Why do 'pro' players play in rookie servers?

Comments

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited February 2013
    Here is how I find most of my servers, as I'm sure many players do.
    1. Login to NS2.
    2. Open Server Browser , All other 2. notes,
    3. Sort by Player count tab
    4. find server with enough open slots to not be kicked by unmarked reserved slot, but full enough to not be a dead server.
    5. Join
    Note: All other aspects are the server are irrelevant: name, map, rookie or not...

You miss out on a lot of fun by joining random servers.

If you stick to 1 server that has a good regular player base that also only plays on that server, you get a great server community that is not only fun to play on, but is a joy to play on with great games. Far more enjoyment than joining random servers.
    The average player regardless of server is always at a terrible and low level of skill. It's like that on any NS2 server that's currently up.

I would beg to differ. Some servers do indeed have a higher level of skill than other servers, especially those ones where better players frequent or have a regular consistent playerbase.

People that quit NS2 because they aren't good and die over and over again are people that would have quit regardless. Those gamers are the lowest common denominator of gamers and don't want to learn how to game. They want to know how to play by the game either having the same mechanics as other games they have played or just making the game incredibly simple. Unfortunately, in this day and age where devs continually nurture the lowest common denominator has made those type of gamers explode.
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Rookie Friendly simply means that the players are willing to play with rookies without giving them crap for being new. It doesn't mean that players who are too good shouldn't be allowed in.
    matchmaking is terrible, unless you are playing console FPS games.

Not to mention that you need a much larger playerbase for matchmaking to truly work.

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    FrankerZ wrote: »
    MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING MATCHMAKING
    PLAYER BASE PLAYER BASE PLAYER BASE
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Waiting an hour for matchmaking, what a terrific idea.
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Community is still relatively small, not all servers have available spots or decent ping. Its just another server at the end of the day.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Zek wrote: »
    Rookie Friendly simply means that the players are willing to play with rookies without giving them crap for being new. It doesn't mean that players who are too good shouldn't be allowed in.

I understand and even agree with that in theory. The problem is that players who are too good compared to the rest of the server ruin the game in small numbers for everyone, themselves included. Unbalanced teams kill the fun. Of course if you manage to have some really good players on both teams it might make for a salvageable game, so there's that at least.
  • Slyfox101Slyfox101 Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169370Members
    edited February 2013
    Interesting responses so far, keep them coming. It seems like a lot of people don't actually understand the problem I am trying to address, so maybe you should read the whole thread before responding if you don't get it. No one is suggesting that rookie friendly servers should be rookie only.

Also, the reason I care about this is because I have had multiple friends quit the game due to the lack of an environment they are comfortable learning in, at their own pace, not at the pace of others.

If you believe that new players should be 'thrown to the wolves', I hope you are never responsible for the creation or partial creation of a game. If you are, you will need to look past this in order to actually attract and retain new players.

For those of you who think this game doesn't need hand-holding for new players, I urge you to look at DotA 2. If not for matchmaking (mainly), and other hand-holding mechanics that allow new players to play in a comfortable environment, most new players would quit almost immediately. If you don't understand this issue, or are unwilling to, I recommend moving on and not responding at all.
    Savant wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but if one player was owning all the rookies, I wouldn't call that very "friendly" to me. Yeah people learn when they are challenged, but you don't learn squat sitting in the spawn queue.

A guy who plays in a pick-up basketball game a couple times a week won't learn anything if he plays with a bunch of NBA players. There is a point when player skill differential is so great that nothing can be gained from it.

This should give some insight to those who are confused.

Specifically, @JAMESEARLJONOS: You are highlighting the issue all too well. Rookie servers/tags don't mean anything to a lot of people. This feature was not implemented into the game to be ignored, it was intended to serve a purpose that people like you are refusing to accept. Please read the whole thread before responding.

It has also been addressed that this issue goes both ways, when an abundance of rookies join a non-rookie-friendly server. It renders the 'rookie' mechanic to be nearly useless.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Slyfox101 wrote: »
    Interesting responses so far, keep them coming. It seems like a lot of people don't actually understand the problem I am trying to address, so maybe you should read the whole thread before responding if you don't get it. No one is suggesting that rookie friendly servers should be rookie only.

Most of us get it, we just don't care or accept it as a (sort of) necessary evil.
    edited February 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Most of us get it, we just don't care or accept it as a (sort of) necessary evil.

I'm not sure where necessary evil came into the discussion. This is simply an issue that a few friends of mine have had, and I'm curious what the community thinks/knows about the subject. If we didn't care, why would we respond at all?
    I didn't say I didn't care, just that some people don't.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I didn't say I didn't care, just that some people don't.

Oh, my apologies. I didn't mean to word that in a way that was directed towards you, just people in general. :D
    Honestly slyfox, it sounds like your friends are apart of the 'lowest common denominator" that I was talking about.......

It saddening that devs have to find ways to cater to them these days to keep players. Rather than having the players learn to play to better themselves.

I've played many games where I would just take a beating. I would keep at it and learn and better myself. This is how most gamers used to be..... not anymore..... the ADHD generation......
    edited February 2013
    Res wrote: »
    Honestly slyfox, it sounds like your friends are apart of the 'lowest common denominator" that I was talking about.......

It saddening that devs have to find ways to cater to them these days to keep players. Rather than having the players learn to play to better themselves.

