Few ideas and a few kind words for developers

2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Hi all. I apologize for my bad English.
First of all, I want to thank the developers and all those who participated and helped create this game. I was waiting for this game for years, and this game totally lived up to my expectations and more. I think you've put all your love to the creation and improvement of the game (I especially want to highlight your efforts to improve the game, your job with the lighting update on maps is gorgeous!) - it is very rare nowadays. I hope that you will be well rewarded for all your efforts. Big thanks to all of you!
Secondly, I would like to offer a few ideas that have emerged in my head a couple of hours ago, a few ideas that may be interest to you and help you in the future to make this game even more interesting.
I loved all the changes in "Gorgeous" update, except for the introduction of "tracert" effect for Lerks shooting, because i can't anymore play with my favorite style - sit in a dark corner and completely annoying marines :P (by the way, I have a little idea, I will describe it below)
So it's time to move on to the presentation my ideas. The first two ideas came to my mind after re-watching this trailer.

1) Watch 10-15 seconds of this trailer and imagine a new piece of game mechanics ... some kind of "welding system of metal doors" ... "sealing system of doors"! And only Onos can break this "sealed" door! (or not only Onos!) Like in trailer! It is a pure idea, I have not thought about the details of implementation, but if you are interested we can think about all the details! The first ideas that come to my mind right now is sealing some doors by some kind of improved welder, or welding machine, or welder upgrade for Exo-suit! You can add this mechanic with new maps, or new big updates, like Gorgeous etc :)

2) Watch this moment and imagine some kind of "replacement" for Fade Vortex ability (as you probably know, this ability is used very rarely). Replacement or addition is: Fade stabs its claws into marine shoulders, so that marine loses control for a short time of 1.5-3 seconds, and begin to shoot in different directions ... or maybe even Fade can for this time control a marine! by some kind of "mind control parasite" on his claws! and at this time a marine can injure or even kill his comrades with his rifle or flamethrower!!! and at this time it will serve as a living shield for the Fade! Just imagine!

3) Well, now I would like to suggest a very small change that I would like to see in the next update - "tracerts" of Lerk range shooting with "Silence" update become invisible, as it did before the Gorgeous update. I suggest this idea for saving some of the original game mechanics, i think that the "silent and hardly detectable Lerk" tactics would look quite logical for those who prefer "Silence" instead of "Camouflage" upgrade.

Thank you for your attention guys, I hope someone of the developers read my post and leave a message here.

Comments

• EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The first one would be awesome, just like you could weld vents closed in ns1.
  • zyabazyaba Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184033Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great idea with doors! With this feature the game seems to be even more interesting to play :)
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    Weldables are already in the works. It was a staple and integral part of NS1, it was just never fully incorporated into NS2.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Fade stab was in the beta but it was removed before release. (It was just a slower but higher damage dealing attack) It wasn't perceived to be a viable secondary attack though some competitive players managed to use it with great success. I do wish they'd bring it back in one form or another.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    Please don't implement any more attacks that take control away from the player. Mind control, as in your proposal for the Fade, just doesn't work (read: it's no fun) in a PvP scenario! We already have stomp which is an incredibly annoying trait along with dozens of screen obscuring abilities that take away from the experience of the attacked player and render him (semi) impotent to react to the thread at hand.

I'm sorry to say, I also don't like your third idea. Making certain traits give certain abilities for certain lifeforms makes the whole thing unreasonably complicated imo. Better weaken the spike trails or or provide some audio clues when the Lerk is shooting.

I agree on your rhapsody though! NS2 just keeps on getting even better and better! Thanks UWE, may your road be paved with money and the benignant Gorgess always smile at you!
    @KwisatzHaderach
    I expected such reaction to "mind control" abilities and I agree with you. Users do not like to lose control.
    No fun left to play as lerk with his spike trails :(
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    zyaba wrote: »
    @KwisatzHaderach
    I expected such reaction to "mind control" abilities and I agree with you. Users do not like to lose control.
    No fun left to play as lerk with his spike trails :(
    Even with the lerk trails, I'm finding it awesome fun to play as lerk lately. I never really got into it, but I've been practising and now I have so say I love it. Need to play some public gathers on ENSL where I lerk as the next step to get more experience against really decent marines - this is going to be painful - but public server lerking is kinda ridiculous at the moment!
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    @zyaba lerks right now in public servers are virtually unkillable if they have any sort've decent movement skill - it's massively depressing to play against them. As a single marine you have no chance of killing a skilled lerk :(

This is somewhat bittered by a game on veil yesterday when a very good player managed to convince the comm to drop him a lerk egg at round start, the guy then precded to go 39/0 at which point he died and went Onos. It was very very annoying to play against as even trying to flank and trap him into area's to catch him as he re-treated with the up/down/side to side movement you can do while flapping its extremely difficult to lay even a few bullets on a good lerk :(

read:Single good lerks OP against marines with limited team play :(
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Well a lerk is 30 res I'd hope the poor bastard is unkillable 1v1. If teamwork isn't the way then use your teammates as bait and wait at his escape route, he should be wounded enough for the kill. They get ever so tetchy about it to.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Macro Positioning.

