Gorge Tunnels - should they allow cyst placement

2»

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Sewlek wrote: »
    sounds like a good idea, but this will cause a similar issue as the old minicysts: gorge creates infestation, gorge changes mind and relocated tunnel entrance to somewhere else -> cyst chains break, infestation recedes and all structures die

Take tunnels away from Gorges and give them to Kham.

Kham drops tunnel, but since it's not on infestation, a Gorge is required to build it.

Makes a lot more sense from a strategical point of view, too - Khammander is the one who's supposed to make the call where to put a tunnel useful for the entire team, not a Gorge. Unless this is a secret plot by Gorges to overthrow the khammander in a later patch...
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited March 2013
    guys i just realized how fucking worth it this would be! imagine you have marines comming in base taking out upgrades sneaky while aliens are pushing out on the map, well guess what? aliens sneak you right back by putting an entrance or exit somewhere really unconventional or hard to reach like on top of smelting roof or in the ore processing ventilation room in tram then drop like ALL the upgrades around the tunnel as a remote location for hidden upgrades, surely a marines can go trough the tunnel thats why it is a high risk high reward scenario just like they said but thats why you dont put the tunnel visible or easy to find in the first place! only the EXIT has to be functioning like a cyst so there will always be a way to find where the upgrades or shift or harvester is, whatever aliens decide to build on the other end. Otherwise you gonna go gorge and invest in an entrance at any given point and it would be abused at that low price range. so 10 for gorge 10 for entrance and 10 for EXIT so at that personal price we can se harvesters or shift in new location and it would not be so overkill. maby do so the entrance has to be on infection in order for the exit to work like a cyst. The tunnel is made of infection entirely inside so if its not on a cyst in the first place the exit wont be connected till the entrance is on infestation again. You can have a remote upgrade station as aliens someplace hidden and while marines think they got the upper hand and aliens barely anything you bring in the big guns! :D ooooohnooooooeees! but devs plz think about it, marines can build a face gate to any location and from that armory armslab obs prototype cc whatever it is you name it. they have option to build EVERYTHING just from a single facegate, why not give aliens that option and count the tunnel as an actual cyst to spread the infestation past the marines and behind the overdedicated marines in the front lines! this will give more depth or tactic than just try run straight out in a corridor with 5 marines facing you with shotguns randomly blasting everything from the same position till 20 minutes has passed and they got every tech upgrade :)
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    Facegates?

That made me giggle.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I kind of feel like this is one of those things would greatly improve infestation as a mechanic overall. Right now, it's mind-numbingly plain and boring (expand, expand, replace, expand, blah, blah) and only serves as a needless restriction. This would actually create an interesting scenario for a khamm for once that warrants a restriction in the first place. It's probably worth all the problems that come with it being temporary and at the whim of the gorge to be honest.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Would kind of be a nice mechanic added to the game.... how would it work, would the tunnel connect infested point A to un-cysted point B and due tot he tunnel the Kahm could now start cysting the area where B is?

If so I'd be game to give it a try.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    wow, think of all the fast-expand possibilities. you wouldn't have to even cyst into a base after you killed it...just have a gorge drop a tunnel there and you're in business. no risking of cyst chain involved!
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What I would do with gorge tunnels is give them to the Khamm, reduce the cost to research them by 10 res, then allow for an upgrade to be done directly to a tunnel entrance for 5 res that causes it to generate infestation. You could call the upgrade "Polyps" or something.
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    edited March 2013
    maybe make it so the infestation only grows if the room isnt powered (or in a room that doesn't need power)..?
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    Calego wrote: »
    *Cough Cough*
    hakenspit wrote: »
    I think simplest solution is that a gorge tunnel exit/entrance acts like a cyst and allows other cysts to be placed near it (independent of a chain).
    Would add some interesting tactics and give aliens a chance of holding nano on veil even if they cant secure space between it and their hive.
    I think it's definitely worth testing out.

I didn't see this previous thread - my bad! :(
  • EvisceratorEviscerator Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13946Members, Constellation
    If the tunnel is destroyed, then all of those cysts would end up disconnected, and could be a horrible death for all of the structures connected to the infestation. The khamm would then be forced into trying to find a cysting route to reconnect them. In which case, why bother in the first place?
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    If the tunnel is destroyed, then all of those cysts would end up disconnected, and could be a horrible death for all of the structures connected to the infestation. The khamm would then be forced into trying to find a cysting route to reconnect them. In which case, why bother in the first place?

Why try win the game when you may lose anyway?

• NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    It is at this point Hero Gorge emerges from the shadows with his cape flapping in the wind.

• RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    I love how much people personify the Gorge - but yes; cutting the tunnel is a tactical success. As is defending a forward location which forces the Marines to fight on more fronts (which generally benefits aliens)

All hail the Tunnel cyst!

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Namm wrote: »
    Agreed. How about if one of the ends is infested, Infestation will automatically spread through the Gorge Tunnel and out the other end?

I like this idea, still provides risk because it connects back to alien territory (rather than a gorge just dropping two buttholes way over in marine territory).

Plus, if this were implemented, I guarantee that I will take every opportunity to alert my commander about "possible anal seepage coming from the back."

bongofish wrote: »
    Facegates?

That made me giggle.

oh my english is the 3rd languige i learned i learned by watching movies and episodes online.
    i always said facegates i guess it sounds silly when you break it down but as i pronounce the PH it becomes F so i accidently typed it aswell sorry

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    RadimaX wrote: »
    bongofish wrote: »
    Facegates?

That made me giggle.

oh my english is the 3rd languige i learned i learned by watching movies and episodes online.
    i always said facegates i guess it sounds silly when you break it down but as i pronounce the PH it becomes F so i accidently typed it aswell sorry

Most of us only know one language, and even that not very well.

• FirebreathingmaniacFirebreathingmaniac Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184057Members
    edited March 2013
    Namm wrote: »
    It is at this point Hero Gorge emerges from the shadows with his cape flapping in the wind.

His cape would be the flaps of his back and his sidekick Mr. Babbler`s only abilities are absorb 2 bullets and die, run away, and hey guys lets be meat shields. Together they fight the evil human organization only known as the dreaded TSF.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited March 2013
    Like I said in the other tread suggesting this, the only way I would be on board with this is if "gorge" tunnels were to become commander only buildings.

With tunnels acting as cysts, they become a much, much more strategic tool. But a strategic tool bought with player res..... which means in larger games it will be much easier for aliens to do this strategy. And I hate things that make the game highly volatile and unstable as player count changes..we already have enough of that.

Not only is stuff like this making balancing all different player counts a nightmare, but larger games have already become too disconnected from 6v6 comp matches. Its the main reason I have problems following the comp scene in NS2 (a shame) since I know pro players are essentially not playing the same game I'm playing. Unlike SC2 and MOBA games which the pros are playing under the same rules and environment as everyone else..just at a much higher skill level of course.

If this were a commander only building that needed team res, then yea this could be an option if properly priced. The commander can choose to spend res on rapid expansion (via tunnels) at the expense of economy/research/support..ect..
    Sewlek wrote: »
    sounds like a good idea, but this will cause a similar issue as the old minicysts: gorge creates infestation, gorge changes mind and relocated tunnel entrance to somewhere else -> cyst chains break, infestation recedes and all structures die

Its a good point, and it happened enough back when gorges could drop mini-cysts and I don't see why it wouldn't happen here too. Its one more reason why it should be a commander ability. Gorge tunnels imo, don't really add much to gorge gameplay...other than make the gorge player feel like they are a mini commander. Sure you see gorge spam exits with hydras, but they could do the same with commander dropped tunnels. Just have it so gorge heal spray is required to build an exit thats off infestation.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm totally for this idea. It gives the aliens an equivalent to the ninja phase gate
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    +1 to switching gorge tunnels to the comm. Half the time I'm asking the comm where he wants it anyways.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is a good idea. hopefully UWE can play around with this and the play testers can see if it acctually works.
    yeah entrance and exit could act as an actual cyst for simplicity but that would unfortunatly be abused by aliens running to other side of the map and evolving to gorge and drop a tunnel entrance so they can cyst harvester close to it.
    Unless the entrance is not on the infestation, the EXIT that gonna act like a cyst on the other side of the map cannot spread the infestation to a harvester. i think then instead of cysting to harvesters commanders gonna research tunnels for 30 and drop harvesters left and right if both entrance and exit is a "cyst"
    RadimaX wrote: »
    yeah entrance and exit could act as an actual cyst for simplicity but that would unfortunatly be abused by aliens running to other side of the map and evolving to gorge and drop a tunnel entrance so they can cyst harvester close to it.
    Unless the entrance is not on the infestation, the EXIT that gonna act like a cyst on the other side of the map cannot spread the infestation to a harvester. i think then instead of cysting to harvesters commanders gonna research tunnels for 30 and drop harvesters left and right if both entrance and exit is a "cyst"

Makes sense that only an exit would have the excretions. Plus, you'd have to ninja over to enemy territory as a gorge (or de-evolve into skulk then re-evolve, thereby throwing away a lot of PRES).