Not Disappointed! *Cheer up now damn it*

13»

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    UKFX wrote: »
    Not bitching folks. Any sort of expressed concern on a forum is usually followed by angry people who seem to think that someone is bitching or has something against their precious game. I do not.

An in regards to the 6870 OC, yes I know it isn't a high end card, but when I play many more visually pleasing games with solid performance, evidently it points to the lack of optimisation. Anyway, most people acknowledge performance issues on NS2, so there is no further need to discuss it here. The bit where you claim I am upset, is also unnecessary.

Attack, attack! Attack the forum user!

I think you are really overreacting with claiming that we are attacking you, from what I've read in this thread no one is attacking or flaming you. You are apparently imagining this somehow. they are just pointing out that you are drawing wrong conclusions based on false information and wrong expectations. FYI, disagreeing is not attacking or flaming.

Also why do people keep saying the 6870 is not a good card, am I missing something here or did AMD screw up with the 6000series? I keep seeing people saying, the 68XX are not really great performers... The X8XX series are gaming performance cards, just below the gamer enthusiast X9XX cards. Even two or one generations older (4850 or 5870) are still good performers... And that 6870 is way more then capable to handle NS2...

My guess is your i5 is running at stock speeds right? There is where your performance is causing it to go into the 35 FPS, which is still damn impressive on only 3.3Ghz. Try setting it to use the "3.7Ghz turbo mode" if you're not into overclocking. Or if you are, set it to run at least at 4.0Ghz or 4.2Ghz, this is where the game starts to see some good improvements in terms of performance.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    I loved NS1 and I pre-ordered NS2 before it came out and I was so hyped for it. However, after it peaked to over 7K during the sales the game has pretty much died.

I live in Europe, in England to be exact and outside of US peak times the game has a severe lack of players. NS2 currently has 700 players, with a max peak (within the last 24 hours) of 2K.

What went wrong?

Firstly, lack of optimisation didn't help when the game released. I have a i5-2500K, a 6870 OC and 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 on Win 7 64. I don't feel I should be getting 35fps when the shit hits the fan. Also, the atmospherics are like looking through dense fog. I don't know if anybody else sees it, but it's just pure ugly. It's thick and interferes with background lighting. For instance in small passages on Lava Falls, if you actually stare at the lava falls you can see this whitish, thick mist/fog overlaying it, when in fact the colour of that mist/fog should be leaning more to the ambient colour of the room (orangey), and on top of which, as a priority, it shouldn't be as thick as 50 fat mafia bosses smokin' cubans in a book makers.

I've tweeted @NS2 in frustration many times and was obviously ignored when stating the seriously bad performance and lack of players, yet it seems the developers of this game are still working on a half finished repaint of NS1, with an iffy engine and yet are so pleased with their own work, they simply refuse to accept that the game is pretty much dead and burried after such a short space of time, or simply put, in denial - or just don't care.

I want the game to live. It's a very unique game. It always has been a unique concept to mix strategy, team play and FPS in a team based struggle to dominate, but it's just not working.

Another thing I wish to point out, is the price. The price for the game is discouraging people and the lack of sales (I know, the Steam winter sale has not long passed) or free to play weekends is preventing the playerbase from expanding.

I'll show you a little something I posted, not that long ago:

After a few months of this game being out, it is borderline dead. In fact, the last couple of months the rough average of players I saw was still only around 2K and that was during US peak times.

What are UWE going to do about this? Free to play weekend? Discounts during said weekend? More optimisation?

I mean no disrespect to those who love the game, and I definitely do not mean disrespect towards the developers, but I hope something is done about this. The game does not deserve to be dead at all. I think the planning, timing and release of the game initially was a bad idea and should of been set out later, rather than sooner. The biggest injustice and killer to this game was, without a doubt, performance.

I'd encourage those of you who love the game, to support it further and encourage your friends to buy it. We can't let a unique game such as this, be swamped in a sea of mediocre simplistic shooters and pants updates to pointless run-arounds like TF2.

