Sewlek's Beta Test Mod

Comments

• briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    I know I'm repeating myself, but I don't think what this game needs is to force marines to stand around doing MORE WELDING.

As if they don't have enough busy work as it is.

• Lt. LizardLt. Lizard Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167595Members
    I think I'm in love with the whole biomass system. Especially if it allows for getting some of the alien abilities on first hive, if alien commander spends enough tres.

I am also fairly neutral about armories not healing armor. I honestly cant remember the last time half of our team DIDN'T have welders by mid-game, and I generally play on pub servers that are as far away from competitve as possible.

Also if you are looking at useless alien abilities like xeno, vortex etc... Don't forget about humble parasite.
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    Really nice work. Almost every change is for better, giving much needed depth to the game. Some things like movement code does indeed need more fine tuning but in general great work. By the way, I think the fact that forum trolls aren't whining about bunnyhop is best example that they haven't even tried the mod.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Slyfox101 wrote: »
    EDIT: If you're going to disagree with my post, at least respond and tell me why. Otherwise I will regard it as a troll.

I disagreed with your post because I don't think someone needs to respond to tell you why they disagreed with your post.
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    Very interesting... will love to see how this all plays out.
  • TailorTailor Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13927Members, Constellation
    Industry wrote: »
    I remember the beta build where armor healing was removed from armories. I still have wonderful dreams every night about it.

Here is the cold hard truth: Aliens have no damage scaling. You can either balance their damage around marines always having full armor or you can make it more interesting and balance around a variable armor level. We currently have a mix of the two. Marines with armories as they are effectively have full armor 24/7 which grows the more upgrades they have. This means the aliens have to work harder and harder as the game goes on. Now, let me state this clearly: This is not a petition for damage scaling for aliens. That's lame and unfun. The alien team should be able to wear down a position and eventually take it with enough pressure and skill. Armories as they are create turtles and stalemates.

If you want an example of just how ridiculous armory healing is take a look at the match from the NSL invitation with Nexzil v Saunamen on Tram. Garfu was humping the hell out of an armory and solo held logistics against multiple waves of skulks and a lerk. It was unreal (and great play by garfu) but really displays exactly what is wrong with armory healing. It is too much. If you want that kind of thing out of an advanced armory, hey I am cool with that, but the base 10 res armory is FAR too powerful.

Aside: Cool mod Sewlek, I am looking forward to giving it a go here in a moment.

http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/373525807 1hr 30min in if anyone is interested in seeing that.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i love you guys for taking armory healing armor out. seriously.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    Some thoughts after initial test

- Upgrade system change is a keeper, definitely do want.

- Armory change could work but it will probably need either even cheaper p.res welders or Adv armories healing armour
    (Or a new armory upgrade that allows it to heal armour)

- Not a big fan of the movement so far, but I realise it's all very experimental so I'll wait and see

- Biomass. I like the idea behind the system, but there IS a certain loss of flexibility in terms of ability timing. Sometimes you simply need that bilebomb before leap, or blink before anything else (in case you've been stuck on 1 hive for a long time and have 50 p.res) I'm not sure how that can be fixed but I can imagine it's something that will become a pain. I mean, right now instead of allowing the commander a say you pretty much have a developer predetermined 'tech path' for abilities and it means some abilities could actually be coming later than they do in the current system.

- Overall it feels like alien khammanders will be losing some choices, even if those were largely 'fake choices', i.e in most games you'd always end up with a very similar ability upgrade order anyway, but now you basically only have RTs, biomass and upgrades to build, with occasional cysts and some chambers. Not very exciting.

Looking forward to what the future brings though, I think there's definitely some great stuff in here and it's good to see the devs are not shy of contemplating big changes.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    There was also that mod where if you welded structures long enough they became electrified... lol

I wish we could still have choice of what we get with the biomass. For example you can do the following:

1 bio (always tunnels)
    2 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio)
    3 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink)
    4 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink, spors)
    5 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink, spors, xeno)
    6 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink, spors, xeno, stomp)
    7 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink, spors, xeno, vortex, stomp)
    8 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink, spors, xeno, vortex, stomp)
    9 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink, spors, xeno, vortex, stomp)

This gives a lot of options as far as what your upgrade path is and the cost structure to get there. You can then adapt what upgrades you want in what order for the situation.

