Positional audio bug where sound precedes actual gameworld position

shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited February 2013 in Technical Support
I have this bug where the positional audio of the player I am controlling, whether I am marine or alien, precedes the actual position of my viewmodel in the gameworld.

I am using 5 channel audio output in the game because my sound card does a better job of HRTF virtualizing of that surround sound to make precise positional audio for my headphones.

Here is a video showing the bug:

The video however doesnt show it as exaggerated as it actually is, its slightly toned down in it for some reason.

Specs:

Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5 (quad-core) 3570K @ 4.2GHz
AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4870x2 custom overclocked (GPU 775MHz, memory 960MHz)
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
Latest Catalyst 13.1 legacy drivers, all other system drivers installed.
Windows 8 x64

Comments

• shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
  • rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    I believe this is an issue that the devs are currently working on.
  • JediPhreaKJediPhreaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167028Members
    Any devs want to comment on this issue? I have a new pair of headphones I am not using because last I checked the positional sound was messed up with them. I have an older pair that plugs into the 5.1 ports on my card, rather than a USB one that functions via drivers.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @shonan You should probably include your sound card in the "Specs" section of your OP. Might as well include the relevant settings that you're using in the driver software as well.
    -WildCat- wrote: »
    @shonan You should probably include your sound card in the "Specs" section of your OP. Might as well include the relevant settings that you're using in the driver software as well.
    This is an issue with the game itself, and as a playtester above confirmed.

I shouldnt have included the unnecessary explanation regarding my soundcard, its just confusing.
  • havok?havok? Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152462Members, NS2 Map Tester
    This has been a problem since mid september , I wouldn't hold my breath for it to be fixed any time soon.
    havok? wrote: »
    This has been a problem since mid september , I wouldn't hold my breath for it to be fixed any time soon.
    Such a shame :(

Hope they can easily fix it rather sooner than later, it is becoming "slightly" annoying
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    well it just sounds a bit deplaced - like its a 2nd skulk walking synchronized next to you but in some fact i like that - gives a bit more feedback wich feet have to handle a higher weight while you walk sidewards also other speakers will have more "space" to deliver other sounds.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have the same problem with my 5.1 speaker system. It's as if you here yourself running behind you. The sounds emitted from yourself should not be played over the positional audio system. They should played like the "Building under attack" notifications.

Please fix the sound UWE. It's probably easy. Just change the self-emitted sounds so they don't use positional audio.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I had an annoying bug like that which turned out to be my head phones on the wrong way :)
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Exoskelett wrote: »
    well it just sounds a bit deplaced - like its a 2nd skulk walking synchronized next to you but in some fact i like that - gives a bit more feedback wich feet have to handle a higher weight while you walk sidewards also other speakers will have more "space" to deliver other sounds.
    Actually... I already had that with my headset :/