bloody awful

kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
edited February 2013 in Web Site Feedback
The breadcrumb is overshadowed by the background image. Cannot effectively navigate to other sections of the forums quickly, background image obscures the forum text making it unreadable in parts.

Cant say I like the new forum much.

On the plus side it remembers my login now.

edit: I was going to upload a picture highlighting stuff but cant seem to figure out how. Can you upload now?

Comments

• GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    "background image obscures the forum text making it unreadable in parts."
    im sure this is a bug and you really should upload a picture of this to confirm it.
    and yes you can upload pictures but you still need a filehoster for this and then paste the link into this [+img+]*put link here*[+/ img+] (you also have to remove the + between the [ ] :)
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    I believe he is referring to this, look at the New Player section;

NS2forum_zpse5020269.jpg

Makes it tough to read some of the words when they blend into the picture background.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2013
    Out of curiosity, what browser are you guys using? Looks reasonably normal for me in Chromium

Edit: i accdentally an s
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2013
    I correctly see a dark background on those pages using IE, Firefox and Chrome. What browser (+version), OS and any plugins you guys running?

Ah, I am betting IE8 from this: http://browsershots.org/screenshots/9e3d9de51a13a0e8f281662d0eb830e5 ?
  • BlueDevilBlueDevil Join Date: 2009-10-05 Member: 68955Members
    Internet Explorer will always break some sites. IE9 fixes many bugs, but they are still behind all the other browsers.
    If you really want to use IE, upgrade to 9, otherwise I suggest you change browsers.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Yup, you guys are correct. The screenshot I posted was from IE8.
    I tried it on Google Chrome and it looks much better.

I really need to stop using IE.... #-o
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    edited February 2013
    and stop instant complaining :P:P
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Good point anyways. For some reason a lot of people still use IE, it would be preferable if some background could be added that is compatible with older browsers.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Sops wrote: »
    Good point anyways. For some reason a lot of people still use IE, it would be preferable if some background could be added that is compatible with older browsers.

As this page shows http://browsershots.org/http://forums.unknownworlds.com/categories only MSIE8 has the issue. 7, 6 and even 5.5 work fine. We'll look into a workaround for IE8 though.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    edited February 2013
    Mobile browser is much much better., all the categories and subsections are on an easy scroll screen. No need to click, then click again. Although the breadcrumb still doesn't let you get to subsections easily (not a problem on mobile browser when home shows you all but still that is the point of breadcrumbs!)

Yes I use ie8, at work and on xp. There are no alternatives. Not complaining just giving feedback in the feedback section.

So atm it is better (for me) to use phone...
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    kk20 wrote: »
    Mobile browser is much much better., all the categories and subsections are on an easy scroll screen. No need to click, then click again. Although the breadcrumb still doesn't let you get to subsections easily (not a problem on mobile browser when home shows you all but still that is the point of breadcrumbs!)

Yes I use ie8, at work and on xp. There are no alternatives. Not complaining just giving feedback in the feedback section.

So atm it is better (for me) to use phone...

If you are stuck with IE6-9 at work, you might be able to try using Chrome Frame for a more standards-based web experience.

This is just a general piece of advice, we will of course look into any IE8 issues.
    No can do. IE is the defacto with all plugins locked. I'll get a W7 machine here eventually, till then i'll read on my phone.