Build 241 hotfix breaks consistency checks

endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
edited March 2013 in Server Discussion
First issue: the new updates to the server files are changing files which clients are obviously not receiving via steam.

I ran an update this morning at 6:00AM, which downloaded the 241 hotfix.

This means when a server hashes the pistol.model file from the steamcmd set of files, it gets a different result to a client who hashes the pistol.model file from the steam set of files.

Would like this acknowledged, as I've had to put in a workaround to manually copy the steam(client) files over the server files after steamcmd does an update check.

fdfa3864c5232cdbdc0fdc6a95b5469e pistol.model
5b125d19a0eb7c8add262a99da5edfb8 pistol.model

Second issue: Consistency checks don't always apply.
I have 4 servers running off 1 set of files, with the same consistency checks being applied to each of them. How was anyone able to join? Some players could get in, some players were unable to get in. There is something seriously wrong with the method being used to get hashes from players. I heard one player was able to join the server, and then he decided to retry, but was unable to get in to consistency. This was about 6 hours after the update was performed, so there's no chance it was hashed against the old file. It's also possible that I've made a mistake about this, but I thought it's worth just mentioning, I plan to do some more checking.

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Confirmed.
    50/50 if people are actually able to join my consistency checked servers or are booted to main menu with corrupt files error.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    i wonder if its flagged as an 'optional' update, where maybe people that had not downloaded 241 by the time the hotfix was released would get 241 and the hotfix?
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    It's the only available update available through steamcmd, you can't choose what version to get (afaik), so you will always get the latest version available, which is the 241+hotfix. As for the clients, they will almost always get the latest, which is going to be 241, no hotfix. The hotfix was not made available on steam.

The problem is additional files were allowed through with the hotfix, that have nothing to do with web admin (pistol.model).

Second issue is people can bypass consistency by retrying multiple times.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We have the hotfix on YO and have had no such issues.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    edited March 2013
    as far as i know the problem only occurs on servers that use the ensl consistency check, because it actually checks the model files.
    Check consistency of your pistol.model file, it will break. Even look at the file size, they are different, I provided an MD5 hash in the op.

This only affects your server if you are checking consistency of files that have changed.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Gamerkatze wrote: »
    as far as i know the problem only occurs on servers that use the ensl consistency check, because it actually checks the model files.
    That plus running the client (4920) rather than server (4940) version of the game.
    I don't have a purchased account for my servers, so I'm using the server files. It is definitely a problem when you are using the server files, and use consistency checks of AT LEAST the marine pistol model.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    edited March 2013
    also the whole server file consistency is useless because you can still use cheats/texture hax. not telling how though ^^
    best solution would be to copy all client files into the server by default.
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I would rather see them include a hash file for the missing models rather than include them in the server build. There is no reason the server should have to download ~4 GB of models.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Good point, can we please get a hash index of all the client side files by default for consistency checking?
  • SidderSidder Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176034Members
    Will there be any fix to this? As the patch before it worked just all fine without any extra work

And what exactly is the fix? Uploading all models to the server? O_o
    The fix i'm using is to disable my automatic update process, and manually replace the broken files with proper ones from my desktop's steam version. I had to replace pistol model and a file for Descent.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any servers wanting to use consistency checking without replacing the actual file or having clients not being able to connect add this to your ignore list in consistencyconfig.json
    "models/marine/pistol/pistol.model"

That's a much smarter idea, how did I not do that :/