So marines are using pistol as their main weapon now.

Comments

• xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The problem with high damage is it both lowers the aim requirements, and also increases the burst damage. It also increases the overall damage output unless you lower the clip size. Its far easier IMO to just cap the fire rate to 0.08-.1 and call it a day. Scripting the pistol at that speed its mostly meaningless, and wouldn't provide any tangible benefit.
  • SaegrimrSaegrimr Join Date: 2013-03-20 Member: 184086Members
    edited March 2013
    Not gonna deny there are people using scripts, just saying its not all of us.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    You can click really fast while not aiming. Bravo. Scripts will not only shoot faster than what you've demonstrated, but people who use them can also consistently aim while doing it.
  • SaegrimrSaegrimr Join Date: 2013-03-20 Member: 184086Members
    I couldn't achieve a large enough erection to hold the camera for me while bashing my broken mouse, my apologies.

Unrelated: I like how trying to register on this forum it tells me my password is OK then yells at me because its too weak.
  • john_wesleyjohn_wesley Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183445Members
    @crazyeddie

what mouse do you have and where can I get one?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Saegrimr wrote: »
    Unrelated: I like how trying to register on this forum it tells me my password is OK then yells at me because its too weak.

Try using kk<O02Muiwfse,!

Works well for me.

• GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Pretty much any gaming mouse can do it with your default software. It took me about 20 seconds to make a pistol script on my razor taipan (courtesy of UWE) via razor synapse. Any mouse/keyboard can do it with various script programs. And any macro enabled keyboard can also do it with default keyboard software.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    @crazyeddie

http://www.mpcforum.com/showthread.php?240391-Auto-Pistol-and-Bunnyhop
    http://www.mpcforum.com/showthread.php?249116-AHK-AutoHotKey-RapidFire-Script
    http://www.itsmods.com/forum/Thread-AutoHotKey-RapidFire-Script.html
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=autohotkey+pistol+script

So many ways to achieve this without any gaming™ mouse™ at all™, use a macro™ program™, spend 5™ mins playing around with the settings/keys/delay until you find what you like, save yourself some $$$ and frag some charlies in NS2™ with a true display of skill™.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    As others have pointed out, you can set up rapid fire for your pistol in lots of ways with lots of different pieces of hardware or software, so I wouldn't get this particular mouse for this particular feature. And in fact I didn't.

But since you asked - CM Storm Inferno, and you can get it at online retailers like Amazon or NewEgg.

Xao wrote: »
    a true display of skill™
    Not much skill involved here, of course. That's rather the point.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Saegrimr wrote: »
    Not gonna deny there are people using scripts, just saying its not all of us.

No sane person would think this is an example of scripting. Not even nearly. You would have to half your time to get anywhere near a script.

• matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I don't question that there are people out there who do use scripts/macros to fast fire their pistols. However, I cannot recollect ANY death I've had where I have suspected my killer of using this.

I can imagine how frustrating it would be, though - absolutely. It sounds from these forums as though Australia is a really terrible place to play NS2 compared with... well, everywhere else in the world!

Their morality system must be all upside down over there. :P

What you did there, I see it

--
    Also the biggest issue right now is that that the hard limit of 100ms is not working correctly...

Well, I think I measured the delay from the first bullet to the last bullet at 0.85s ... there are nine delays making up those 0.85s, so the delay between bullets are actually 0.0944 s rather than the intended 0.1 sec ... which is about a 5% difference.

The easiest way to test this, bw, is to just change Pistol.lua from

function Pistol:GetPrimaryAttackRequiresPress()
    return true
    end

... to return false, and you get an auto-fire pistol. Oh, and to get more precision, you can up the ammo level to 100 by changing

local kClipSize = 10

... to 100. Use a stopwatch and measure it. Or do a Log("%s: fired @ %s", self, Shared.GetTime()) in the Pistol:FirePrimary() function if you want millisecond prec.

(make a backup copy of Pistol.lua before changing it so you can restore it properly; otherwise you will have problems with the consistency checking when playing on other servers).

Now, if you can find a script that can fire off those 100 shots faster than the auto-fire pistol, you have found a genuine bug.

Now, the pistol ROF may still be high enough that scripting gives you too much of an advantage ... but there does not seem to be a bug with the pistol ROF (off by 5% is close enough for me).
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think its more that the animation is not blocking, so you can start 'firing' again before the first firing animation completes. When just holding the button down everything triggers as intended.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    xDragon wrote: »
    The problem with high damage is it both lowers the aim requirements, and also increases the burst damage. It also increases the overall damage output unless you lower the clip size. Its far easier IMO to just cap the fire rate to 0.08-.1 and call it a day. Scripting the pistol at that speed its mostly meaningless, and wouldn't provide any tangible benefit.
    It would certainly make the pistol more shotgun-like, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Of all the marine weapons, the shotgun feels and handles the best imo. I'm also not a fan of the 'aim requirement' of the rifle, as it feels much more spammy than the precision required for the shotgun.

