Build 241 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

124»

Comments

• GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Haven't done much troubleshooting on my end yet, but I am getting really inconsistent Pings, on a number of servers it shows me as 30-40 and then randomly during game play I get the network connection alert as my ping shoots up into the 500's. This happened across multiple servers yesterday. I will do some more troubleshooting tonight to see if it is my equipment. I was just posting to see if anyone else is having this issue.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited March 2013
    Not uncommon to see people with good connections getting 999 ping. Had it myself for 5 mins then returned to normal. It started in the last build as far as I remember.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    nsguy wrote: »
    Have you tried holding down Ctrl and clicking on an Arc to select all of them? (What you described may still be a bug though, I'll give it a try.)

That's only possible if they're close enough together to be seen at the same time and only works for units of the same type, so not really a feasible option. You can also just double-click to do this, which you probably already knew.
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    peregrinus wrote: »
    Weird bug I've had since Gorgeous. Screen image will suddenly freeze, but beneath, everything is normal I can move around and hear all the sounds. Minimizing then re opening game fixes it.

Clogs are really buggy in the new build. They are so fiddly to place, most of the time they show in red even putting one on top of another is a struggle.

I had the same problem with clogs last night on Descent while I was clogging up Hydroanalysis.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    MrChoke wrote: »
    The game is the most balanced ever at 50.7%. Ok, let's change it and make sure marines start getting owned again.

In an ideal world, a solution to get back to win probabilities of 0.5 would be to empower marines without slowing down the skulk.

This whole situation is proof of a phenomenon I have tried to explain in balance threads in the past. That is, that NS2 is a very, very complex interdependent system and the tiniest changes can swing win probabilities significantly.

When Gorgeous was released, our social media, these forums, and even our email inboxes were filled with messages saying that it was unacceptable that we had made no changes to balance. The fact was that the changes were very, very subtle - And they were compounded by a bug in Skulk movement. There weren't very visible, so the assumption was made that no changes were made.

Then, lo and behold, the game did swing to 0.5. However, the method by which it got there was unacceptable to a very vocal and passionate group of NS2 players. The competitive community, forum balance theorists, and those with a penchant for NS1 bunny hopping were utterly livid that the Skulk had been slowed further.

Patching, updating, and balancing NS2 is a process that requires sensitivity to multiple stakeholders. Severely angering a particularly vocal and passionate group, such as those above, is not a good way to maintain the game. Yes, this means your average pubber (including me!) will suffer more in the jaws of skulks, and yes this means that marines will lose a few more games. But to send that stakeholder group into a tailspin is not good for the community or long term health of the game.

The process will go on, and more iterations will be made. This isn't beta anymore, the game is more 'gameplay stable' and there is scope to keep making the itty bitty adjustments that will bring win probabilities back towards 0.5, all while keeping all stakeholders from losing their minds, proclaiming UWE hopeless and declaring NS2 dead!

Words of wisdom!
    You are an awsome dev strayan!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    Not sure if this is already reported, but i_sensitivity still isn't working in the console (since 240).

I normally switch sensitivitys depending on which side im on, 1.0 for marines or 1.25 for aliens (actually makes a big difference with my g5 mouse)
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ~setsensitivity 1.25 will work, i_sensitivity doesn't anymore for whatever reason tho.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    Ah thx, I think I might have actually been using setsensitivity before and got the two mixed up
  • weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    The game feels so good now. I just played a couple of rounds back to back, first aliens and the second as a marine. Both times I was on a good team with excellent communication. As a skulk I was chomping marines with no problem. I had a couple situations where I was fighting 2 or more marines myself and I came out victorious.

On the flip side, as a marine I could win even battles and sometimes, although not as common, battles where I was out numbered. The skulk's movement is so much more logical now, but it doesn't make them useless. A good skulk can still take out multiple marines if played correctly. I really feel the game is coming back into a solid state. Also performance may be slightly better. Either that or there were less structures in the game to bog down my cpu.

Awesome work UWE! I hope to see further performance boosts in the future.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    clog's are very buggy, very hard if not impossible to place directly ontop of each other.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hate to repeat myself, but here goes: skulks are losing momentum immediately when touching walls. This did not happen in 240 or even 239.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    nezz wrote: »
    clog's are very buggy, very hard if not impossible to place directly ontop of each other.

Yes, it seems like you can only place clogs on top of other clogs if you make them lean towards you, if you run around to the other side you can make them point that way. Something changed in the max. range at which they can be placed, maybe?
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Anyone had serious balance issues with this patch?

In my smallish community, were basically every player is involved in the vast majority of games played, we are seeing around a 90% marine win rate. This, even in games were aliens are hideously stacked. The situation was nowhere near this bad in 240, with win ratios then being much closer to 50/50. What has happened?
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    |strofix| wrote: »

In my smallish community, were basically every player is involved in the vast majority of games played, we are seeing around a 90% marine win rate. This, even in games were aliens are hideously stacked. The situation was nowhere near this bad in 240, with win ratios then being much closer to 50/50. What has happened?