May I also point out, turning off special effects doesn't make all that much of a difference when the shit hits the fan, so it's not my computer.

Last thing. When I played a game this morning, people at the end complained about balance issues - as usual. They did point out a good point though, whilst it takes a while to save for Onos, depending on RTs, lots of resources must go on upgrades and tiers for Marines to get dual Exos. Also, I believe that Lerks should be 25 res as opposed to 30 - half the fade. Just an idea.

Thanks for reading my post.

Peace

This game is far from dead. I suspect that screenshot was either taken at 3am US time or immediately after a patch. Every day I'm on I have at least 20 servers with good player counts and a nice ping available to me- And that's during dead-time of 11am PST.

This game has a lot of problems, but it certainly isn't dead. I agree it runs like ass even on modern hardware, but that's not something that can easily be solved. The scripting engine is in LUA. :(
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    gH0sTy wrote: »
    This is true, however from a Free to Play weekend I'd only expect a small rise, not thousands. A free to play weekend would at least encourage people to play it and perhaps get interested.
    True but they need to fix the performance issues many people have before having a free weekend.
    No one would buy a game that doesn't run smooth on their system.

I am bewildered. So what, it's a weekday. There is over 60 million people in the UK and a shit ton more in Europe lol.

Nevermind. This thread has no purpose now anyway. I'll play the game later when there is more people online. An triple-A title or not, for a game this unique and this new, I didn't expect such low numbers. However, it has revealed to me that the majority of Steam players are DOTA 2 players, TF2 hat traders or people too stupid to learn the magic that is NS2.

Point. Click. Shoot. Die.

As opposed to actually thinking.

(Note I play CSGO, which is not easy, especially in comparison to COD games :D )

Speaking of which, if anyone isn't annoyed by my comments, feel free to add me on Steam - Captain Baldy ;)

Don't kid yourself, NS is mostly point click shoot die as well. There's maybe 2-3 viable strategies on both sides.
  • UKFXUKFX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182834Members
    UKFX, your post was disingenuous. The inclusion of screenshot of a server browser that has not stopped refreshing or is set to filter out servers is downright dishonest. It is also, if you care for NS as much as you say, shameful given less informed readers may actually believe it to be real. Whatever respect you may have commanded for your concern vapourised in an instant the moment you chose to include that lie as evidence.

Futher, whatever your motivation for wishing to share your pessimism, it is not valid. Brilliant (ongoing) sales numbers, vibrant community, ongoing updates and growing modding scene are a testament to the outsize, unexpected and of course imperfect success of NS2.

Your needle about concurrent player numbers is particularly ridiculous given the titles NS2 consistently beats in the Steam 100 list. It is a wonderful, happy fact that today's gamer has far more choice of where to spend their hours than they did ten years ago. NS2 is part of a rich, high quality patchwork quilt of games vying for the attention of gamers. Player numbers will naturally ebb and flow based on the relative vogue of games and the degree to which they reward players for consistent participation.

If your inclusion of that screenshot was simply an overreach driven by passion, if you truly love NS2 as much as you say, and if you actually want to help it grow for the future, then the way you treat it has to change. These forums are filled with legitimate posts about optimisation, balance, feature requests and other concerns that UWE strives to address every single day. But those posts maintain a healthy degree of honesty and optimism. Two qualities you would do well to emulate.

*Edited for spelling error.

I wouldn't expect such accusations from a developer and on top of that, calling me a liar is immature and incorrect. First of all, I didn't sit for 10 minutes before I took that screen shot, but neither did I sit there for 5 seconds before taking the screen shot either and I didn't actually realise it hadn't stopped refreshing. Don't accuse me of being a liar, that statement just makes me think less of your company as a whole, especially if it has people in it that think like that and try to purposely insult one of the people who bought and supported the game.

