Where to report hackers?

lornlynxlornlynx Join Date: 2013-03-21 Member: 184144Members
edited March 2013 in New Player Forum
Just had a hacker in a match, his name was *snip*, and when his team was loosing he just went to our base and kept killing upgrades, and once anyone tried to stop him he just went invisible or blinked away, as a marine.

No names in public please. - Angelusz

Comments

• deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    "There are no hacks in this game"

Just wait for it.
  • HeagenHeagen Join Date: 2011-08-29 Member: 119005Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Not a hack, just a Fade supporting him with Vortex.
    Another game mechanic abuse.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Heagen wrote: »
    Not a hack, just a Fade supporting him with Vortex.
    Another game mechanic abuse.

That didn't take long.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    Blinking away can be players how press f4 in mid combat. If you found a cheater just talk to the serveradmin because the mods will delete every name you post here ;)
  • jorgamunjorgamun Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183703Members
    edited March 2013
    Type sv_status in your console and write down his steamid. Convert his NS2 formatted SteamID to a normal SteamID and derive his community profile URL from that. Notify the admins of the server you were on if you can (many communities have groups you can search for) and use the Report Violation -> Suspected Cheater option on the side of the offender's profile with an explanation filled out.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Also.. and I must urge on this..

Record a demo of first person view of the cheater if you can, then PM the downloadlink to a mod / Playtester on this forum. Like Ironhorse.
    Yes, hacks exist and yes they want to know about it.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester

Record a demo of first person view of the cheater if you can, then PM the downloadlink to a mod / Playtester on this forum. Like Ironhorse.

Yup, any evidence is welcome. Just send me a PM.
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members

What software do you recommend to record?
  • lornlynxlornlynx Join Date: 2013-03-21 Member: 184144Members
    okay, thank you, I know now what I have to do next time
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    @ Super_Gorge you can type "record" in your console, and it will record the game from your perspective.
    The recording will be located in your %appdata% folder. (same place as your logs)
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    GISP wrote: »
    @ Super_Gorge you can type "record" in your console, and it will record the game from your perspective.
    The recording will be located in your %appdata% folder. (same place as your logs)
    Didn't demo recording work only if you type "record" before joining a server?
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    edited March 2013
    Just out of interest what happens if someone does submit conclusive evidence in the form of a first person video? Are manual VAC bans even possible? I doubt it.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

What software do you recommend to record?

i like dxtory
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Fule wrote: »
    GISP wrote: »
    Didn't demo recording work only if you type "record" before joining a server?

Correct, recording has to be started before joining on a server. In this case 3rd party programms are easier to execute.

edit:
    Farknut wrote: »
    Just out of interest what happens if someone does submit conclusive evidence in the form of a first person video? Are manual VAC bans even possible? I doubt it.
    Why shouldnt it? Everyone has a unique Steam ID.
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
  • ReEvolveReEvolve Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182948Members
    As VAC is an automated system, user submitted bans are not accepted. As VAC uses a delayed ban system, the chances are that the cheater you encountered in-game has been flagged by VAC and will be banned in the near future. If you believe a player is cheating in a server the recommendation is that you contact the administration team for that specific server in order to report the possible cheater. This will allow the administration team for the server investigate the possible cheater in more depth and take whatever action they feel is appropriate.

You can also report a suspected cheater by following the information here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1010-TOKN-8461
    quoted from: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385172

Also this:
    jorgamun wrote: »
    Type sv_status in your console and write down his steamid. Convert his NS2 formatted SteamID to a normal SteamID and derive his community profile URL from that. Notify the admins of the server you were on if you can (many communities have groups you can search for) and use the Report Violation -> Suspected Cheater option on the side of the offender's profile with an explanation filled out.

As VAC is an automated system, user submitted bans are not accepted. As VAC uses a delayed ban system, the chances are that the cheater you encountered in-game has been flagged by VAC and will be banned in the near future. If you believe a player is cheating in a server the recommendation is that you contact the administration team for that specific server in order to report the possible cheater. This will allow the administration team for the server investigate the possible cheater in more depth and take whatever action they feel is appropriate.

You can also report a suspected cheater by following the information here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1010-TOKN-8461

Also this:

Also this:

So basically nothing will happen then if you do send in conclusive video proof of a cheater, because there are no manual bans. If that is the case then why is evidence even being accepted?
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    So basically nothing will happen then if you do send in conclusive video proof of a cheater, because there are no manual bans. If that is the case then why is evidence even being accepted?

I'm pretty sure VAC works by a blacklist, they place whatever version of known cheat on a black list and anyone caught running it will get tagged with a cheater mark, then banned at a random interval so "they don't know what cheat banned them" which I think is pretty pointless, because getting them banned immediately should be priority instead of having them ruin 100x more matches before the ban.

