So marines are using pistol as their main weapon now.

124»

Comments

• NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited March 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Hmm, 350ms delay on shooting? First of all it isn't hard to shoot 10 bullets in 1 second (0.1s delay), 350ms would be quite annoying to shoot, it'll look more like an internal engine delay or bug. NS worked with 100ms, NS2 should have its click delay fixed, like I said the 100ms delay isn't working correctly making it possible to empty the gun a tiny bit faster then half a second

I don't think .35 would be too bad if the magazine was taken down to 6 and the damage per shot was increased accordingly. It would make it feel like a heavy hitting space revolver or something... i mean, i know it's not a revolver lol but that's kind of what i'm thinking of, something like your typical .44 magnum in most games
    If the damage was increased in proportion to this decreased ROF, the pistol would truly become the main weapon of choice in early game. Are these calculations correct btw? 3.5*25 = 87.5 light damage per shot. (87.5-40)-70 = 22.5 HP and no armor left on a vanilla skulk. A second shot means .7s total in order to kill the skulk. Using the current pistol, it takes five pistol shots to kill a vanilla skulk within .5s. Sure, it takes slightly less time to kill, but you only have to fire twice using the proposed pistol. Two marines can instantly kill a skulk using a single bullet each. They would be able to kill 6 vanilla skulks within 3.5s without needing to reload.

This would be hilariously overpowered in early game. It would be suicide for skulks to peek out even for an instant, taking network latency, hardware latency, and the current lag compensation into account. I propose leaving the damage intact and setting the ROF to something like .2s. As it is, I imagine that most people (barring competitive players) spend 3+ seconds shooting 10 bullets if they're furiously tracking aliens. A .2s ROF would still offer a good skill ceiling for competitive players who are able to shoot quickly and track accurately at the same time.
    Neoken wrote: »
    109. Arm starts getting tired around 7s, though. :(
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Industry wrote: »
    Roobubba wrote: »
    72 here, and spookily consistent with that (71 or 72 in 5 out of 6 attempts!). Not on my home mouse though, just on my crappy work mouse... might try that when I get home :)

90, do you kids even lift?

Man, that'd be popular with the ladies. IfyaknowwhatImean
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Neoken wrote: »
    40 when clicking like I would if I was aiming, 80 if I position my hand so I can mash the button as fast as possible.

I'll do it again on the weekend, when my hands aren't cramped from chipping concrete all day.

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited March 2013
    Some people were saying the limit for emptying the pistol using script was 0.4s. This is simply not true, I have observed it being emptied in around 0.1-.2 - it sounds simply like a single sound (I was not experiencing any lag at the time) - so I don't know where this 0.4 seconds number came from.

Anyway. It's not fixed. And I simply won't play until it is. Not because it's ruining my fun as much, but on principle. An FPS developer should show the integrity to remove the possibility of exploits and cheats from the game, especially one that wants their game to be taken seriously as 'competitive'.

Are you sure that's not just latency messing with stuff?

As in it's being fired over a longer period, but you got a packet update which contained all of that information and the game updated it onto your screen a bit faster to catch up with the lag?

Basically, imagine the shooting equivalent of the teleporting glitch from counterstrike, the player isn't actually moving that fast, your client just updated from location A to location B really quickly. Or in this case, updated from 0 shots fired to 10 shots fired very quickly.

I mean, it's a general problem with the game where you die before you even realise you were being shot at due to lag, so I would assume it's a problem where the game can hit you with all 10 bullets before you realise anyone started shooting.
  • LagLightLagLight Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149708Members
    I think the pistol is fine. If Marines are walking into a room pistol first, good on them in my opinion. It reminds me of my NS1 experiences where the pistol could be an absolute nightmare.

To me the pistol is not really a secondary weapon like most traditional FPS games, its more like another main weapon that just fits a different role. I use the pistol as my starting weapon if I was entering a room that I know will have a target for me (Like an RT under attack). But if I am running around the map with no Intel, I would have the Rifle out because its better for when you get ambushed.

As for the script I have yet to really see it offer any distinct advantage to players or cause me any grief what so ever. If I start seeing marines with a 50 : 0 KD ratio while instantly DPS'ing Lerks or Gorges down, then I will be concerned, But if a Skulk dies to a pistol script, boohoo go behind next time.

Also grab Carapace if they are using pistol scripts. Carapace works even better against the Pistol because it deals 'Light' damage.
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    edited March 2013
    stop scripts. stop ppl from editing their models. models that are changed to stick out = cheating. idc what anyone says. it's cheating.

*edit* otherwise, there will be a ton of people cheating in every way soon. up to you UWE.. I know getting money at PAX is really important (to you), but cheating needs to be stopped. especially when u allow an infinite amount of players to play the game for free... did you not think there would be trolls? or just not care bc it is below you?
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    So has anyone that stats on rifle vs pistol dps? I'm kinda goin for the rifle over a 5 second time interval intuitivley, might be wrong though ...
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Some people were saying the limit for emptying the pistol using script was 0.4s. This is simply not true, I have observed it being emptied in around 0.1-.2 - it sounds simply like a single sound (I was not experiencing any lag at the time) - so I don't know where this 0.4 seconds number came from.