In fact, I am more disappointed with you than the whole time I've been on this forum (less than 24 hours) and I've already had to deal with an entire wave of negativity from most people which is quite unfair considering we are merely discussing the game, and on top of which I have had to deal with negativity and insults (misguided ones) from one of the developers of the game. All I was mostly concerned about was the playerbase, all people had to do was express their opinions, not accuse me of this that and the other.

Next time I just wish that people could actually sit back and at least try to see my point, as opposed to getting massively defensive and being snarky and abrupt.

Not cool.

• bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited February 2013
    So you're telling me that currently, there are loads of full servers for you now? When I checked just over an hour ago, there was 700 people online, and with my filters (pings no higher than 90), I had that number of rooms. Did you filter pings? Anything over 90, as a maximum, is no good to me. I don't wish to play with delay or lag.

Increase your ping limit. Pings in the server browser fluctuate wildly such that it might appear 30ms higher than it actually will be once you get connected. Just click the server name a few times (causing refreshes) and the lower pings will be what you get in-game. Also I recommend removing the server performance filter and the Modded filter. A lot of modded servers are only modded in that they add stats tracking or an admin mod / voting system or that kind of thing, and you are missing out by not including them in your server browser.
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Not bitching folks. Any sort of expressed concern on a forum is usually followed by angry people who seem to think that someone is bitching or has something against their precious game. I do not.

An in regards to the 6870 OC, yes I know it isn't a high end card, but when I play many more visually pleasing games with solid performance, evidently it points to the lack of optimisation. Anyway, most people acknowledge performance issues on NS2, so there is no further need to discuss it here. The bit where you claim I am upset, is also unnecessary.

Attack, attack! Attack the forum user!

I think you are really overreacting with claiming that we are attacking you, from what I've read in this thread no one is attacking or flaming you. You are apparently imagining this somehow. they are just pointing out that you are drawing wrong conclusions based on false information and wrong expectations. FYI, disagreeing is not attacking or flaming.

Also why do people keep saying the 6870 is not a good card, am I missing something here or did AMD screw up with the 6000series? I keep seeing people saying, the 68XX are not really great performers... The X8XX series are gaming performance cards, just below the gamer enthusiast X9XX cards. Even two or one generations older (4850 or 5870) are still good performers... And that 6870 is way more then capable to handle NS2...

My guess is your i5 is running at stock speeds right? There is where your performance is causing it to go into the 35 FPS, which is still damn impressive on only 3.3Ghz. Try setting it to use the "3.7Ghz turbo mode" if you're not into overclocking. Or if you are, set it to run at least at 4.0Ghz or 4.2Ghz, this is where the game starts to see some good improvements in terms of performance.

I already have Turbo Mode on. I actually removed my OC from 3.8Ghz because I found it to be pointless. If I can get an improvement then I'll OC to 4.0Ghz, cake walk with air cooling on this processor.

bp2008 wrote: »
    So you're telling me that currently, there are loads of full servers for you now? When I checked just over an hour ago, there was 700 people online, and with my filters (pings no higher than 90), I had that number of rooms. Did you filter pings? Anything over 90, as a maximum, is no good to me. I don't wish to play with delay or lag.

Increase your ping limit. Pings in the server browser fluctuate wildly such that it might appear 30ms higher than it actually will be once you get connected. Just click the server name a few times (causing refreshes) and the lower pings will be what you get in-game. Also I recommend removing the server performance filter and the Modded filter. A lot of modded servers are only modded in that they add stats tracking or an admin mod / voting system or that kind of thing, and you are missing out by not including them in your server browser.

Thanks.

• bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Yup, np. I have a favorites list of nearly a dozen servers that have good pings near me (USA West). More than half of them are full most nights and nearly all of them are modded (with admin mods and such). Some frequently show a low performance % but they work just fine anyway.