Under this you could actually get 2 hive xeno but you only could have 2 other abilities with that so if you do that build you better be careful. What about a 1 hive bio gorge rush anyone? A structure like this forces the commander to make critical choices about what tech to have out early game and how hard it will be to get other tech late game. So basically it works similar to how it works in the current beta but with more variance in play options.

Basically this idea is proposing a sort of middle ground between what we have already and what the current beta is testing.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    1 bio (always tunnels)
    2 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio)
    3 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink)
    4 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink, spors)
    5 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink, spors, xeno)
    6 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink, spors, xeno, stomp)
    7 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink, spors, xeno, vortex, stomp)
    8 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink, spors, xeno, vortex, stomp)
    9 bio (select from: leap, gas, bio, blink, spors, xeno, vortex, stomp)

+1, keeps the essentials of the bio system but mixes it with commander control. I also think there should be cost scaling though, stronger upgrades should be more expensive at the earliest bios and become cheaper as biolevel increases. That way you also encourage some upgrades from not being neglected forever!

I really can't think of any better way to go about doing the bio system while still maintaining some level of commander control
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    Just have Advanced Armories repair armor. Gives them a reason to exist in bases other than the main, and lets you keep the teamwork. 30 resources for in the field repair doesn't sound too horrible.

this is an awesome idea imo.

the only iffy part about armory armor healing was the unforgiving speed to build a forward armory. the additional 90 seconds is more than enough time for aliens to assemble and respond, then no need to turn pub into a systematic welder party.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i'm looking forward to the drifter changes. As a big fan of drifter micro when comming, it always felt dumb that the only thing i could really do with drifters was either use res to make my players attack faster (which was decent) or try to confuse the marines by microing them around while skulks attacked. I'm also REALLY excited that they will no longer be auto-cloaked until shade hive. Finally, a way to utilize great APM/micro in active scouting.
    edited March 2013
    By the way there's a weird bug where t.res income seems to just freeze for a while, happened twice now already... for both sides I think?
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    dux wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    I'm curious as to what these better alternatives are? As of now in this balance mod, there is only requiring teammate to spend res and heal you or requiring comm to build a MAC station. Just like Aliens, there should be a way a Marine can self heal his armor when at a base without requiring other players to be there or forcing the comm to make sure he has macs down at all bases.

Just lowering the cost of the welder or removing any price for it at all would be sufficient. I even like the suggestion of advanced armouries providing armour regeneration. There was a decent server side mod for ns1 where if you welded someone you would get a % back in regenerating your own armour, you'd get lots of people running around welding to just repair their own armour but in doing so repaired you as well. Which is always nice.

Now this I can agree with. Thanks for considering the alternatives.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Xarius wrote: »
    By the way there's a weird bug where t.res income seems to just freeze for a while, happened twice now already... for both sides I think?

