babblers stick to marines

tarquinbbtarquinbb Members Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Posts: 1,123
edited March 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
most people seem to agree that babbler is an ingenious idea, but the execution has left a lot of people wanting...

understandably there's a plethora of ideas to make the babbler more useful - but i'm yet to see one as awesome as having babblers sticking to marines.

imagine the babbler attack dealt 10 damage, then clings onto the marine dealing an additional set damage over time before dropping off. the additional damage would obviously be circumstance to balance.

- makes babblers more dangerous without having to worry so much about exploitable AI.
- other marines can shoot the babbler(s) off their buddy; evoking teamplay.
- it would look awesome; especially with multiple babblers clinging on :P
CalegoSquishpokePOOPFACEMadd0gEmooAurOn2dragonmithRacer1peregrinusWhiteWeaselXariusCrazyEddieMrLee

Comments

• SeeVeeSeeVee Members Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Posts: 425 Advanced user
    I like this idea, if a marine is struck with a babbler ball do the babblers not attack that marine?
  • CalegoCalego Members, NS2 Map Tester Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Posts: 763 Advanced user
    I like it too. Wouldn't change too much as far as balance goes but would make babblers even more cool.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Members Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Posts: 423
    Could be good

The code is already there for them to stick on players.

Something like if a babbler bites a marine they do 10 initial damage, then attach to the marine and do 10 additional damage more over 5 secs. Maybe with increasing babblers attached to the marine, the higher the DoT each babbler applies.
    ...down by the river.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below)Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Posts: 1,669 Advanced user
    edited March 2013
    This is a nice fix, you don't even have to work on improving Babbler AI that much. I love the idea of being able to shoot them off your friends. Firstly, it makes sure that Babblers won't be overpowered, and secondly it encourages teamwork.

I can already imagine a guy running back from the front lines screaming SHOOT IT OFF SHOOT IT OFF HELP!
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
    dragonmith
  • Flash8798Flash8798 Members Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182814Posts: 17
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I can already imagine a guy running back from the front lines screaming SHOOT IT OFF SHOOT IT OFF HELP!

"Dear God get this thing off my neck it really hurts! I can feel it burrowing it's oh GOD GET IT AWAY FROM ME CUT IT OFF!!! CUT!!! IT!!! OFFFFF!!! OF MEEEEE!!!!!!!"
    *Friends successfully remove babbler from Marine's neck.*

"I can feel it....I can still feel it under my skin..." *Goes to cry in a corner from the horrific psychological trauma he has received.*

• KuikiKuiki Members Join Date: 2012-02-03 Member: 143467Posts: 43
  • Madd0gMadd0g Members Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Posts: 91 Fully active user
    I like the idea.
    Awsome video btw :D
    Ingame nickname:Delta34
  • dragonmithdragonmith Members, Reinforced - Diamond Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Posts: 429 Fully active user
    It's like a buffed paracite...

How would getting in exo/com station work however?
    Howser is da BEST!
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Members Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Posts: 848
    dragonmith wrote: »

The com station kills anything other than the person who activates it when it closes, I'm assuming the same could be applied to entering an exo/com station with babblers on you.

• tarquinbbtarquinbb Members Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Posts: 1,123
    dragonmith wrote: »

i guess the same as if the alien with babblers gets into a hive...
  • VenatosVenatos Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Posts: 217 Fully active user
    thats a pretty sweet idea. that keeps the babbler AI low, makes them more usefull, adds atmosphere, promotes teamwork and im sure it does some other things to.
    im all for it. ;)
  • BensonBenson Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Posts: 1,296 Advanced user
    10 initial damage, 5 damage over 5 seconds for each babble attached!
    If we are to be damned, let us be damned for what we really are. - Capt. Jean Luc Picard
    edited March 2013
    Benson wrote: »
    10 initial damage, 5 damage over 5 seconds for each babble attached!

i want to refrain from talking exact numbers, because it would need testing etc and would need to change depending on any tweaking to babbler mechanics.

how often do babblers manage to attack a marine? i've probably killed 50 babblers since the update and been bitten twice because i wasn't even bothering to avoid them. ergo i expect the damage could safely go quite a bit higher with current AI.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributorMembers, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Posts: 8,193 admin
    They'd have to be fast enough to catch/jump onto a marine first, which is the major source for their inefficiency currently imo.
    QUOTE (Techercizer @ Feb 3 2012, 10:47 AM) »
    Every time you ask for troubleshooting without providing system info, ATI adds a rendering bug for an upcoming game.

