So. . . 2nd hive or Gorge Tunnles first?

MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
Now that we know how they work. . .
Looks like they are a Tier 1 upgrade, but are expensive like getting phase tech

Also Speed Clogging Nerf ;/
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvuzd6_5-gorge-tricks_videogames#.US_uw8U2uM8

Comments

• PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members

Also Speed Clogging Nerf ;/

* Changed behavior of Gorge build menu: You no longer need to re-select things to build more of them ....so maybe it's not as bad as you think.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    well... no cooldown on clog is a bit silly.

insta-lego.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    yea without a cooldown you could permanently block any doorway faster than marines could kill them.. especially with a nearby shift
    But i love not having to re select things finally!
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Tunnels definitely seem to add some of that old 'gorge' goodness that NS 1 had, it's so sweet that I can now actually have a more of a direct influence on my team's strategic course. I'm a little confused in regards to babblers, I can't really tell if they do or block any damage really.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    It's looking like it would be a bit silly to rush the tech as your team won't even have enough pres to to place both sides for a few minutes into the game

You'd probably also would want to place your 3 hydras right away so this will most likely be around mid game when you have 40-50 res built up

Even without hydras some of the nicer spots I found to place the tunnels will require you to turn back into a skulk and re-evolve gorge for a 2nd time
  • LunosLunos Join Date: 2009-08-18 Member: 68518Members
    Well I can see tunnels giving starts like carapace a boost since instead of locking down a second hive location with a shift + eggs, you can get tunnel instead and just directly link it to your main hive for instant reinforcements. Definitely want to give this a try.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would not research tunnels till i had excess res and was done with bile, blink, leap, cara, celerity, and had drifters placed. Then I might think about getting res on gorge tunnels. They're a complete luxury, and there's no real reason to get them.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Haven't played a game yet, but fast Gorge Tunnels (e.g. RIGHT FROM THE START!) could be a potentially great map control strategy.
  • BigTracerBigTracer Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174169Members
    edited March 2013
    They don't require infestation at the moment, so it's just wrong. You can place them in unreachable place and have the whole train pop out of nowhere.

On the other side, it costs pretty much and delays gorge turning into an onos. Babblers don't seem to be a threat.

What I liked is increased claw damage and range. Now Claw exo is worth 50 res and can stay confidently against skulk.

Spawn system seems untouched. UWE has actually listened.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I like the fact you can go 2nd hive, or gorge tunnels. Opens up many more tactics and ideas for the alien commander and the team.
  • justbob333justbob333 Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183502Members
    honestly, gorge tunnels or second hive? is that even a logical question?
    30 team res 3/4 hive
    30 pres from one player to set up

delaying hive is delaying all alien tech delaying second hives eggs that can spawn there to protect hive.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    justbob333 wrote: »
    honestly, gorge tunnels or second hive? is that even a logical question?
    30 team res 3/4 hive
    30 pres from one player to set up

delaying hive is delaying all alien tech delaying second hives eggs that can spawn there to protect hive.

Actually, it is a question worth asking. First off, its 20 (not 30) pres from one player to set up and 30TRes to research. You shouldn't include the 10pres gorge because you should probably have one on the field anyway especially if you WERE going to drop a second hive.

Going tunnels first offers a risk reward. The risk being less tech in the immediate future and the reward being additional map control. The map control translates into additional harvesters. The result is slightly delayed tech that eventually explodes. As long as you do not have an incompetent alien team that rushes to their deaths and egg locks themselves, this is definitely a strategy that shouldn't be so easily dismissed.

• justbob333justbob333 Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183502Members
    Well that one player that went gorge has to spend his 30 res to do this, has to maintain it, if a couple marines kill it he has to build it again, possibly going gorge again.
    also if gorge gets intercepted going to place the exit yeah very risky, plus if gorgre wants to build a bunker with hydras well its that much longer for him to get the res to do all this.

The tunnels are very noticeable on mini maps, and you will have marines going to it to kill it, jump in it head back to the entrance, or try and kill the things inside the tunnel by collapsing it for the lawls. saw 2 marines and 1 alien get the skull and crossbones from a collapsed tunnel so far.

for comp play i can see it as all or nothing strat. For pugs requires amazing co-ordination to pull of.