Yeah, it is being patched as we speak. Hopefully a revision soooooooon
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    [Server] Script Error #1: lua/Crag.lua:207: attempt to call method 'GetOriging' (a nil value)
        Call stack:
        #1: GetHealTargets lua/Crag.lua:207
            self = Crag-959 {alive=true, animationGraphIndex=21, armor=150.05493164063, buildFraction=1, cloakRate=0, cloakingDesired=false, collisionRep=0, constructionComplete=true, currentOrderId=-1, detected=false, dragsUmbra=false, flinchIntensity=0, fullyCloaked=false, gameEffectsFlags=64, healWaveActive=false, healingActive=false, health=450.08239746094, healthIgnored=false, hotGroupNumber=0, inCombat=false, isCatalysted=false, isMature=false, isOnFire=false, isTeleporting=false, lastTakenDamageAmount=0, lastTakenDamageOrigin=Vector {x=0, y=0, z=0 }, lastTakenDamageTime=0, lastTargetId=-1, locationId=5, maxArmor=150.05493164063, maxHealth=450.08239746094, modelIndex=33, numStacks=0, physicsGroup=3, physicsGroupFilterMask=0, physicsType=4, researchProgress=0, researchingId=1, selectionMask=0, sighted=false, syncHealth=true, teamNumber=2, techId=242, teleportDelay=0, timeLastHealed=0, umbraBulletCount=0, underConstruction=false, upgrade1=1, upgrade2=1, upgrade3=1, upgrade4=1, upgrade5=1, upgrade6=1, visibleClient=false }
            targets =  { }
        #2: PerformHealing lua/Crag.lua:231
            self = Crag-959 {alive=true, animationGraphIndex=21, armor=150.05493164063, buildFraction=1, cloakRate=0, cloakingDesired=false, collisionRep=0, constructionComplete=true, currentOrderId=-1, detected=false, dragsUmbra=false, flinchIntensity=0, fullyCloaked=false, gameEffectsFlags=64, healWaveActive=false, healingActive=false, health=450.08239746094, healthIgnored=false, hotGroupNumber=0, inCombat=false, isCatalysted=false, isMature=false, isOnFire=false, isTeleporting=false, lastTakenDamageAmount=0, lastTakenDamageOrigin=Vector {x=0, y=0, z=0 }, lastTakenDamageTime=0, lastTargetId=-1, locationId=5, maxArmor=150.05493164063, maxHealth=450.08239746094, modelIndex=33, numStacks=0, physicsGroup=3, physicsGroupFilterMask=0, physicsType=4, researchProgress=0, researchingId=1, selectionMask=0, sighted=false, syncHealth=true, teamNumber=2, techId=242, teleportDelay=0, timeLastHealed=0, umbraBulletCount=0, underConstruction=false, upgrade1=1, upgrade2=1, upgrade3=1, upgrade4=1, upgrade5=1, upgrade6=1, visibleClient=false }
        #3: UpdateHealing lua/Crag.lua:277
            time = 1871.9488525391
        #4: lua/Crag.lua:299
            deltaTime = 0.06591796875
        #5: OnUpdate [C]:-1
        #6: lua/SleeperMixin.lua:139
            deltaTime = 0.033100049942732
            numMaxUpdates = 30
            numSleepers = 55
            lastIndex = 55
            (for index) = 50
            (for limit) = 55
            (for step) = 1
            index = 50
            entityId = 959
            entity = Crag-959 {alive=true, animationGraphIndex=21, armor=150.05493164063, buildFraction=1, cloakRate=0, cloakingDesired=false, collisionRep=0, constructionComplete=true, currentOrderId=-1, detected=false, dragsUmbra=false, flinchIntensity=0, fullyCloaked=false, gameEffectsFlags=64, healWaveActive=false, healingActive=false, health=450.08239746094, healthIgnored=false, hotGroupNumber=0, inCombat=false, isCatalysted=false, isMature=false, isOnFire=false, isTeleporting=false, lastTakenDamageAmount=0, lastTakenDamageOrigin=Vector {x=0, y=0, z=0 }, lastTakenDamageTime=0, lastTargetId=-1, locationId=5, maxArmor=150.05493164063, maxHealth=450.08239746094, modelIndex=33, numStacks=0, physicsGroup=3, physicsGroupFilterMask=0, physicsType=4, researchProgress=0, researchingId=1, selectionMask=0, sighted=false, syncHealth=true, teamNumber=2, techId=242, teleportDelay=0, timeLastHealed=0, umbraBulletCount=0, underConstruction=false, upgrade1=1, upgrade2=1, upgrade3=1, upgrade4=1, upgrade5=1, upgrade6=1, visibleClient=false }

• TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Ooooh! Sewlek's got game, yo.
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    Shut up and take my money!

Welders could be 1-2 res at a Regular Armory,
    free at an Advanced Armory as incentivization.
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Loving the mod so far.

I rather like the idea of advanced armories healing armor or cheap welders. If welders are cheap, the heal rate probably needs to be decreased.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    Just have Advanced Armories repair armor. Gives them a reason to exist in bases other than the main, and lets you keep the teamwork. 30 resources for in the field repair doesn't sound too horrible.
    This would prevent one of it's supposed benefits, alleviating turtling*, from occurring.
    You typically don't care about smart economical decisions anymore when you know you are turtling, and recycling one or two structures would be worth the armory humping benefits in that scenario.

While i like the encouragement of teamwork, I disliked the implementation that was previously done in the beta.
    You could not call out for a welder, you did not know if any other player had a welder, and the general visual and audio feedback needed a lot of work. Dying while chasing a teammate down a hallway who didn't know to pause for a weld, easily discouraged many frustrated players.
    The implementation needs to be smooth, intuitive and crystal clear enough for all parties, in order for this to work properly.