When you feel you need to be rude or angry about a game, just read these links and remember what role you are playing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_disinhibition_effect
    http://www.eldergame.com/2008/06/taming-the-forum-tiger/
  • KindreadKindread Members Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183744Posts: 2
    I'd like babbler eggs to work like landmines and then temporarily attach to any marines nearby when they hatch. Would also be good if you could hatch them yourself instantly with 'use' ( E by default ) and get the same functionality as before in addition to the landmine effects.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below)Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Posts: 1,669 Advanced user
    IronHorse wrote: »
    They'd have to be fast enough to catch/jump onto a marine first, which is the major source for their inefficiency currently imo.

Agreed. A slight buff to speed would be great, but of course not at the level of the HL1 goon things. The "stick to marine" will help the instances of babblers actually doing a fair amount of damage once they manage to hit. If babblers become too formidable for their cost, the cost can be adjusted along with inclusion on the alien tech tree.
    Kindread wrote: »
    I'd like babbler eggs to work like landmines and then temporarily attach to any marines nearby when they hatch. Would also be good if you could hatch them yourself instantly with 'use' ( E by default ) and get the same functionality as before in addition to the landmine effects.

I love this idea, too. Imagine a shade covering 3 gorge's worth of babbler eggs. :D

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
  • SopsSops Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Posts: 1,490 Advanced user
    I think the timer needs to go away, just have babblers de-spawn when a gorge goes over their allotment.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Posts: 2,601 mod
    Well, it could work. But then I would recommend adding being able to throw them off one by one with rifle butt/jumping. It would be bad if you get caught by a few and have no way to save yourself solo. That would make fighting gorges very tedious.
    Angelusz wrote: »
    Well, it could work. But then I would recommend adding being able to throw them off one by one with rifle butt/jumping. It would be bad if you get caught by a few and have no way to save yourself solo. That would make fighting gorges very tedious.

true, but wtf are babblers for in the first place if not to make fighting gorges very tedious? :P
  • SammeySammey Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Posts: 161 Fully active user
    Sammey wrote: »

maybe if the marine dies while being subject to babbler gyration...

otherwise i hate that left4dead feeling. it feels like no matter how skilled, you still get helplessly anesthetized by another player 'clicking' in your general direction.
  • overduboverdub Members Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183800Posts: 14
    What about making them exploded? After say 5 - 10 seconds they deal an additional 10 damage in a short radius, unless you shoot them first.

And visually you can have them get bigger and bigger like a tick.

This allows players to help each other and improve the quality of the babbler, it creates more tactics and could be very fun to watch.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., CanadaMembers Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Posts: 1,567 Advanced user
    I'd like to try this. I can already foresee a "Babblers on Marine block alien attacks" bug waiting to be squashed :))

Also agreed with Angelusz about knocking them off of yourself.
    Natural Selection 2 Quick Tabs

Official Site | NS2HD Blog | Community Hub | NS2 Wiki

"Comatose on the floor in the office giggling uncontrollably with the most immeasurable happiness" - Strayan, Halloween 2012
    overdub
    what about have them, block vision?
    edited March 2013
    knocking them off yourself i feel would only be necessary if a specific damage threshold was reached. a threshold so high that it would become 'critical' to remove the babbler, and i don't like that idea so much.

for me the basis for the whole idea was to make babbler's potentially deal more damage, so marines can't carelessly wade through treating them like babbler plushies. being able to knock them off yourself isn't really changing anything.

i don't like the idea of blocking vision either - it's just an annoying handicap :P
    ahah fair enough, i still like the idea of making them exploded. Then marines have to be careful how close they get to each other when traveling in groups
    Bump