Veteran server up and running

GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
Hey guys

I have just finished setting up a veteran server for everyone to use. It runs with a reserved slot plugin and I have given all the strongest teams in the game a slot. These are teams like Archaea, HG, Duplex, Coolclan, Saunamen and ofc Goðar :).
This means players from these teams will always be able to join the server no matter what. The players with reserved slot can be identified by the icon in front of their name.
Anyone can play on the server but after the server has filled up a random player will be kicked if someone with reserved slot enters the game.

I have 5 maps in the current mapcycle. They are nsl_summit, nsl_tram, nsl_veil, Jambi and Icarus. I think the last 2 maps really deserve more playtime and I hope this will help getting them competitive ready. I strongly encourage everyone to leave feedback on the mapping forums after trying them out.

If there is anything I could add or do better please let me know or leave a comment. I hope to see this server get active soon.

- Godar - Veteran only - Reserved slot 178.239.170.164:27015

Comments

• wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Thats really cool Grissi, thanks!
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Reyn89Reyn89 Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153985Members
    Sounds good, but I think kicking a random player when someone with a reserved slot tries to join is a bad idea. Firstly, what if it kicks the comm or a higher alien lifeform? Secondly, it's going to really annoy people if they are kicked mid-way through a game and it will put people off coming back.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Reyn89 wrote: »
    Sounds good, but I think kicking a random player when someone with a reserved slot tries to join is a bad idea. Firstly, what if it kicks the comm or a higher alien lifeform? Secondly, it's going to really annoy people if they are kicked mid-way through a game and it will put people off coming back.
    -Veteran Only-
    What? Clearly I'm missing something if that's a response.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    It doesn't literally kick a random player. It is a euphemism for a non-reserved slot holding player.

The reserved slot kick operates how all the other servers do; it checks the player's score and whether they're a commander. It might accidently kick a commander that is out of the chair/hive, but that's it.
    Ah I see, that makes sense then. Cheers.