You might also want to allow passworded servers to appear, as the best server in my favorites list dynamically turns the password lock on at 18/19 players to allow for reserved slot holders to connect. If I don't have the Passworded box checked, it won't appear in the list when it is full / locked.
    Thanks again @bp2008.

@Kouji_San - I've overclocked my 2500K to 4.0GHz and my video card to 950MHz / 1100MHz. I'll play a few games in a moment see how it is. :)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2013
    i live in australia, the gaming scene is much, MUCH Smaller here, and none of your points are valid. I'm a person who's never had a good pc, NEVER, i've got a 5 year old office comp that can run ns2 on 60fps. what's your excuse? Are you putting everything to maximum and then crying 'cos you get 30 fps? Try turning things off. ns2 actually looks great compared to other games on it's lowest settings.

Also, why in the bloody heck are you trying to catch a game in the morning and saying the games underpop? people sleep in, people go to work, have hangovers and don't even want to look at their pitch black monitors let alone glowing ones. troll thread is troll.
    OK, none of my points are valid. Small player numbers are opinion and you guys don't agree. I get it.

Again, above poster why the attitude? Why is everyone on my case so much? I didn't say anything negative about the game per se, I was only expressing my concern because I like the game!

An no, it's not a troll thread. What is wrong with you? Unbelievable people here, accusations and abuse.

Was going to say I'm on NS2 now, enjoying myself and there are a lot of games. Performance is better since I OC'd my card and my processor, but 60fps for some reason doesn't feel that smooth. Mouse input lag perhaps?

I may have said things and ticked a few people off and for that I apologise, it wasn't my intention. My expectations were perhaps a bit excessive for that particular time in the morning. However, I do not appreciate being called a liar and being hated on by people for little reason. I was under the impression that the screenshot on Twitter of the NS2 server list had fully loaded. The dots after the server number disappeared and the update switch was there, so I figured it was done. Either that, or servers are missing from my list, for whatever reason that may be.

Let's not forget that I recommended this to some friends who did in fact buy the game. I wouldn't recommend a game I thought sucked, so clearly I do not think that. Also, on my Youtube channel... which I posted over a month ago:

Also, I'm very excited and I am looking forward to the future update. Gorgeness, new abilities, weapons etc. Very cool.

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Why do you constantly jump at us for 'attitude' when there is no such thing? You see what you want to see, and you act accordingly, and thusly we act accordingly. it's not too hard. your attitude leaves much to be desired.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    All i have to do is read your thread title and the first post to answer why people are responding the way they are?
    I'm honestly surprised that you are surprised, actually, if you are in fact not a troll.

You are not "expressing your concern" or " merely discussing the game" with sentences like these:
    "and was obviously ignored when stating the seriously bad performance and lack of players, yet it seems the developers of this game are still working on a half finished repaint of NS1, with an iffy engine and yet are so pleased with their own work, they simply refuse to accept that the game is pretty much dead and burried after such a short space of time, or simply put, in denial - or just don't care."

You are simply complaining, and whats worse, you used inaccurate evidence and claims (like the quote above) and then when called disingenuous you said it was a mistake. If that's so, then why make the claim still? Why not remove the pic, and retract your statement?

You are expecting everyone to agree with you and your expectations.
    We don't, clearly.
    You expect us to read your first post in a voice that does not contain an "attitude"
    We cannot, clearly.
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    i live in australia, the gaming scene is much, MUCH Smaller here, and none of your points are valid. I'm a person who's never had a good pc, NEVER, i've got a 5 year old office comp that can run ns2 on 60fps. what's your excuse? Are you putting everything to maximum and then crying 'cos you get 30 fps? Try turning things off. ns2 actually looks great compared to other games on it's lowest settings.

Also, why in the bloody heck are you trying to catch a game in the morning and saying the games underpop? people sleep in, people go to work, have hangovers and don't even want to look at their pitch black monitors let alone glowing ones. troll thread is troll.

