Agree / Disagree icons need to be more distinct

Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
edited February 2013 in Web Site Feedback
I feel like the agree and disagree icons are way to small and similar, maybe they should color coded?

I have a hard time telling them apart when they are lined up at the bottom of a post...

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    While we're on this, when someone flags one of your posts as 'troll' when it clearly isn't, what is the comeback? This was done recently by a forum member to every single post in one of his threads, mine included, and it might seem petty and meaningless, but I find that really bloody offensive. To the person who did it: I've already PM'd you asking you to unflag which you so far have failed to do. Please do so, you know who you are.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Voting systems destroy discourse. Reddit-->
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    While we're on this, when someone flags one of your posts as 'troll' when it clearly isn't, what is the comeback? This was done recently by a forum member to every single post in one of his threads, mine included, and it might seem petty and meaningless, but I find that really bloody offensive. To the person who did it: I've already PM'd you asking you to unflag which you so far have failed to do. Please do so, you know who you are.

You need to relax, buddy, they are just meaningless virtual pixels.

Feel free to flag my post.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    He's speaking about me. And don't say to feel free to flag your post; some mod may bury ur post by flagging it 5 times on his or her own will. And then you'll get a warning from a different mod, then the original mod won't even respond.

about the icons in general: stupid. you are, for one, allowing the entire community to basically edit the entire forum. Also, you are putting extra powers to the mods.. they don't need it.. it can only be used to exploit at this point bc they can already edit and close your threads/posts. Also (as seen above), some people get really offended and take it personal from other community members whenever they give them a negative flag. It's basically talking shit without saying a word...
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation

Yep, I would rather just see it removed.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Roobubba wrote: »

You need to relax, buddy, they are just meaningless virtual pixels.

Feel free to flag my post.

No need to flag your post, there's nothing wrong with it!
    edited February 2013
    already, two people have flagged people instead of posting or even saying anything in the thread (isnt that trolling?). people abuse this, admins abuse this, it upsets people all-around. idk what was wrong with the forums before.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2013

There's a distinct difference between reddit's voting system and these forums. On these forums, the act of voting neither hides nor elevates a persons comment. Where as on reddit, the majority opinion is ALWAYS reinforced because the majority opinion is up voted and the minority opinion is downvoted or upvoted less. Thus, you have many majority opinions being systematically presented where minority opinions are hidden.

On the NS2 forums, the votes are purely cosmetic. When strofix gets 15 disagrees and 15 trolls on a single post, that post isn't removed or hidden. It sits right there in all of its shitty glory. Similarly, highly rated posts are not pushed to the front of the thread. They remain in their own place and are only graced with a blue band to distinguish them from the standard posts.

edit: 5 flags minimizes posts. Disagrees don't appear to do anything. Perhaps we shouldn't be allowed to use the troll flag.
    edited February 2013
    sorry gorgeous, but the whole getting 15 troll flags does bury posts. im pretty sure u need only 5. flag me and lets see

edit* the flagging for good posts, it doesn't bring their post to the front, u're right. instead, it highlights their post.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited February 2013
    I think people are over reacting.

I don't think the agree/disagree system isn't really a moderation tool. I've seen 3-4 buried posts since it was introduced. Every buried post I've seen, has been totally justified, as a post which didn't contribute anything to the discussion.

I have yet to see some one get flagged as troll and have their post buried for expressing an unpopular opinion. I've seen them get hit with a ton of 'disagree' but that won't bury the post.

I really like the system, it allows people to interact with the forum, with our spamming it up with "+1" or "QFT" type posts.

Frequently I don't post because some one else already said exactly what I thought, the 'agree' button lets me express my support with out spamming the forums.

ALSO: to be on topic, love or hate the system, it has lost a lot of its convenience because the agree and disagree icons are different by maybe 4 pixels. It be nice if the symbol was more readable at a glance.
    GORGEous wrote: »

There's a distinct difference between reddit's voting system and these forums. On these forums, the act of voting neither hides nor elevates a persons comment. Where as on reddit, the majority opinion is ALWAYS reinforced because the majority opinion is up voted and the minority opinion is downvoted or upvoted less. Thus, you have many majority opinions being systematically presented where minority opinions are hidden.

On the NS2 forums, the votes are purely cosmetic. When strofix gets 15 disagrees and 15 trolls on a single post, that post isn't removed or hidden. It sights right there in all of its shitty glory. Similarly, highly rated posts are not pushed to the front of the thread. They remain in their own place and are only graced with a blue band to distinguish them from the standard posts.

It does encourage a lot of people to just click the disagree button and never post instead of posting to agree and WHY they agree or disagree. It also does eventually hide the post.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    On these forums, the act of voting neither hides nor elevates a persons comment.

Not true, I have seen commons hidden because they received too many flags. I do not recall the thread.
    Katana- wrote: »
    Sometimes further elaboration isn't required. Some times a post covers the topic completely. In that case wouldn't it be better to just 'agree' with the post rather than write your own copy of the post, or a cheesey "what this guy said is brilliant" post?

There's no point in agreeing or disagreeing without further discussion.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Sometimes further elaboration isn't required. Some times a post covers the topic completely. In that case wouldn't it be better to just 'agree' with the post rather than write your own copy of the post, or a cheesey "what this guy said is brilliant" post?
    This.

Seriously though, I definitely agree with the OP about the icon differentiation. I am glad that you can hover over the icons, but making so I don't have to do this would be even better.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members

you must not be big on democracy... or consensus.

Or getting anything done.

Or anything... except arguing.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited February 2013
    Turns forums into popularity contests where people post or submit what they think people want to hear or will get them the most amount of upvotes/agrees regardless of how inane it is.

Go make a funny quip with 0 malice on a dev post and get 20 agrees/awesomes (they didn't say WHICH FEBRUARY LOLO), go bring up a legitimate complaint about a horrible mechanic in the game that ruins pubs and you're lucky if the whole thread full of valid points has the same amount of agrees/awesome, doesn't matter if it filters content like reddit does it will quickly filter submissions whether you want it to or not.

Do agree with the OP on buttons being indistinguishable. I would prefer a "last played" button as well so it could easily be pointed out certain members with 600+ posts haven't played this game in well over a month and can fuck off and stop shit posting in game mechanic threads. Maybe integrate with Facebook too like the upcoming PS4.

edit: about into amount.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Xao wrote: »
    Maybe integrate with Facebook too like the upcoming PS4.

Can't tell if serious...
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    edited February 2013
    When strofix gets 15 disagrees and 15 trolls on a single post, that post isn't removed or hidden. It sights right there in all of its shitty glory. Similarly, highly rated posts....

Damn! That's harsh.

If you fully agree with a post (word-for-word), why not agree? It saves time and saves a meaningless post.

If you agree with one post fully and disagree with the opposite argument, why is there need for further explanation? Your opinion is fairly clear.

It's convenient.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond

However, in some cases a description is required, which often is not provided.

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Moved to the correct forum.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Sampson wrote: »
    sorry gorgeous, but the whole getting 15 troll flags does bury posts. im pretty sure u need only 5. flag me and lets see

edit* the flagging for good posts, it doesn't bring their post to the front, u're right. instead, it highlights their post.

Yeah, you're right. It does seem like 5 "flags" will minimize a post. I'll edit my post. I don't think this is an issue, but people should probably disagree instead of flagging as troll. Perhaps troll shouldn't count to the 5 flags because quite a few posters on these forums come off as complete trolls in their sincerity.

• GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2013
    Flagging isnt a "super disagreement" button, incorrect flags will be ignored by the mods. And if someone continualy missuse the flagging, its their forum accounts that gets a notch for trolling.