Relatively new, some comp play questions.

dToxdTox Join Date: 2013-03-13 Member: 183939Members
edited March 2013 in Competitive Play
Hello all,

I played NS1 heavily back in its original beta stage in between Vampire Slayer, Battlegrounds and a myriad of other HL1 mods. I didn't care much for competitive play back then but i enjoyed the shit out of NS1.

So here i am at NS2 10 years later with a bit more experience under my belt in terms of e-sports. I played a lot of heavy SC2 in the high-master leagues and play Dota 2 at a casual/competitive level. Was looking to jump into NS2 some more but had some questions.

1) How are these maps balanced and which are considered the 'most' balanced? As there is no symmetry isn't it impossible to truly balance?

2) How do competitive teams pick their race per-match in a league game?

3) Is there somewhere more specific i can go to view strategy guides, tech tree's and map lists?

Many thanks guys im excited for what the future of NS2 holds!

Comments

• ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    Welcome to NS2.

1. I am unsure weather there are any consensus, but I like summit, tram and veil. These maps are also the common maps played.

2. When you play a map, you play 2 rounds. So you play both races.

3. I know NS2HD made some tutorials, you can watch them ingame. Also, you can always watch some comp streams to gain some basic knowledge for common strats. But at the end of the day, you have to play in order to understand things.

Playing gathers at ensl.org is a good place to start if you wanna learn the game. If you are looking for a team, there is a sticky in here where you can post that you are interested.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    1. Summit, summit, and more summit; though the comp map selection has expanded to include tram, veil, descent, icarus, and jambi.

2. NS2's a bit funky in that you play both sides once for each matchup. In SC2, it'd be like every league matchup consisting of actually 9 games where you play every combo of zerg, terran, and protoss (e.g. ZvT, ZvP, ZvZ, TvT, TvP, TvZ, PvP, PvT, PvZ = one matchup). However, it works much better in the NS2 format and gets around the various balance issues between the sides.

3. There is no centralized location and not much specific to comp play. However, some useful resources are:
    NS2 Wiki: http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/index.php/Main_Page
    List of NS2 Stream Channels: http://ns2hub.com/streams
    ENSL (Natural Selection League): http://www.ensl.org/
    Blind's Advanced Newbie Guide: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/122441/video-ns2-advanced-newbie-guide
    GodofThunder's General Strat Guide: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/119041/general-ns2-commander-strategies-and-guides/p1
  • dToxdTox Join Date: 2013-03-13 Member: 183939Members
    Great guys thanks for the replies and insight. I guess having to play BOTH teams in each map does help alleviate some balance issues and concerns i had. I look forward to delving into NS2 deeper and seeing where the scene goes! See you all in game!
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    1. Summit, summit, and more summit; though the comp map selection has expanded to include tram, veil, descent, icarus, and jambi.

Forgot to ask, why is Summit and these other maps considered 'balanced' then? Or at least, more balanced than the others?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    dTox wrote: »
    Forgot to ask, why is Summit and these other maps considered 'balanced' then? Or at least, more balanced than the others?
    Mostly because of the reasons Scrajm listed in his thread.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    edited March 2013
    Mostly because of the reasons Scrajm listed in his thread.

i just noticed how awesome his post really is. from now on, everytime someone is asking about this we can just link them to the post :D
    edited March 2013
    Hey guys another question, any reason why no servers use the comp play formats? Like 12 player servers that cycle the comp play maps? I really prefer the smaller sized servers, 16 players, it just feels much more tactical and skill-based as opposed to two sides zerging it out! :)
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    edited March 2013
    Hey guys another question, any reason why no servers use the comp play formats? Like 12 player servers that cycle the comp play maps? I really prefer the smaller sized servers, 16 players, it just feels much more tactical and skill-based as opposed to two sides zerging it out! :)

It is almost impossible to fill up 12 Player max Servers but if you want i can put 1 or 2 servers up. (NA or EU only and they have to be in use !)
    Gamerkatze wrote: »

It is almost impossible to fill up 12 Player max Servers but if you want i can put 1 or 2 servers up. (NA or EU only and they have to be in use !)

That would be sweet but like you said i think you'll have a hard time filling them up unless you can rally together a group of regulars to use it? Perhaps see what kind of interest you get from these boards and the community first?

Mostly because comp play is much more than just having 12 players. Your better served by playing in ENSL Gathers rather than just doing random 12 players pubs.
    edited March 2013
    Mostly because comp play is much more than just having 12 players. Your better served by playing in ENSL Gathers rather than just doing random 12 players pubs.

Very awesome thanks ScardyBob! P.S i subscribed to your channel ;)

I like the idea of this but people like me for example wouldn't even know about it unless someone told me. I think if some 12 player servers were out there with corresponding titles/descriptions, 'Comp Play Server - 12p' etc, it could help raise awareness of comp play. Needless to say i will be using this service from now on, even if i do get rolled!

I like the idea of this but people like me for example wouldn't even know about it unless someone told me. I think if some 12 player servers were out there with corresponding titles/descriptions, 'Comp Play Server - 12p' etc, it could help raise awareness of comp play. Needless to say i will be using this service from now on, even if i do get rolled!
    Yeah, most people only learn about the comp side of NS2 from stuff outside the game (e.g. websites, forums, videos, streams, etc). What NS2 could really benefit from is an in-game gather mod (similar to the ENSL version).
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members

Yeah, most people only learn about the comp side of NS2 from stuff outside the game (e.g. websites, forums, videos, streams, etc). What NS2 could really benefit from is an in-game gather mod (similar to the ENSL version).

+1
    I think that an in game gather system would be extremely beneficial to the game.

Yep it could certainly support it considering how excellent the engine is for modding.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    an in-game gather is basically what every RTS has ever had for matchmaking

NS2 is a RTS... so yeah it's a missing feature
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Can I has 6v6 matchmaking.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Locklear wrote: »

Yes please.
    edited March 2013
    joshhh wrote: »
    Locklear wrote: »

Yes please.

Oh god yes please UWE.

They already have 'quick join' so i assume the engine supports it nicely. What can we do to promote more competitive play production from UWE? I know their team is limited :(

• FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    Wouldn't you rather have useless babblers and gorge tunnels! Maybe a new exo! Something shiny and new for sure instead of better playability.