do it who can actually do color commentary who knows how to play the game.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zeikko wrote: »
    shader wrote: »
    I went back and checked the previous studio event - it wasn't just my memory, the Starcraft 2 casters brought in for that one really were surprisingly good.

Especially considering you can see they have cheatsheets will all the unit pictures and details on their desks.

They are LoL casters. But yeah they spent quite a lot of time watching our games, playing with us and asking questions before the event.

Random, unrelated question... but does anyone know what that first song that's playing is?
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    Anybody else still waiting for their game key for the fanart thing? Sent in 2 original ones and linked another one (Hugh riding the Onos) that was shown on the stream (not claiming credit). So far, nothing in my FB messages...
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    Solaris wrote: »
    Anybody else still waiting for their game key for the fanart thing? Sent in 2 original ones and linked another one (Hugh riding the Onos) that was shown on the stream (not claiming credit). So far, nothing in my FB messages...

They replied to all postings on facebook asking you to e-mail Hugh.

I got my game-key on either the tuesday or wednesday following the tournament, i don't remember which

Check Facebook.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Gliss wrote: »
    which brings me to the next point - Hugh's camera work + casting was definitely not up to par, and this is a recurring theme. missing action all around the map is not really acceptable, there are at most 2 engagements going on at any time. have a dedicated observer, practice camera work, something. it's just unacceptable to miss that much stuff when there's nothing filling the camera time. relying on the popups to tell you a Fade dies and the casters are talking about something completely unrelated is... unprofessional.
    I give caster/streamers wide latitude largely because its difficult to consistently capture all the relevant action while trying to think of useful things to talk about at the same time.

However, I think these types of events are suited for a multi-caster setup. Specifically, have several people stream their views to a primary computer who switches between the different views and streams that to Twitch. Then you could have the casters only spend their time talking about the game rather than trying to manage the stream.

I recently saw a couple of casts by RedDog and Soleanthia, and I have to say that Soleanthia spots the interesting plays and calls them better than any other caster I've seen yet (you're not bad either, RedDog!). There are some fantastic people doing casts, and I really appreciate the time they all put in for our entertainment. If I could say anything constructive to them, it's watch some of her casts (I've only seen a few, I admit), as so far they have been spot on.
    And KEEP CASTING! It's great stuff! :)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Solaris wrote: »

I'm doing these in two batches. I did the first batch last week, and will do the second batch this week. It is a labour intensive manual process

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Gliss wrote: »
    which brings me to the next point - Hugh's camera work + casting was definitely not up to par, and this is a recurring theme. missing action all around the map is not really acceptable, there are at most 2 engagements going on at any time. have a dedicated observer, practice camera work, something. it's just unacceptable to miss that much stuff when there's nothing filling the camera time. relying on the popups to tell you a Fade dies and the casters are talking about something completely unrelated is... unprofessional.
    I give caster/streamers wide latitude largely because its difficult to consistently capture all the relevant action while trying to think of useful things to talk about at the same time.

However, I think these types of events are suited for a multi-caster setup. Specifically, have several people stream their views to a primary computer who switches between the different views and streams that to Twitch. Then you could have the casters only spend their time talking about the game rather than trying to manage the stream.

I recently saw a couple of casts by RedDog and Soleanthia, and I have to say that Soleanthia spots the interesting plays and calls them better than any other caster I've seen yet (you're not bad either, RedDog!). There are some fantastic people doing casts, and I really appreciate the time they all put in for our entertainment. If I could say anything constructive to them, it's watch some of her casts (I've only seen a few, I admit), as so far they have been spot on.
    And KEEP CASTING! It's great stuff! :)
    Will have to rewatch more of her casts then (there are so many to choose from this weekend that its a bit overwhelming :)). Though I'd love it if people have any good suggestions of specific casts or casters in NS2 or other games that do a very good job of both capturing the best action and making meaningful comments (from my experience its like trying to dribble a basketball and jump rope at the same time).
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bitey and Virsoul were awesome casters. Some of the best I've seen. Knowledgeable, entertaining, played off each other really well
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Not to sound immodest but... when I cast, I do try to make conscious decisions not to just call what I see (i.e. Play-by-Play), but to speculate about strategy, explain meta, why certain things are done, etc. Anyone who watches my casts might find me a bit redundant, but I always operate under the assumption that someone watching may not understand everything about NS2, so I will almost always explain small things: drifter usage, alien team life-form compositions, marine 1-3-1/2-1-2 splits, the "res war," etc.

Towards the end of a round, when it seems like one team is on the verge of losing, I often will revisit earlier parts of the game and explain how the game had progressed to that point and what the likely-losing team needed to do to extend/win the game--and after the game is done, I explain what the winning team did to win.

But I'm not nearly as good as other casters like RedDog and Hugh at filling up down-time.

In terms of the NSL Finals went, I do think Kaelaris did a more-than-adequate job. Honestly, I enjoyed it. His voice sounds natural as a caster. But it is a problem, as GirTurkey said, to have two play-by-play casters. If you watch my co-cast with Welkin, we hadn't discussed before-hand who would handle what, so we ended up both doing play-by-play AND color--and it wasn't as good as it could have been.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    For those who missed it, may I present The Best Comm In Europe:
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Do you see chinks in the armor?"

Bonkers: "Well, I don't see chinks, I'd say I don't see ANY armor"

hahahaha
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Squishpoke wrote: »

hahahaha
    armour*

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Squishpoke wrote: »

hahahaha
    armour*

That's the communist way of spelling. ARE YOU A COMMUNIST?