Your opinion on concede

14567810»

Comments

• CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    For me, the fact that NS2 is a team game is absolutely central to the experience and its appeal. The game (for me) isn't about shooting down harvesters, it's about being part of a team who are using communication and coordination to effectively plan and execute a winning strategy. ... and if shooting down harvesters is part of that strategy, well, then I say "let's git-er-done!"

Couldn't have said that better, it mirrors my opinion of the game (though I'd lump NS1 in the description as well).

NS/NS2 is a game about how well you can work in a team to accomplish goals, above any aspect that involves personal skill. It's about communicating, listening, and not being this guy.

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited February 2013
    Being that guy is often beneficial though, seriously I've taken several hives by just telling people to bumrush the hive and ignore everything spraying bullets into it constantly. Rifles work better on hives than aliens. Not to mention the benefits of deliberately avoiding the main areas of contention to attack undefended areas.

Running off on your own is actually very useful, mostly because of the strategic game.
  • thefrozenonethefrozenone Join Date: 2013-02-24 Member: 183302Members
    edited February 2013
    Chris0132 wrote: »
    Being that guy is often beneficial though, seriously I've taken several hives by just telling people to bumrush the hive and ignore everything spraying bullets into it constantly. Rifles work better on hives than aliens. Not to mention the benefits of deliberately avoiding the main areas of contention to attack undefended areas.

Running off on your own is actually very useful, mostly because of the strategic game.

It only works if you are the only one doing it and your are very good at what you do. It really just boils down to how much you harass and distract them.
  • CurveCurve Join Date: 2003-12-17 Member: 24475Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Concede is being abused right now and it is making the game very unfun. Counter-Strike: GO has an "Abandon Match" feature in Competitive mode but it also has constraints. You can't abandon the match unless a player abandons your team first. There should be some sort of requirement in order to Concede in NS2, majority vote is not enough in my opinion.
  • Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
    Firstly, NS2 is not NS1, so stop making comparisons. I'm sick of hearing, "Back in NS1..."

Secondly, I feel that concede is a nice feature, but I'm not sure it works in its current implementation. I don't like the way that games prematurely end nowadays in almost all circumstances, but when you're an alien and the marine team is basically farming your team for kills, refusing to actually walk in and take out the hive, it's frustrating and the only way to escape the frustrating situation besides F4-ing.

I don't know. I'm glad it's there sometimes, but frustrated by its presence at others. In any case, the visibility of Vote to Concede votes and the players who have made them is a welcome addition, so you know just who is being a negative nancy and conceding whenever things look anything but rosy.
  • KilledByDeathKilledByDeath Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176308Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well considering these games are over in the first 5 minutes it's 100% needed and if you don't like it you are probably just mad you can't go 30-0 as an Onos while Marines can do literally nothing about it
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well considering these games are over in the first 5 minutes it's 100% needed and if you don't like it you are probably just mad you can't go 30-0 as an Onos while Marines can do literally nothing about it

And this is the problem with NS2 right now. The winner is usually determined very early on and the other side simply cannot turn the tide. This was not the case with NS1. The end result is that NS1 was a lot more fun to play. I am not sure what game mechanic(s) is/are causing this problem but they need to be addressed.
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    I am mixed on Concede. On the one hand, if it truly is dire straits, a team will F4 or recycle (if Marines). On the other, I have played a few games where an amazing comeback occurs and those are some of the most memorable experiences I have had in NS2. In fact, those games are one of the primary reasons I still play.

Now, I have not played in a few builds until 240, so I am aware Concede was added earlier, but based off my experiences in 240 so far... I feel it is rampantly overused. I too am guilty of giving up earlier than I should just because the first five minutes do not go well.

I feel that Concede is a self-fulfilling prophecy, if your team believes they cannot win, they won't. Concede just gives the give-uppers and rage-quitters an easy outlet that happens to drag down the entire team with them (and also the game). Meaning Concede is susceptible to groupthink, if someone sees it pop up, everyone just votes without thinking and the game is suddenly over.

My only suggestion is that Concede have more parameters that have to be met in order to appear in the command menu.