Marine secondary fire: just a novelty?

SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Not sure how much this has been discussed but what is the purpose of the secondary "rifle butt smash" for marines?
Are you supposed to hit skulks with it? How much damage does it do? Does that damage increase with upgrades?
Has anyone actually scored a kill with it?
Also, are there any plans for additional secondary fire actions in the future?

Comments

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Spooge:

It's faster than switching to pistol or axe
    If you pay attention to the damage done you might realize that they are 1 bash away from dieing and can go for it instead of another action

Most would be more curious to know why you cannot bash with other weapons
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've killed plenty of skulks with the rifle butt. I believe it always deals 20 damage.

I would like to see the rifle butt added to the shotgun.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    20 Damage flat, no upgrades effect it. It's the third most satisfying kill method (Welders then Parasite, then rifle butt). At the moment it's a good but underused though I can see how it could be useful.

I think at some point it stunned/knocked back skulks but that was buggy and deemed undesirable (anything that takes control away from the player is bad, stomp is bad enough).

Some interesting ideas were brought up here.
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    Is there some reason why you can't use it with the shotgun? Was it an oversight or was it left out due to balance?
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited March 2013
    Spooge wrote: »
    Is there some reason why you can't use it with the shotgun? Was it an oversight or was it left out due to balance?

Neither I think.
    They just wanted shotgun in, and after that moved on I believe.
    Shotgun was in the game before lmg buck was
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The rifle butt used to stun. It was hilariously overpowered against skulks. It knocked back for awhile too. These were removed and the pretty useless but was left over.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Definitely not just a novelty. I have killed a few skulks with the LMG this way. It really is faster than switching weapons and can save your life in a skulk battle!
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    It is useful but obviously only if you know you did 70+ damage to an uncarapaced skulk. I get most of my melee kills after I emptied my pistol, I switch to the axe and crouch. It's surprisingly effect, I can usually do 30 damage before a bite, and 60 damage after just 1 bite.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Might be useful if it had a reasonable range, particularly when aiming downwards at a skulk. It's incredibly difficult to actually land a blow with it as-is.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    Pretty much a novelty to me. I don't think I've ever used it in game and I never notice it's even there. Every once in a while I'll right click and think "oh yeah" then promptly forget. The only reason it's not been unbound and replaced with map is that aliens use the secondary attack button so much.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calego wrote: »
    It's the third most satisfying kill method (Welders then Parasite, then rifle butt).

Heal spray kills are pretty satisfying too.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited March 2013
    Spooge wrote: »
    Not sure how much this has been discussed but what is the purpose of the secondary "rifle butt smash" for marines?
    Are you supposed to hit skulks with it? How much damage does it do? Does that damage increase with upgrades?
    Has anyone actually scored a kill with it?
    Also, are there any plans for additional secondary fire actions in the future?

If I run out of ammo or cannot change mags in time and I know the enemy is about to die it is called the "bi-yatch slappa!"... When you kill someone that way it's like insulting them at the same time :)
  • john_wesleyjohn_wesley Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183445Members
    The GL could use a melee attack.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I have not had a healspray kill yet. And I so tried.

That said, I had plenty riffle bash kills. faster then switching weapons.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    We didn't want overlap between the different weapons, such as adding the same weapon stock smash to the shotgun as well, and had intended on doing secondary attacks for all the weapons. Unfortunately, in the grand scheme of everything, designing and implementing secondary attacks was just not a high priority, and has remained that way. But I think we'd still like to do something for all of the weapons at some point.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    We didn't want overlap between the different weapons, such as adding the same weapon stock smash to the shotgun as well, and had intended on doing secondary attacks for all the weapons. Unfortunately, in the grand scheme of everything, designing and implementing secondary attacks was just not a high priority, and has remained that way. But I think we'd still like to do something for all of the weapons at some point.

Shock combo pls
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold

Excellent, thank you for letting us know.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester

Or an alternative fire mode in which grenades explode on impact. That would be awesome.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Neoken wrote: »

Or an alternative fire mode in which grenades explode on impact. That would be awesome.

There was a UWE video long time ago that mentioned an idea they had: flamethrower canisters could be thrown as a fire-grenade. Sounds cool.

• IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    rifle butt used to be useful but they nerfed it now you're stuffed most of the time should you run out of ammo.