I've played many games where I would just take a beating. I would keep at it and learn and better myself. This is how most gamers used to be..... not anymore..... the ADHD generation......

I'd rather not respond to this, but I would like to point out that you are saying 3-4 people are part of the 'minority', while trying to claim that you (1 person) are part of the majority. I think you are speaking from a perspective that is undeserved.
    Scatter wrote: »
    stuff

I disagree with everything in this post, it's just biased information, spoken from a very limited perspective.

Objective information is preferred.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    It's funny to me how the OP seems to think as if there are dedicated high skill pub servers.
    There is one :P
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128322/veteran-server-up-and-running
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    LOL.. nice post Scatter! hahahah
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    This is Natural Selection.

Evolve, or die.
    I'd rather not respond to this, but I would like to point out that you are saying 3-4 people are part of the 'minority', while trying to claim that you (1 person) are part of the majority. I think you are speaking from a perspective that is undeserved.

Actually, I never made a reference to minority or majority. The type of gamer I'm talking about is very much in the majority in this day and age of gaming... the type of gamer that used to be, like me, is a dying breed..... which is just saddening to me.

• FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Scatter wrote: »
    Here's how this works:

1) Low skilled casual players complain about high skill players pub stomping and want them to play on servers with high skilled players.

2) High skilled player numbers are limited due to poor optimisation, bad mechanics and excessive immersion. The latter two also directly contributing to the first (cysts, dynamic lights, etc)

3) Low skilled casual players love immersion and bad mechanics and regularly argue with high skilled players why we need to more of it.

4) ??????

5) High skilled players are at fault and should be put on Ma$$a$$ter's ban list for being too good.

Yes low skill casual players, your love of 24 player servers, immersion, cysts, power nodes and other stuff we don't is the reason why there are too few high skilled players and why we have to stomp you. Consider it comeuppance for having wrong opinions.

If you were good, you wouldn't be complaining about things that make the game harder(IE: Dynamic Lighting).
    Maybe try playing with the lighting turned pretty much off if it really bothers you that much.

Immersion isn't a bad thing.
    I have a feeling that's just a word you threw in there, because I don't think you're talking about being immersed in the game(forgetting that you're playing a game or being so into/focused on the game that you only see the computer screen).

While I'm not a fan of the power node mechanic, that's mostly due to the lack of a warning when it's being bile bombed, which if your team is playing aggressively enough doesn't matter.
    The cysts are just something you "have to do", the only time they become annoying is when marines kill your choke points over and over again(Which is what marines should be doing, when they're not killing res towers).

If your performance/player skill is that reliant on having OMG HUEG framerates, you're probably not that good in the first place.
    Res wrote: »
    Actually, I never made a reference to minority or majority. The type of gamer I'm talking about is very much in the majority in this day and age of gaming... the type of gamer that used to be, like me, is a dying breed..... which is just saddening to me.

I appear to have mistook the phrase 'lowest common denominator' for 'minority', I apologize for that. I agree that newer gamers are not like us old school gamers, but I don't think their style or approach to gaming is wrong because of that. I do not agree with some of my friends giving up on the game so quickly, but I do understand the reasoning behind it and don't believe that it should be ignored just because I don't approach it in the same way.

• JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members

Specifically, @JAMESEARLJONOS: You are highlighting the issue all too well. Rookie servers/tags don't mean anything to a lot of people. This feature was not implemented into the game to be ignored, it was intended to serve a purpose that people like you are refusing to accept. Please read the whole thread before responding.

It has also been addressed that this issue goes both ways, when an abundance of rookies join a non-rookie-friendly server. It renders the 'rookie' mechanic to be nearly useless.

I think you missed the overall point in my post. Which is simply

99.9% of the people who play this game are bad. There's not much difference between "I JUST GOT THIS GAME" bad, and "I'm a casual player" bad. There's absolutely zero skill level difference between any of the servers up in this game right now. It's the same consistent level of terrible play. The people who fall into the category of good players are an extreme minority, and would have the effect they have on any server they join.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I don't think the OP understands what rookie friendly means.... it doesn't mean it's a safe haven for new players to play only with other new players.. it means that you're not going to be banned for playing poorly.

Unfortunately, what seems to be the case is that rookie servers HAVE turned into places only new players play. I've seen people get shit talked and insulted with no end for doing something like getting Carapace first, when early Cara is pretty much the closest thing this game has to a standard strategy.
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    There are two options for veterans

1) Play in a pub
    2) Don't play the game

That's all there is to it. Either we "stomp pubs" (by playing normally), or we just flat out don't play the game. Scrims aren't 24/7. Gathers take an hour to start. If you want to play NS2, you have to stomp pubs.

Imagine you're really good at a game you love. Would it be wrong to join a public server, just because you're good at video games?

Fuck that. I just want to play. If I go 40-0 against you, that's too fucking bad.
    I think the OP is complaining about people purposely going into servers where they know most of the people are awful, not people who are good at the game playing it.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    Its not rookie only just rookie friendly...

And somehow this changes the fact that these servers are intended for new players? Part of the reason they are 'rookie-friendly' is because most of them are filled with rookies. Not experienced players.

Incorrect, when the feature was added it was intended that servers would use the tag to denote that it is a server willing to be accepting and helpful to new players, not that it is a server just for rookies.
    Rookie Friendly != Rookie Only
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    most non-rookie servers are like 12 v 12