How about a "light HUD" that could be allowed by the NSL Consistency check?!

KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited March 2013 in Competitive Play
I stayed with .dds files, not only because i have no clue about lua, but because i'm not sure if that would be save...

What i have done so far:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133611610

Its not much, but its a start...
I made a lot of stuff that i personally think is not needed invisible just by modifying the alpha channels (tho there are 2 im not sure of, i removed the exo scanlines, and i removed the little dots in the bottom right corner that indicate how many rts your team has. (dunno if there are ppl that really really need this)

Some small modifications to the alien health and energy circles (was thinking about adding some markers like oma did in the modding forum - opinions?), and i changed the minimap blips for the marine hud. (the top left one, tho there are some problems... it doesnt really let me color things differently and also it seems like i cant change the alien egg visuals)

Comments

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited March 2013
    Someone suggested in the ENSL forums to allow changes to the UI folder (ui/*.dds allowed), which I agree with.

Changing lua is not viable because either you make everyone run these modifications, or you whitelist the lua file(s) (which is not a good idea, at all). In any case, if you went ahead and made everyone run the same customizations, you have two options, one is overwritting the file(s) directly, which requires you to update these files every patch as fast as possible to avoid problems (ie. what happens with NS2Stats every new patch), or hooking the methods, but this only allows one mod to do it, which can lead to problems. So... I don't think we can/should mess with lua, I think we need to get the official NS2 to allow some options here (for example, allow removing the marine minimap, etc).

Btw, wasn't there a HUD mod that already did this? Saunapack?
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Now that you say it, I forgot about the saunapack - i havent checked it out, but i remember ppl talking about it.

Well doesn't matter, i guess there is place for more than one HUD mod (worst case is that i'm only doing it for myself) if/once its allowed to modify all the .dds files in the ui folder.
  • EißfeldtEißfeldt Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155658Members
    edited March 2013
    I would also love to see this kind of mods approved by ensl.
    Edit: Is it possible to make the marine health display numbers only without touching the lua files?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Or to remove + points popup?
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2013
    I'm in favor of removing all of the obnoxious HUD elements (HUD popup text and waypoints are frustrating in particular). waypoints only hurt skilled players more than not, even hearing the marine orders every time you finish welding someone or a structure can mask skulk sounds. but I also agree somewhat with Fana's post about the 9L pack. it seems like it was basically required before playing competitive, which seems silly. it needs to be supported officially, like have an option ingame for "minimal HUD / waypoints". I really don't see this happening
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    Yes you can join me if you want to help with the saunapack ;)
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    edited March 2013
    Koryo, yep the markers are nice idea, the only stupidity/problematic in those are that health bar is using the same bar as energy, which makes the markers stay on a health bar also :'(

Thats why im thinkin about adding only some 'lines' as a markers instead of little circular markers.. but really waiting to see your version of the markers :)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    This thread has made me think of making a mod that would allow a number of customizations, more of a proof of concept than anything else, stuff like hide score popup, hide marine minimap etc, things that were "common" back when there was no consistecy checking.

That would probably help get these into official NS2 like when the FOV slider was introduced (as it was very very common).
    Mendasp one thing i would like to have is a .lua customization that would allow us, you, or anyone else to change the size, location of Health TXT i would like to have similar bigger health txt like in TF2 and closer to center for easier to see in big battles..
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Please make it happen Mendasp <3
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    I don't think we are going to allow anything like this. Fana brings up a good point about the 9L pack and we don't want history to repeat itself. Customizing the UI should be something thats done in the game options, available for everyone. Not just the few ones who knows about the ignored files on the consistency check. This is a matter for UWE to look at. I do agree that the HUD can be really annoying at times and I would like customization myself. But it should be something you can do within the vanilla game options. Not by mods.
    edited March 2013
    The game lacks tons and tons of options/customization, so if we don't do it and show there's interest in it, it won't happen any time soon, I'm afraid. I haven't been able to do anything today, but I will start work on it tomorrow.