I won't remove the picture or retract any statement if I am accused of being a liar. In my eyes I wasn't complaining, call it... frustration at a game I love not being a bit more popular. I'm no saint here, I admit, but haven't I already apologised? Considering people are actually giving attitude, see it however you want, I'm not going to sit here and nod my head at me apparently "crying" and being "dishonest". In fact, nobody in this forum is perfect and I've already admitted that I understand peoples points regarding the game and even after apologising other users will come in and recycle somebody elses point and then it kicks off again.

If you really want me to remove that picture, which I was going to do, I don't want to be accused of being a liar, because on my game, I was pretty certain the servers had fully refreshed. If it had not, then again, it's another problem that either needs fixing in the game or on my end. It wasn't my intention to give out false information regarding my experience on the game, I was "disappointed". That is all.

@Kouji_San

Overclocked to 4.0Ghz, just finished playing multiple games on NS2. According to OpenHardwareMonitor, my total CPU usage was 70.8%.

• CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members

I can't remember exactly why, but it had something to do with it being weaker than the previous generation (5870/5000 series). Still, it should easily handle NS2.

OP - Want to see a game that really went south. Check out Brink. I paid 60+ on launch for it. It had real performance issues with most AMD series cards; literally unplayable (5 FPS under any settings). You could only play with an Nvidia card. The dev's only focused on resolving the issues for the 6000 series. The gameplay had real issues, not subtle ones complained out in this forum, but real fun killing issues; ridiculous choke points, gimmicky movement. Player count went from 5000-6000 to 300 in month; 5000 to 1000 in a few weeks. It was torture if you wanted to enjoy the game.
    Ciro wrote: »

I can't remember exactly why, but it had something to do with it being weaker than the previous generation (5870/5000 series). Still, it should easily handle NS2.

OP - Want to see a game that really went south. Check out Brink. I paid 60+ on launch for it. It had real performance issues with most AMD series cards; literally unplayable (5 FPS under any settings). You could only play with an Nvidia card. The dev's only focused on resolving the issues for the 6000 series. The gameplay had real issues, not subtle ones complained out in this forum, but real fun killing issues; ridiculous choke points, gimmicky movement. Player count went from 5000-6000 to 300 in month; 5000 to 1000 in a few weeks. It was torture if you wanted to enjoy the game.

I've OC'd my card to 965 / 1125 now. I don't mind turning down a few settings to maintain performance. I find the biggest killer is the shadow setting. Since the max temp of this card is 105°c, an I'm no where near it, even after OC'ing, I can always push it further anyway. I'm sure performance will improve in future patches.

I did notice, after turning Vsync on with Triple Buffering in game, that it was stuttering quite badly when strafing - switching it to Double Buffered sorted the problem though.

• GnubboloGnubbolo Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62793Members
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Seriously though, look at that picture I posted. Really at 9 in the morning, for a game which is like 4 months old, I'd atleast expect a few thousand on.

You are comparing apples with oranges. This game:
    - is an indie game. (Not one with a marketing budged of millions.)
    - has a higher complexity than the default COD casual shooter. (Most people don't bother to learn it.)

Even if the devs would make it completely free to play, you will not see thousands of players in Europe at 9am. Because most players don't like that they need to use their brain in a game.
    cod is not different from ns, is control the map ( with nades and sniper ) and destroy the hive ( the cannon ), if u dont study the tacticts u cant win a single match.
    if you are a pubber of those games don't judging the "COD casual shooters", because win a cw is not casual.
    I meant in regards to shooting mechanics and the strategy involved. I know COD can be strategic to a certain degree, but in most public rooms that seems to go out of the window.
    To put it out there, I have deleted that tweet with the picture of the NS2 player numbers on, even when Mr. Jeremy refuses to see that I made a mistake and that I have already apologised numerous times for my blunder, even though he won't retract his statement regarding me being dishonest, a liar and that I purposely faked that screenshot to make NS2 look bad. Not the case.