Losing to winning in 8 seconds.

12346»

Comments

• SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    dragonmith wrote: »
    Oh ye of little faith, marines get railguns too.
    Ahh, but I already know how ineffective railguns will be. The data is already in the LUA.

A single railgun will do 50 damage per shot. If you hold down the fire key and charge for 2 seconds you get double, 100 damage. Railgun is a 'puncture' damage type, doing 125% damage to players, so these numbers become 62.5 for uncharged and 125 for charged. It also means that each point of player armor will absorb 2 points of railgun damage. The damage is basically the same for charged and uncharged shots, the difference is that with uncharged shots you need to fire (and connect) with twice as many shots. Time wise is the same too. A charged shot & reload is 3 seconds, uncharged & reload 1.5 seconds. So how does this play out? (all numbers include carapace)

Skulk - 130 effective health - 2 charged shots or 1 charged shot and 1 uncharged or 3 uncharged
    Lerk - 275 effective health - 3 charged shots or 2 charged shot and 1 uncharged or 5 uncharged
    Gorge - 290 effective health - 3 charged shots or 2 charged shot and 1 uncharged or 5 uncharged
    Fade - 350 effective health - 3 charged shots or 6 uncharged shots
    Onos - 3100 effective health - 13 charged shots or 26 uncharged shots!

Dual railgun EXO time to kill Onos = 13 x 3 = ~39 seconds (2 seconds for a full charge plus a second to fire and start charging again.)
    Onos time to kill any EXO = a bit over 6 seconds.

By comparison, a STOCK MARINE can kill faster than a railgun EXO. Since we're talking bile bomb, let's crunch the numbers for a gorge. (Assuming weapons 3 and carapace)

Gorge effective health versus LMG is 290. The LMG will do 13 damage per bullet, and shoot 10 bullets per second. A marine with perfect aim will have the gorge dead in 3 seconds. The railgun EXO would need ~4 seconds to kill that same gorge. (3 seconds for the charged shots, and then 1 second to fire the last uncharged shot.) Given how deadly bile is to an EXO, I'd rather be a marine against a gorge than railgun any day.

It should be noted that you can't walk around with charged shots ready either. A shot charges in 2 seconds and you have ONE SECOND to fire before it autofires.

Yeah, not really too excited about the railgun EXO. (I bet dollars to doughnuts that it was more deadly in beta and was nerfed)
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    @Savant, could it become the very quick hive killer? I'm not doubting your numbers but it does make something seem off about the railgun...

Anyway, trailer was released! Yay!
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    dragonmith wrote: »
    @Savant, could it become the very quick hive killer? I'm not doubting your numbers but it does make something seem off about the railgun...

Anyway, trailer was released! Yay!

going by Savant's numbers (assuming UWE didn't change them), it would seem like the railgun is more of a lifeform killer than the exo. Burst DPS that is lower overall from the Dual but good at killing aliens.

Ironically, if Savant is right... the Dual Rail will actually be WORSE at killing Onos than gatling guns.
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    Nothing says that current rail variables will stay the same... and actually quite a lot points to them being different.

Wait and see is the correct approach... high hopes.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    Vigilantia wrote: »
    the Dual Rail will actually be WORSE at killing Onos than gatling guns.

If UWE doesn't change Dual Exo damage, yes. Even with W3 it would take 10 charged shots to drop an Onos. With W3, it would be good for gibbing Gorges, Lerks, Skulks (single gun skulks), and Fades who have been hit by a few pellets or slugs.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Ciro wrote: »
    Vigilantia wrote: »
    the Dual Rail will actually be WORSE at killing Onos than gatling guns.
    If UWE doesn't change Dual Exo damage, yes. Even with W3 it would take 10 charged shots to drop an Onos. With W3, it would be good for gibbing Gorges, Lerks, Skulks (single gun skulks), and Fades who have been hit by a few pellets or slugs.
    Ummm, weapons upgrades don't effect the minigun EXO, I would think that would be the same for the railgun EXO. I haven't seen anything in the LUA that suggests otherwise.

• AmbiguousMonkAmbiguousMonk Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179197Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Savant This is very true. I hadn't thought of that. Bile Bomb is a bit ridiculous, especially for such a low-cost lifeform. I imagine that there will be balance changes for that, since adjusting it doesn't seem like a very difficult task (adjusting it constructively might be).

I am glad to hear that Marines can use gorge tunnels, so unless they are monitored properly, they can be a strategic liability when used offensively (however rare that situation may end being). I do feel like Aliens once again get a lot more from the update than the marines do.

Unless the railgun is absolutely INSANELY effective. I am still really looking forward to watching aliens explode.