That's how to take down lerks and fades if you don't have shotguns (and can use them), and is the best way to take down ANY alien and properly defend your expansion. The minimap is invaluable for this, as is clear and efficient communication between players.

Example:

Aliens have sub access hive on summit. 2 Marines in flight get attacked by a fade.
    Marine in Crossroads sees this on minimap (or is told) and runs to comp lab as early and fast as possible.

Fade either kills both marines then retreats for healing, or kills 1 or 0 marines, and retreats for healing. Comp lab marine finishes him off as he backs out of flight control.

[A stupid fade in this scenario (like me) accidentally goes via Atrium where the marine base is, runs into 3 marines in Reactor Core on 45 health and dies instantly.]

Same is true of any alien lifeform, and this is the basis of good teamwork.
    edited March 2013
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    Well a lerk is 30 res I'd hope the poor bastard is unkillable 1v1. If teamwork isn't the way then use your teammates as bait and wait at his escape route, he should be wounded enough for the kill. They get ever so tetchy about it to.

I did this over and over, it wasn't 1v1, it was frequently him + 1 skulk taking out 2/3 marines in Nano for example, then retreating through East Wing into C12 - I'd setup in East Wing and another in C12 and he'd still get by us :( As I said, he was damn good :(

Annoyingly everyone else who went lerk to copy him got torn to pieces!

I know all the theory about intercepting retreating aliens while they are low and ambushing them etc; it just happened it never worked against this guy :(
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Then your team isn't good enough and should lose.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Rippsy wrote: »

I did this over and over, it wasn't 1v1, it was frequently him + 1 skulk taking out 2/3 marines in Nano for example, then retreating through East Wing into C12 - I'd setup in East Wing and another in C12 and he'd still get by us :( As I said, he was damn good :(

Annoyingly everyone else who went lerk to copy him got torn to pieces!

I know all the theory about intercepting retreating aliens while they are low and ambushing them etc; it just happened it never worked against this guy :(

Sometiems people are just really good at lerking or fading or skulking. And despite what a lot of people might think, the onos takes a lot of skill aswell.
    Not much you can in those situations except try your best and hope that its good enough.
    edited March 2013
    You could set up lerk traps.
    Place 3 mines next to each other on the [b][u]ceiling[/u][/b] of an entrance or room and hope that it kills a lerk instead of a skulk.
    Ohnojojo wrote: »
    Sometiems people are just really good at lerking or fading or skulking. And despite what a lot of people might think, the onos takes a lot of skill aswell.
    Not much you can in those situations except try your best and hope that its good enough.

Oh I totally agree we were utterly out classed, it was just really annoying - as with out him on the enemy team it would've been an extremely close game, we were very evenly matched in all other encounters :(

Anyway shall we return back to the topic? :D

Ohnojojo wrote: »

Oh I totally agree we were utterly out classed, it was just really annoying - as with out him on the enemy team it would've been an extremely close game, we were very evenly matched in all other encounters :(

Anyway shall we return back to the topic? :D

Okay.
    1) Door Welding is a feature that is in the works and will be in the game eventually.
    2) Fades definately need another ability. Vortex is too much of a niche ability. The only situations in which vortex is really useful is against an exo or shotgun marine in team battles. Vortex could be used to temporaily reduce the high burst damage that marines have. Otherwise... you're basically giving marines invulnerability for a few seconds. Giving them time to reload or think about their next move.
    I'd like to see the return of acid rocket. Acid rocket was really useful in the late game of NS1, you rarely got kills with it but acid rocket was a nice way of slowly reducing the marine's health and armor from a safe vantage point. It also made xenocide, much more effective as a result. AND it was really satisfying hitting a fast-moving jetpacker with an acid rocket.
    3) Silence Lerk + Invisible Spikes is a good idea. I liked the lerk before he had tracers, I still like the lerk now and his spikes are still pretty deadly. But it makes me wonder if that'll eliminate camoflauge as a viable options for lerks.
    1) Weldable doors are going to be extremely dangerous imo. Vents I totally see as a viable for weld treatment, but doors just strike me as very dangerous.

It means the aliens can build up a whole base on the other side (arc's not withstanding) in perfect safety knowing once the Onos' come rolling in they can assault through this area which was until recently an unpassable wall!

2) Fades for me fall into the life form explosion category, singularly they are a bit annoying. But if you fail to kill them frequently and the enemy team ends up with 3 Fades, 2 Lerks and a few Gorges there's very little marines can do to stop the eventual onslaught. But that said a lone fade right now can feel quite weak at times - and I think I've only used Vortex twice! ... ever. so yeah something new would be nice!

3) I don't think lerks are fine as they are - they have a high skill ceiling but they are devastatingly good at map control/area denial in their current form. Being able to locate a lerk doesn't really make a huge difference to its effectiveness short of being "that annoying thing which keeps doing 5hp of damage to *structure*" I like that trials keep the lerks in fights, not faffing around.

I feel like I've just shot everything down, that really wasn't my intention was just explaining my view on the topics :(
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for attention guys, I hope developers will pay attention to this topic and will answer what they think about this :)
    edited March 2013

Only yesterday I found out that Lerk + Skulk are damn good :D

One Lerk and a skulk can easily destroy 3 marines if they time the ambush properly (yey micro tactics)