Also, I don't see anything wrong in HUD customization, it doesn't change mechanics or anything, it just reduces visual clutter... the fact that a mod exists/will exist should be a signal for something to be done officially about it.

I understand they may not want to have 2000 options in the menu, but for these we could have console commands, maybe options.xml editing, or an advanced options menu, etc. All I know is that the problem won't solve itself, because reading the forums, for example, it's like there's no complaints about the HUD, or the options available, when it's not like that.

Not sure if I got my point across.

Edit: Btw, we're still waiting on the proper consistency checking with the dedicated server files, and it's been a while now.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Or just live with the default hud... If there are parts that are that obnoxious, they should be brought up and fixed in the main game. I dont think these kinds of modifications are good in the long run. I dont see why games need to have tons of configurable HUD options, just basic crosshair support is all that is needed IMO (assuming the HUD is reasonable).
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    Agree 1000% about the "orders". Nothing worse than losing a target behind a huge obnoxious "MOVE HERE" order.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2013
    there's no point in NOT having these options other than to be strictly anti-customization which is just a plain obnoxious stance to take
    polish is how a game is sold to new audiences, not "living with" terrible default options
    if the default crosshairs are awful enough to be changed it's not that far fetched to assume that people would want to customize HUDs however they want, as well
    especially considering it's been a common component of every competitive shooter since 1997

http://qlhud.net/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/27/the-best-alternative-team-fortress-2-huds/

http://www.quakeworld.nu/configs

when Quakelive was first introduced into the scene it was essentially the same exact game as VQ3 but lacked all of the polish possibilities such as customization of enemy models that people were so fond of
    once they mainstreamed all of the graphics options by putting it in the actual menu so you didn't have to find some obscure .cfg from 2003 to play the game, everyone migrated over
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Could you customize even your crosshair in 1.6? Point is that the amount of development time to make a system which would allow you all the options of a Quake style HUD would be quite significant I imagine, and is really the last thing they should be focusing on currently. If there are specific parts of the current HUD that are 'terrible' then they should be corrected for everyone. If the game is supposed to be polished then the default HUD should be, not giving people the options to 'fix' it that 99% of the players would never use. The only option I would like to see added is an option to toggle alerts on/off (waypoints/phermones/autobuild/alerts).
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Removal of the stupid waypoints and visual commands would be a great function devs could put in. I doubt it would be that hard to implement. As far as a HUD goes, people should have the right to change the layout if they please.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    The more customization you can add to the UI the better imo. Makes it a lot of fun to make mods and personalize your UI, even if it doesn't add a whole lot of functionality it's always fun to be a snowflake. WoW comes to mind in this respect ..some of the more themed UIs with custom art and stuff were really cool, and then there were some very sleek minimalist setups. It would be cool to see that kind of variety in this game too. Just like crosshairs, the game UI is there to assist you so making it more dynamic/moddable would be pretty cool.

Maybe I am being to wishful with that line of thought though. At the very least having an ENSL certified minimalist UI like stated in the OP would be very nice.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    swalk wrote: »
    I don't think we are going to allow anything like this. Fana brings up a good point about the 9L pack and we don't want history to repeat itself. Customizing the UI should be something thats done in the game options, available for everyone. Not just the few ones who knows about the ignored files on the consistency check. This is a matter for UWE to look at. I do agree that the HUD can be really annoying at times and I would like customization myself. But it should be something you can do within the vanilla game options. Not by mods.
    I agree that there should be a limit to what can be customised, but I think the HUD should fall within that limit. By allowing only the "ui/*.dds" files all people can do it make cosmetic changes to their HUD, they can't remove sounds or get additional information or anything like 9L pack. I don't see why this has to be a blanket ban on customisation, it's not like allowing UI customisation will lead to letting people use pink skulks, it's a very clearly delimited allowance. And like Mendasp says, the only way the devs are going to introduce something like this into the game itself is if they see people using mods to do it first.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    i'd like to know if there's a console command to remove viewmodels (guns/teeth)
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    @Rich_: There is no such command afaik, and it has nothing really to do with the hud or what the idea of this thread is about.