However I've never encountered a cheater in this game, just one wallhacker many, many months ago

Also, they can probably just ban him completely from THIS game alone, not a VAC ban. That and it's good for them to look into what possible cheat it was and where to get it to add it to the blacklist
    edited March 2013
    ezekel wrote: »

I'm pretty sure VAC works by a blacklist, they place whatever version of known cheat on a black list and anyone caught running it will get tagged with a cheater mark, then banned at a random interval so "they don't know what cheat banned them" which I think is pretty pointless, because getting them banned immediately should be priority instead of having them ruin 100x more matches before the ban.

However I've never encountered a cheater in this game, just one wallhacker many, many months ago

Also, they can probably just ban him completely from THIS game alone, not a VAC ban. That and it's good for them to look into what possible cheat it was and where to get it to add it to the blacklist

If you just send in a video they have nothing to put on the blacklist though. I can understand encouraging people to pm the mods or whatever with actual cheat files, but not videos.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    I have definitive video proof of someone hacking, but I'd have to go through great trouble to upload it so it better be worth my time and effort. Getting them banned on that random server I was on isn't nearly good enough, I want that person to never be able to play NS2 again. Is this even possible? What happens if I submit the proof to the playtesters/mods as suggested?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    How do you intend to send the proof if you can't upload it? Can you send a video link? I submit youtube videos all the time.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    the chances are that the cheater you encountered in-game has been flagged by VAC and will be banned in the near future.

Go home Valve, you're drunk.

P.S. HalfOfHeaven, your instrumental is pretty sick.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    You can report a player for cheat to Valve, they won't ban him on your accusations, but they will track him and it could help ban others cheaters too.

You can report a player directly from their Steam profile.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    You want to ban someone because they were killing your upgrades and got vortex'd by a fade? GL with that.
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    there are just a few wallhackers around in this game - one aimbotter seen in youtube videos and thats it. you even can check out google for your own and search for some cheats - just gota say GOOD LUCK.

the reason for this = no players -> no hacks. those guys want to gain some money and this game doesnt rent for any coder around this world - wouldnt wonder if even some chinese/korean coders would say "doesnt rent for me/us"

this is just 2 sided at first of it all you can say "hell yes one of the cleanest esport games around the world" and on the other side its like: "no players, no prizepool in league, dead times, less money for devs, less developement and and and...."

it is sad that even those coders say "this game does not rent for us" really really sad cause this just calls everything need to be known about the current state of NS2. so on late times you always have troubles to find a full server and on the other side you dont need to care about cheaters like you SHOULD in CS GO or something.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    This game isn't free of cheater/hackers/griefers/exploiters, but I find a lot of false accusations on these forums. Even in legitimate cases, you need to provide a lot more information besides a nickname before a server admin would be willing to ban someone. You should, at a minimum, do the following:

1. The Steam ID
    - Type sv_status into the console and find the player in questions steam ID. Best methods are to either take a screenshot of the steam ID or post your client log that includes the match (log.txt in your appdata/naturalselection2/ folder).

2. Provide Proof
    - The type of proof necessary depends on the situation, but you typically can't go wrong by providing:
    • Your client log.txt file
    • Screenshots of either the console text or the actions in question (I believe F12 is the default Steam screenshot button, but you can also use a separate program such as FRAPs or just 'Print Screen" and paste into paint).
    • Record a video of the actions in question. There is an inbuilt demo function, but it requires you to not be in a server to start, so its not very convenient to use. The other options is a screen recording software. There are lots of options, but the best free ones are either MSI Afterburner (I know its a GPU OC program, but it also has a screen capture function) or Open Broadcaster Software (its mainly used for streaming, but it has an option to record a local video instead).

3. Upload the proof to a public source
    - There are lots of free locations, but here are some of the most common:
    Text = Pastebin
    Images = Imgur
    Videos = YouTube
    Files = Dropbox
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    I got banned from one server when they thought i was aimbotting. I only played 1 round that lasted 5min(with accuracy from ns2stats 30%). Our main was server, aliens in shipping. So i went into logistics twice asap and got 16-1. No one says anything -> ban(could ask to leave if they think someone is playing too good compared to others. I also wouldve leaved anyway after that round since it isnt fun to play against too easy opponents). Wasnt rookie server. Teams were 8-10vs8-10.

• Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    edited April 2013

Does VAC count scripting as a form of cheating?

IMO, scripting a pistol to fire 10 rounds nearly instantly is cheating as is an auto shooting shotgun. At those points, you really aren't doing anything but moving around as the computer is doing the actual combat for you. Begs the question why someone who is totally reliant upon scripting is even playing as they are really the junior partner in a computer-player partnership.

IMO, if you have to rely on scripting, you shouldn't be playing games.