I doubt a human can tell the difference between 100, 200 or 400 milliseconds.
  • TerranigmaTerranigma Join Date: 2010-04-03 Member: 71158Members
    LagLight wrote: »
    Also grab Carapace if they are using pistol scripts. Carapace works even better against the Pistol because it deals 'Light' damage.

What kind of argument is this! If they using out-of-game scripts or keyboard-macros I should use in-game means to counter this kind of behaviour. Seriously, that is absurd. The pistol needs a hard cooldown that stops using scripts in such a way, simple as that. I won't adapt my strategy as alien with regard to the question whether they use scrips or not. What a player does out-of-game should simply have no impact on a competitive game, otherwise, it violates the rule of thumb "Equal chances for everyone".

Skulks don't get carapace even just because I sit with a bulletproof vest in front of the monitor, but the pistol turns into an uzi because people can currently use macros and scripts. As this phenomenon start to become more popular the devs should really counteract by implementing a hard cooldown. Most people won't notice this.
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
    |strofix| wrote: »

As an audio engineer and producer I can tell the difference, and quite easily at that.

To compare in a way you might easier understand, it's like the difference between a DSLR camera set to 3 captures per second and 8, it's night and day.
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    Grizeen wrote: »
    stop scripts. stop ppl from editing their models. models that are changed to stick out = cheating. idc what anyone says. it's cheating.

*edit* otherwise, there will be a ton of people cheating in every way soon. up to you UWE.. I know getting money at PAX is really important (to you), but cheating needs to be stopped. especially when u allow an infinite amount of players to play the game for free... did you not think there would be trolls? or just not care bc it is below you?

The autoshotgun script and pistol script are super annoying. As are the servers that allow the glow in the dark alien textures.

If TF2's spy autobackstab script is cheating, I don't see how the autoshotgun script isn't.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    What is an autoshotgun script?
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    GORGEous wrote: »

Turns your shottie into a car. It's totally OP.
  • sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    Pistol scripting was an issue in the first game. How would you not expect retards to do the same thing in NS2...
    It's cheating. But because we can't really do anything about it, people using them are convinced they're not.

It's not cheating, otherwise you will call bunnyhopping cheating. It's an unintended exploit or side affect that has been found in the game. Any competitive player will want any advantage they can get. It's not "expecting retards to use it"... it's expecting good players to get an even better advantage where they can. If you don't use it, then it is your loss.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    sju wrote: »
    Pistol scripting was an issue in the first game. How would you not expect retards to do the same thing in NS2...
    It's cheating. But because we can't really do anything about it, people using them are convinced they're not.

It's not cheating, otherwise you will call bunnyhopping cheating. It's an unintended exploit or side affect that has been found in the game. Any competitive player will want any advantage they can get. It's not "expecting retards to use it"... it's expecting good players to get an even better advantage where they can. If you don't use it, then it is your loss.

Would you care to explain just how you think bunnyhopping is possible in ns2?

Similarly, pistol macros/scripts/mousewheel binds are not 'in the game' and the ability to empty the pistol in less than 1s should not be in the game at present. Subverting these intended limits IS cheating. Claiming that, because it can be done, it's legal is totally ridiculous. You could get a wallhack, you could get luminescent skulks, are those things legal, too?
  • sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    I did not say bunnyhopping is possible in ns2. I used bunnyhopping as an example of a game mechanic that has come from an exploit.
  • mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    |strofix| wrote: »

As an audio engineer and producer I can tell the difference, and quite easily at that.

To compare in a way you might easier understand, it's like the difference between a DSLR camera set to 3 captures per second and 8, it's night and day.

Bahaha, that's entirely different. I can too when I'm sitting there editing my tracks.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    GORGEous wrote: »

Srsly, wat?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow

If it's not cheating then that's all the more reason it should be incorporated into the game out of the box.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If TF2's spy autobackstab script is cheating, I don't see how the autoshotgun script isn't.

Hmmm I'm in need of a new signature...
    I did not say bunnyhopping is possible in ns2. I used bunnyhopping as an example of a game mechanic that has come from an exploit.

And a mechanic that in some games WAS considered an exploit and was banned...

That aside, my other points were the more pertinent...
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I've found it pretty disappointing that quite a lot of the regular pistol script/macro tw@ts in Aus didn't even put the scripts away for the free weekend ground skulks. Had to explain to one free weekender about it after they question why one guy kept pistol "head shotting" them as skulk. Certainly from the com view where I was it sounded like one loud bang every time he unloaded the pistol.

On the other hand maybe it's better they did keep cheating with them this weekend, you wouldn't want to give out a false impression.