Gorge tunnels off infestation?

thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
So apparently gorge tunnels do not need to be built on infestation.

I hope your minds have recovered by now. I have no idea how they connect either. Whatever, nanites....err... Bacteria!

It's way to early to say much about this but I'd like to throw up an example. in depatures with the marines holding locker, cafe, and terminal. We had gen and departures Basically we were losing slowly, marines were hitting gen hard. Suddenly a gorge says that there is a gorge tunnel to landing pad. As soon as I recover from this mind blowing revalation about gorge tunnels I evolve an onos and go to landing pad. We base rape terminal from out of nowhere and kill cafe too. Lose gen but get a hive in terminal and then cafe a minute later. Rush locker down. Kill the cc and commander before he can drop IPs in gen.

So on one hand I fear ninja gorge tunnels as much as ninja PGs. But with no infestation OR power requirement. On the other hand, this definitely means even one (or nearly one in my example) give aliens can stage a big come back.

The jury it still out imo, but I'm sure everyone here.has an opinion that they want to share in a 'calm and polite' manner. :)

Comments

• RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    I was waiting for the ninja landing pad Anus portal of doom. It was only a matter of time given how little foot traffic that part of the map receives and how easy it is to get too for Aliens through the vents!

Good show to that player tbh :)
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Rippsy wrote: »
    I was waiting for the ninja landing pad Anus portal of doom. It was only a matter of time given how little foot traffic that part of the map receives and how easy it is to get too for Aliens through the vents!

Good show to that player tbh :)

It was hidden behind the boxes in the lower left. The marines pushed us out of terminal once.or twice, but never saw the tunnel. I used it to heal uber fast at the hive a few times.

Mods, my brain did not connect the 'GT begins!' Thread with Gorge Tunnels for..... Reasons. Coffee related reasons. If you feel this is redundant, lock her and I'll copy paste over to that thread later today.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Gorge tunnels not needing infestation is ok. Gorge tunnels being placed in areas not accessible to marines (till they get jetpacks) is not.
  • BigTracerBigTracer Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174169Members
    When pubs get to use tunnels early, #### will get real.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Gorge tunnels not needing infestation is ok. Gorge tunnels being placed in areas not accessible to marines (till they get jetpacks) is not.
    I wonder what's easier... Remapping every single map in a fundamental way, or making Infestation a requirement (which in turn makes Infestation more important).
    I was expecting GTs to be powerful in combination with forward cysts and shades.
  • Snypr18Snypr18 Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168566Members
    When I found this out, I about had an aneurism. Tunnels were already a huge game changer, but being able to put them anywhere regardless of infestation is above and beyond.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Uhh, I always took it for granted. An infestation-only-tunnel would basically be a Shift. Sure it's useful, but mostly defensively. Being able to place 'em anywhere is where the fun is at. Time will tell if it's OP.
    Time will tell if it's OP.

My thoughts as well.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Namm wrote: »
    I wonder what's easier... Remapping every single map in a fundamental way, or making Infestation a requirement (which in turn makes Infestation more important).
    As far as I can tell, there are only a few seriously problematic spots that should be easily fixable with some map tweaking. Also, having gorge tunnels work off infestation makes them much more useful and is consistent with the other gorge structures.
    As far as I can tell, there are only a few seriously problematic spots that should be easily fixable with some map tweaking. Also, having gorge tunnels work off infestation makes them much more useful and is consistent with the other gorge structures.

Its still gonna blow my mind..... Wait, perhaps it is similar to blink? Must... Rationalize...

• BigTracerBigTracer Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174169Members

Second. It's a single parametr change. In datatech.lua, as much as I remeber.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is there a way for aliens (player or the khamm) to destroy a GT entrance? If not, there should be to help stop the exo train marching into your base via your tunnel. I'd say that the player who placed the tunnel and the khamm should be able to destroy the entrances. It also provides a bit more of a risk/reward situation than the current "hindrance" the marines suffer in GTs.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i haven't seen any good use of tunnel yet.

aliens need to learn to coordinate for once instead of "herpderp mareenz goggogggo!11"
    Is there a way for aliens (player or the khamm) to destroy a GT entrance? If not, there should be to help stop the exo train marching into your base via your tunnel. I'd say that the player who placed the tunnel and the khamm should be able to destroy the entrances. It also provides a bit more of a risk/reward situation than the current "hindrance" the marines suffer in GTs.

You can walk up to it and hold E, like with clogs etc.

• gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I dont mind that they can be off creep.
    maybe make it a requirement that ONE end is on creep to make it fit the lore^^
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    I think we're all missing the truly important use of Gorge Tunnels.

Trolling.

Building Gorge tunnels in places that anything without wings, wall walking, or dimension phasing will fall off and die (the windows in Gap over Operations).

Or right inside the marine base to funnel them into your hive!

The possibilities....

Not that I would do any of this. I had it happen to me last night.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts

not even needed, just make them place-able only in commander allowed areas that are already predefined on every map. Its only in places where marines can go already.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

not even needed, just make them place-able only in commander allowed areas that are already predefined on every map. Its only in places where marines can go already.
    I think that might be needed. I saw one in the Bar/Central/Locker vent last night. I don't know how the game would handle an Onos or Exo trying to go through that. Maybe that's already handled and it doesn't let them exit when there's no room?
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members

I think at least one end of the tunnel should be on infestation.

IronHorse wrote: »
    Or that :)
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Oh well, if there's already a system in place for it.

For me it feels very inconsistent to have an entrance for a tunnel that consists of Infestation on any surface. Regardless of the precedent set by Clogs and Hydras. As for the effects on gameplay, I'm not sure yet.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I wonder what's easier... Remapping every single map in a fundamental way...

Well, there are still a few exploit locations such as dropping upgrades, shades, cysts and even robotic factories on ledges and other protrusions. Those would be nice fixed :)