@YoungTrotsky
    Exactly, i suggest ppl actually check out what you can modify in the ui/*.dds files(download paint.net - its free).

We dont even have proper keybindings in the options yet, so its only a matter of years until we might see ui options in the game. :D
    I can wait and live with the standard ui - i just wanted to see opinions on the matter.

Also i think one of the best ways for uwe to find out what we dont like about the ui, is trough such mods. (even tho i cant really try them out properly - dont want to even slightly get used to something i cant use 99% of the time i play ns2 anyway)
    This is what I have so far (not published yet):

Enable/disable score popup (+5)
    Enable/disable RT count at the bottom (the small dots)
    Enable/disable low health warning (sound and visual) -- not quite HUD, though
    Minimal waypoints: Shows only the icons (no text or backgrounds).
    Disable waypoints: Disables all waypoints, except the attack waypoint (for drifter/egg hunting). You can still see the other waypoints in the minimap.

Still to do: Options for the display of HP/AP (bars/nobars, maybe position). Backgrounds. Scanlines. Toggleable marine minimap (top left). That's all I can think of atm. Not sure if I should release what I have or wait a bit more.
    Good job mendasp, there should be another tab in options menu like "Customize/Hud" where you can tweak settings and have 2 little preview windows with zoom (when your pointer hits them).. :p
    edited March 2013
    Mendasp wrote: »
    This is what I have so far (not published yet):

Enable/disable score popup (+5)
    Enable/disable RT count at the bottom (the small dots)
    Enable/disable low health warning (sound and visual) -- not quite HUD, though
    Minimal waypoints: Shows only the icons (no text or backgrounds).
    Disable waypoints: Disables all waypoints, except the attack waypoint (for drifter/egg hunting). You can still see the other waypoints in the minimap.

Still to do: Options for the display of HP/AP (bars/nobars, maybe position). Backgrounds. Scanlines. Toggleable marine minimap (top left). That's all I can think of atm. Not sure if I should release what I have or wait a bit more.

Mendasp i find that rt count be pretty useful, BUT IF it could be changed to numbers instead of those icons, like x2 (two resnodes up) its just plain stupid to have those icons which are hard to read in a heat of an battle..

And the game will live longer if ppl can customize things like huds, its just part of the fun and honestly rearranging things should be in or then mod if not ingame, otherwice its like forcing left handers play with mouse made for right handers..
    I was already planning on that. But it's easier to just make it a toggle for now :P
    edited March 2013
    The unfortunate thing about 'whitelisting mods' is that you have to allow any file that the mod changes to be edited in any way, if it's in the mod or not.
    How about making this something a server subscribes to, and generate the options in the main menu for users? Dragon did something similar with an advanced movement option in NS2c.

Then everyone is using the same files and everything is still an option.
    edited March 2013
    I'm releasing what I have so far. More to come.

Mod ID: 812f004 - Link

This mod gives extra options to clients for HUD customization. The server needs to run this for it to work (as this is a lua mod, and lua files are consistency checked by default).

This is a work-in-progress and more features will be added in the future.

Custom HUD Commands
    chud_lowhealth: Disables low health effects (visual/audio)
    chud_score: Disables score popup (+5)
    chud_wps: Disables all waypoints except Attack orders (waypoints can still be seen on minimap)
    chud_minwps: Removes all text/backgrounds and only leaves the waypoint icon
    chud_rtcount: Removes RT count dots at the bottom and replaces them with a number
    chud_mingui: Removes backgrounds/scanlines from all UI elements (still not finished)
    chud_minimap: Removes the entire top left of the screen for the marines (minimap, comm name, team res)

If the mod is enabled it will show a message in console indicating this and also that you can type "chud" in console to check all available commands and what they do.

The minimal GUI option only has a couple of backgrounds removed from the marine UI (resources, hp, minimap scanlines), I'll add more in the future.

I will be running this in the Godar server, hopefully more people will do this with their servers.
    Gonna test this on saunamen server ;)
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Couldn't get chud_minimap to work.