A simple request to alien commanders

MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
When you get time, can you log out, go gorge, and build 3 hydras in our starting hive? Maybe clog the upgrades or power node?

Thanks

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    mareen comm: pls don't
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Volcano wrote: »
    Random player that jumps in and steals comm
    Talk to your team and tell them what you're doing. Easy enough.

If you don't have a mic, you shouldn't be comm in the first place.

• GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    edited February 2013
    I do that everytime, something nice I saw on a stream once: put clogs around important upgrades like carapace shell. Also if you have a sensible team they will eject the person that stole the comm.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    I have qualms with commanders that stay as gorge.

It seems like a perfectly logical thing to do, but it always seems to bite you in the ass. If 2 marines walk in and go straight for your crag, you really need to be a skulk. But yeah, why not drop those Hydras and evolve back. Its not like you're going to have the resources to do anything else anytime soon.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter

This is pretty much the reason I rarely hop out of comm in pubs.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members

I wanna play where you play.

I have to command 80%+ of games I'm in simply because nobody else will.

• ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    I don't mind being the comm, but I do not like being blamed for things beyond my control, like when the alien team is out played skill wise.. It's not my fault, as comm, that the team spends more time waiting to spawn than they do on the battlefield. My GUI doesn't have a button to fix that.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's not my fault, as comm, that the team spends more time waiting to spawn than they do on the battlefield. My GUI doesn't have a button to fix that.

Sure it does. 'A' is the shortcut to that button.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Me: <Chat> "I'm gonna go and heal the hive up! Nobody needs to go and comm!"

10sec

Me again: <Mic> "I'm going to build the hive, I'm saving for upgrades meanwhile, no need to comm guys."

20sec

Random: <Chat> "We have no comm???"

Me: <Mic> "I'm commanding, I'm just healing the hive up."

30sec random jumps into hive starts dropping shit burning all my res.

Oh well. :P
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Me: <Chat> "I'm gonna go and heal the hive up! Nobody needs to go and comm!"

10sec

Me again: <Mic> "I'm going to build the hive, I'm saving for upgrades meanwhile, no need to comm guys."

20sec

Random: <Chat> "We have no comm???"

Me: <Mic> "I'm commanding, I'm just healing the hive up."

30sec random jumps into hive starts dropping shit burning all my res.

Oh well. :P

Yup, normal. :P
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    edited February 2013
    No thanks, not going to risk that.

p.s. don't say "don't jump in and comm" because he will jump in. Yesterday I was so pissed off, we had a great plan - the whole team sneaking to the main alien hive while we're losing our main base, comm says NOT to shoot cysts, one d-head starts shooting cysts.
  • Not SureNot Sure Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177758Members
    edited February 2013
    Not a bad point, OP. And detractors, remember you can always just kill yourself after dropping the hydras if you want to stay skulk for biting and whatnot.

Also, giving yourself an onos later on makes for a lot of fun late game when marines try to sneak in.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    Not Sure wrote: »
    you can always just kill yourself after dropping the hydras if you want to stay skulk for biting and whatnot.

You can change back, to a skulk, rather than kill yourself. That way, you still gain pRes.
  • ChickenbombChickenbomb Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164648Members
    As Alien comm, I always hop out to drop clogs around upgrades and some hydras as early warning. Never clog the power node tho, as marines can still build it, but your skulks would have trouble killing it.
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    When are you supposed to have time for this? When I alien comm I'm constantly cysting, getting upgrades, building structures, taking mist requests, etc. If I get out, that's going to hurt in ways that are more detrimental than the hydras are beneficial.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    You can always drop yourself a mist if you want to do it really fast
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    You
    Apreche2 wrote: »
    When are you supposed to have time for this? When I alien comm I'm constantly cysting, getting upgrades, building structures, taking mist requests, etc. If I get out, that's going to hurt in ways that are more detrimental than the hydras are beneficial.
    You're doing it wrong. As in, you either waste too much res on stuff you can't actually hold OR you're playing on 24 slot servers. :P

• Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    You
    You're doing it wrong. As in, you either waste too much res on stuff you can't actually hold OR you're playing on 24 slot servers. :P
    I am guilty of spending lots of res on extra unnecessary cysts. I just like to completely cover the ground so that marines can't build a phase gate without destroying a cyst and alerting me of their presence. I should build drifters instead to do the same thing, but I hate managing units. It's fun because it's like Starcraft where I only build the buildings and the marines play themselves. If I have to start controlling drifters, then it gets annoying.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    My standard procedure in almost all games is this:

1. Cyst to nearest Harvester
    2. Start Crag Hive upgrade
    3. Jump out
    4. Evolve Gorge
    5. Place Hydras
    6. Jump back in
    7. Place Harvester
    8. Place Shell
    9. Jump out
    10. Build Shell
    11. Jump back in
    12. Start Carapace research
    13. Jump out
    14. Build Harvester
    15. Clog Carapace Shell
    16. Jump back in
    17. Send out first Drifter

This I can get done in under 60 seconds, unless I need excess cysts to reach the nearest Harvester (> 5), in which case I may need to wait for a resource tick or two.

I will then decide if it's going to be more beneficial for me to go back to Skulk (offensive Marine team), or to stay Gorge ready to build my own second Hive (defensive Marine team).
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Never clog the power node tho, as marines can still build it, but your skulks would have trouble killing it.

Truth or speculation?
    Pretty sure bile goes through clogs, so no.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold

Slightly off point, but: When you drop the second hive, you can go heal it up and it's okay even if your team res reaches 70 before it's done and you can command again - you will spend all that money instantly on leap, cara (or some other upgrade) and maybe bile.

You COULD of course stay comm and try to take an extra harvester or two, but that's always a gamble that won't benefit you much and comes with a delayed hive and delayed upgrades.

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I used to do this when I commed but ever since release 9/10 if you're out of the hive long enough for the "no commander" message to hop in, someone is gonna snipe your chair and drop a bunch of whips or upgrade your hive to a shade or something stupid like that.
  • Not SureNot Sure Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177758Members
    edited February 2013

#1: I think you're spending too much money if you're that busy building
    #2: You get like a minute and a half of free time after dropping your second harvester and before getting your first upgrade, so that's plenty of time to do a quick hydra/clog penis set up.
    #3: It's a lot easier to bite a marine who's shooting a hydra than one who's shooting directly at the hive you need to exit.

addendum to #1: I completely agree with you that, contrary to popular opinion, there is always something to do as alien comm, but conserving your res and letting it build up to 60-100 isn't terrible, considering you can drop it all in three seconds once you get another hive up. Timely upgrades > cyst harassment, defensive structures, almost anything really.

And any egg that isn't a fade or onos or directly in the line of fire shouldn't get a mist. Total waste imo.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    I do that everytime, something nice I saw on a stream once: put clogs around important upgrades like carapace shell. Also if you have a sensible team they will eject the person that stole the comm.

I first saw it on a stream also, and have been doing it ever since.