Would need to lower the price of welders, i think.

Hives having hatch ability and scale-able upgrades! \o/

(*I never noticed any notable decrease in the amount of turtling when this was attempted in the beta, turtles happened regularly still)
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Welders only worked in NS1 because you could self weld, you're fucking kidding yourself if you thought people bought welders and welded other people half the time it was out, it was people staring at the ground welding them self after every engage. Would still be interesting I guess.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    This would prevent one of it's supposed benefits, alleviating turtling*, from occurring.
    You typically don't care about smart economical decisions anymore when you know you are turtling, and recycling one or two structures would be worth the armory humping benefits in that scenario.

While i like the encouragement of teamwork, I disliked the implementation that was previously done in the beta.
    You could not call out for a welder, you did not know if any other player had a welder, and the general visual and audio feedback needed a lot of work. Dying while chasing a teammate down a hallway who didn't know to pause for a weld, easily discouraged many frustrated players.
    The implementation needs to be smooth, intuitive and crystal clear enough for all parties, in order for this to work properly.

(*I never noticed any notable decrease in the amount of turtling when this was attempted in the beta, turtles happened regularly still)

The thing is, if you were to put it on the Adv Armory, then that is one EXPENSIVE structure the aliens can focus down to break the turtle that has a heck of a long research time. With it just being on normal armories they can instantly replace the downed structure and go right back to turtling for a mere 10 res and a few seconds of building. This isn't the end all panacea for turtling but it would help that front. I am more concerned about aliens being able to break forward fortified positions and that is why I like this change personally.

The weld notifications have also come a long way since beta. All that really needs to be added at this point is a voice command for a weld as we already have visual icons for the person with a welder of who needs it. (the golden wrench of the gods)
    dux wrote: »
    There was a decent server side mod for ns1 where if you welded someone you would get a % back in regenerating your own armour.

This. Then you get a system going of approximately 1 welder per X people, with

self_weld = 1/(X-1) * weld_amount

The only issue I could foresee with this is welder + exo + medspam = death. I mean, of course you could disable it for exos, but that just seems inelegant and unintuitive. I dunno, I think it's worth a try.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yes but still need to visually display who has it, so the micless don't have to beg in text.
    Also some sort of particle effect or communication of range would be nice, ala medic's heal beam in tf2.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I wouldn't mind upgraded armouries healing armour if they were only cost-effective when attached to the benefit of the added upgrades it brings with it. A balanced game with proper resource management shouldn't see every base upgrading the armoury for the armour-regen, but having your home-base as a place where this is possible (and moderate - welders should be better) doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.

Failing that though, I agree with just getting rid of armour-regen completely.
    Yes but still need to visually display who has it, so the micless don't have to beg in text.
    Also some sort of particle effect or communication of range would be nice, ala medic's heal beam in tf2.

As long as the particle effect isn't over the top, yeah I could get behind that.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester

You could still reduce the armor repair rate of Advanced Armories to such a low amount that it's generally discouraged to go to them during a fight because everything will out-DPS the repair rate by far. I am really just looking for an option to get healed up to full before entering the next combat situation if there is no team mate anywhere nearby.
    CrushaK wrote: »
    You could still reduce the armor repair rate of Advanced Armories to such a low amount that it's generally discouraged to go to them during a fight because everything will out-DPS the repair rate by far. I am really just looking for an option to get healed up to full before entering the next combat situation if there is no team mate anywhere nearby.

That's problematic in that it encourages minute long armory humps, and TBH, I would guess most pub players would just go ahead and hump the thing regardless of rate.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thoughts:

- Love the removal of armory armor healing. All it ever did was encourage cowardly "my armor is dented, better run back!" play. However I'm concerned about the pub accessibility of the game when players are expected to spend their own money on welders that only help others. I know I get annoyed about buying welders when my own armor goes perpetually unrepaired. It doesn't help that welders are weak against structures either. I think it would work better if welders were free to all marines once researched.

- Don't like the maximum target count for Crags. It's too unintuitive and makes it feel broken when the crag doesn't heal you within its radius. Better to reduce the radius if they need a nerf.

- Skeptical about all the drifter micro, those things are a pain in the butt to control. That's why structure building was removed from them. I would really prefer if we found a good way to trigger them with global hotkeys.

Otherwise looks good, hoping to see most of this make it in!