Though, you are right that the fire rate cap would work just fine (and I believe it technically is 0.1 right now and might just bugged).
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2013
    I'm not saying that pistol scripts are ok. I'm saying that how fast someone can fire a gun in real life does not matter at all in a video game that has extra-dimensional butthole flowers.
    Try to fire that fast with your mouse... Because yes, you are not firing a real gun, with your real hands, you are pressing a real button with your real hands while at the same time, moving that real mouse on a 2 axis plane to reproduce the movement you want (or think you are doing) in a fake 3D world, which the only representation you have, come from a 2D plane with limited refresh rate and that is really small.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    xDragon wrote: »
    Its far easier IMO to just cap the fire rate to 0.08-.1 and call it a day. Scripting the pistol at that speed its mostly meaningless, and wouldn't provide any tangible benefit.

This is simply not true. It is dramatically easier to aim at a moving target while holding down the mouse button than while clicking the mouse button as fast as you can. There is no way to make this fair - even just binding a keyboard button to attack is a substantial advantage over Mouse 1.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sometimes I bait lerks with a pistol to hide the fact that I have a shotgun in my pockets. >:)
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    this issue was discussed in its entirety about 2-3 weeks ago.

do we really have to exhume our old posts to contribute?

nah, i'd rather just remove my dirty underwear and leave them here as a sign of disgust.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    draktok wrote: »
    It's easier, for me personally, to land bullets left clicking quickly because I can "stop" firing. When you press a script, it's done. It shoots all the ammo assuming the script works and it reloads or changes guns. That's about it.

alternatively you could be smart and have mouse4 do a burst fire (3shots) at X interval. only want to fire 3 shots? tap it once. want to fire all of them? hit it 4 times quickly, it'll be practically the same speed as any other script.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited March 2013
    Fun fact: This is off-topic, but I have quite a few mice, and on some mice clicking fast is vastly harder than on some. A gaming mouse with a hard case and tactile buttons makes it very feasible, but a larger mouse with a slightly softer surface makes it near impossible because the pressing power required is much greater. (Never thought of stuff like this, is silly, but anyhow.)
    Edit: is ridiculously easy with my razer salmosa korean edition, it has super tiny little buttons.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Hmm, 350ms delay on shooting? First of all it isn't hard to shoot 10 bullets in 1 second (0.1s delay), 350ms would be quite annoying to shoot, it'll look more like an internal engine delay or bug. NS worked with 100ms, NS2 should have its click delay fixed, like I said the 100ms delay isn't working correctly making it possible to empty the gun a tiny bit faster then half a second

I don't think .35 would be too bad if the magazine was taken down to 6 and the damage per shot was increased accordingly. It would make it feel like a heavy hitting space revolver or something... i mean, i know it's not a revolver lol but that's kind of what i'm thinking of, something like your typical .44 magnum in most games
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Why does it matter how fast you can click?

What should matter is how fast a fast shooter can fire his gun IRL.

Any game needs suspension of disbelief, you know that as well as I do, marines are still supposed to be just humans and they need to function as such.

There are such things as automatic pistols. And frankly realism is not a priority of this game in any sense of the word.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    I only got 68 at that guinness record test but I've been accused of pistol-scripting in game, go figure.
    Though to be fair, 10 seconds is too long to be relevant to this discussions, as fatigue comes in after a while. It's how fast you can click in the first 2 - 3 seconds that matters.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In all honesty, it isn't hard to fire the pistol fast at all. With practice or just a natural fast finger, some people to you might seem that are using scripts when really they aren't
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    72 here, and spookily consistent with that (71 or 72 in 5 out of 6 attempts!). Not on my home mouse though, just on my crappy work mouse... might try that when I get home :)
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    I don't think that 120 is a record...
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Roobubba wrote: »
    72 here, and spookily consistent with that (71 or 72 in 5 out of 6 attempts!). Not on my home mouse though, just on my crappy work mouse... might try that when I get home :)

90, do you kids even lift?

Really we just need to maybe increase the internal cooldown between shots to a point where it isn't a HUGE advantage over doing it manually. Honestly, people will always script things like this to get an edge, so you want to reduce the impact of it without giving in and just changing the mechanic to something more boring.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    The pistol is a good weapon just with normal clicking.

If you can make a script to make it fully automatic, it's probably better than the rifle.

Probably shouldn't be able to make scripts to do that, I think.
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
    Some people were saying the limit for emptying the pistol using script was 0.4s. This is simply not true, I have observed it being emptied in around 0.1-.2 - it sounds simply like a single sound (I was not experiencing any lag at the time) - so I don't know where this 0.4 seconds number came from.

Anyway. It's not fixed. And I simply won't play until it is. Not because it's ruining my fun as much, but on principle. An FPS developer should show the integrity to remove the possibility of exploits and cheats from the game, especially one that wants their game to be taken seriously as 'competitive'.