Step 1.) Find someone who can play a premium level fade

Step 2.) Go quick second hive and drop a fade egg by 3:15 into the game

Step 3.) Profit.

241 is better than 240, but the best overall strategy is to do things that involve not using skulks ASAP.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members

Step 3.) Profit.

241 is better than 240, but the best overall strategy is to do things that involve not using skulks ASAP.

spend your pres... brilliant strategy advice :p

Step 3.) Profit.

This is the strategy I've tried to implement as well, but it has a problem.

Due to the complete dominance of marines in the early game, almost all the games see marines getting at least 5 extractors up in the first minute or two. In most games I have personally commaned, level 3 weapons and armour was typically up no later than around 9 minutes. Level 2 up at around 5-7. This means that any fade needs to end the game in around a minute, othewise the shotguns that come out completely overpowered him and its GG.

• nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    nezz wrote: »

Yes, it seems like you can only place clogs on top of other clogs if you make them lean towards you, if you run around to the other side you can make them point that way. Something changed in the max. range at which they can be placed, maybe?

Hey bud, if u do the usual stand ontop and jump and place ontop it works. but can't do it from anywhere else. lost a match because of this lol^_^
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Well skulk play still sux, the difference between marine accel rates and skulks is too great.

Marine can change direction and hit maximium velocity straight away, the nerfs to skulks have made it stupidly hard to bite a marine more than one time once your in range.

As a marine there is too much of a chance of winning 1v1 even once the skulks in biting range.
    Hit reg, accel changes are what killed the skulk in 240..the momentum resetting was just the icing.

There is little fun to playing skulk against a decent enemy as even if you get in range 1v1 the odds are not in your favour.

@ strofix....yes a smart/aggressive marine team can easily dominate choking an alien team if they move as a pack.
    Since the hit reg and accel changes to skulks I have seen this dominance increase, the sluggish skulks not fixed, the reason he feels sluggish is because the difference between marine and alien accel rates has increased.
    This means that if you get close to a marine you have a harder time keeping him in appropriate bite range.
    As a result of this and improved hit reg marines can easily dominate.

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited March 2013
    hakenspit wrote: »
    Well skulk play still sux, the difference between marine accel rates and skulks is too great.

Marine can change direction and hit maximium velocity straight away, the nerfs to skulks have made it stupidly hard to bite a marine more than one time once your in range.

As a marine there is too much of a chance of winning 1v1 even once the skulks in biting range.
    Hit reg, accel changes are what killed the skulk in 240..the momentum resetting was just the icing.

....yes a smart/aggressive marine team can easily dominate choking an alien team if they move as a pack.
    Since the hit reg and accel changes to skulks I have seen this dominance increase, the sluggish skulks not fixed, the reason he feels sluggish is because the difference between marine and alien accel rates has increased.
    This means that if you get close to a marine you have a harder time keeping him in appropriate bite range.

I'd just like to point out that most of the better skulks don't try to play "follow the marine", but will, a lot of the time, take 1-2 bites, then dash back up a wall/around corner, then come back around and take another 1-2 bites. They don't usually run at a marine and try to stick with him continually trying to bite. It's a lot easier to get killed that way if you do, especially if there is other marines there as well.

I'm usually at the top of kills in early game with the best k/d ratio as skulk (before fades come into play) because most everyone else does not do the above tactic.
    Res wrote: »
    but will, a lot of the time, take 1-2 bites, then float back up a wall/around corner

fixd

• HendaHenda Join Date: 2004-09-20 Member: 31818Members, Constellation
    I also have the performance problem in the last 2 builds. In every previous build my fps climbed with each update, but after gorgeous they dropped so bad that the game is unplayable for me :( i also get the freeze problems. The catalyst control center showed a GPU performance of 45%
    Deleting the cache and rebooting didn't fix it
    (win xp32, amd athlon II 3x3,31 ghz, 4 gb ram)
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Res wrote: »
    hakenspit wrote: »

....yes a smart/aggressive marine team can easily dominate choking an alien team if they move as a pack.

I'd just like to point out that most of the better skulks don't try to play "follow the marine", but will, a lot of the time, take 1-2 bites, then dash back up a wall/around corner, then come back around and take another 1-2 bites. They don't usually run at a marine and try to stick with him continually trying to bite. It's a lot easier to get killed that way if you do, especially if there is other marines there as well.

I'm usually at the top of kills in early game with the best k/d ratio as skulk (before fades come into play) because most everyone else does not do the above tactic.

I would just like to point out you still need to land those two bites and be able to move out of the area before the marine lands 10 bullets.
    With the acceleration changes this has become harder as it now takes you longer to hit top speed as you exit.
  • alienkingalienking Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148577Members
    And the game still runs like shit