Should PG and IP pushback comeback?

LunosLunos Join Date: 2009-08-18 Member: 68518Members
Lately I've been frustrated by how easy it is for the Aliens to camp phasegates and IPs ever since the pushback was removed from the game. While it was highly annoying as an Alien, it just feels incredibly cheap as a Marine to appear then die instantly because four skulks just bit your ass before you could even respond. It makes phasing through to defend a location extremely dangerous with even one or two Aliens whacking the gate who don't even need to move most times, just sit and chomp where the Marines appear. If I had to choose between the lesser of two evils, I'd bring back pushback until some new system is devised.

Comments

• FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Add in telefragging.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    mm indeed i do wish there was a counter to egg locking as well because we die instantly
  • kala takikala taki Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148590Members
    edited January 2013
    Allow aliens to use pg again.

Put push back in for aliens if marines use PG, add push back for marines if aliens use PG.

Would help the EXO as a base defender, no need to go hunt aliens.

fixed?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2066811:date=Jan 26 2013, 02:28 AM:name=kala taki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kala taki @ Jan 26 2013, 02:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Allow aliens to use pg again.

Put push back in for aliens if marines use PG, add push back for marines if aliens use PG.

Would help the EXO as a base defender, no need to go hunt aliens.

fixed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    indeed, lets revert to NS1.03 :P

On a more serious not though... Well kinda...

It was funny doing a leap and then all of a sudden gain more speed because someone spanwed behind ya while in flight :P
  • Arkahm719Arkahm719 Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151988Members
    Yes it should go back it was stupid taking out for the reason they wanted to implement it better... why not keep it and still implement it better. the telefragging might work on ips, but since the pg is now a gate and not a pad it wouldnt make sense
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    i find the lack of pushback fine, marines should lose a lot of people trying to save a phase gate. i mean, it's instant reinforcements half the time, how do you propose aliens actually take back territory if you bring in pushback?
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    The old knockback wasn't really all that fun, and phasegates are still incredibly powerful even without it.

I do believe marines need a buff (certainly for pub play, though perhaps not for competitive) but this doesn't sound like the right buff.
  • CLARK_KENTCLARK_KENT Vancouver, Canada Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9508Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited January 2013
    There is a certain position that will allow a signle skulk to camp the exit of the PG such that any marines (whether single or multiple) cannot get out of the way, resulting in either getting chomped to death or phasing to another PG badly injured from the chomps. It's as if the marine gets "stuck"... and it doesn't matter whether or not it's one or more marines phasing. I've seen it done, and experienced it first hand, several times already. Been trying to figure out the exact skulk positioning myself, but I haven't found it yet.

I understand multiple aliens preventing marines from phasing in, but a single one stopping an entire beacon-PG rush? It doesn't seem to be fair.
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    Everyone asking for telefragging, do you really want to lose a 75 res onos just because you didn't watch your step when destroying a base?
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2066811:date=Jan 26 2013, 04:28 AM:name=kala taki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kala taki @ Jan 26 2013, 04:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Allow aliens to use pg again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This...

This sounds like...

SO MUCH FUN!

"SELL THE PHASEGATE SELL IT THE ONOSES ARE TELEPORTING INTO OUR BASE"
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The Meatgrinder is back.
    One fade in front of a PG is all that's needed to hard counter it, as the fade gets one free hit anyways before the marine's screen updates.

If you ask me, this is a huge contributor to marine losses currently. We saw it in alpha days and we see it again here.
    <b>The slow team cannot maintain their map control when the mechanic that allows them to do this can be hard countered by a single player. </b>
    At least in alpha days sentries were quasi useful to ward off a lone player blocking a PG.

Pushback isn't coming back though, as it allowed for some edge case exploits.
    But this doesn't mean a solution isn't being worked on. ;)
  • AshTraiAshTrai Join Date: 2003-04-27 Member: 15878Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The slow team cannot maintain their map control when the mechanic that allows them to do this can be hard countered by a single player.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I agree!

it is so annoying to be insta-gibbed the moment u step in to a pg
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    This and CLOSE STARTS are probably the majority of the marine losses over 50% you are experiencing.

I know close starts won't go, but I've whined enough to not stop whining now :)
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066878:date=Jan 26 2013, 06:11 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Jan 26 2013, 06:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This and CLOSE STARTS are probably the majority of the marine losses over 50% you are experiencing.

I know close starts won't go, but I've whined enough to not stop whining now :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've seen marines come out on top from a close spawn, once you know where they've spawned you can push all but 1-2 marines straight into their base...usually resulting in a short game regardless of the winner though (I say just after an hour long match on summit where marines started at sub-access & aliens at Flight Control - Marines won).

On topic though... I think PG's are fine as they are. If one is under attack and you go through first, your the bait. Draw their attention whilst reinforcements come through. If a Comm really wants it saving, he'll spam medkits down at the destination (resource permitting) so your not taken down in seconds. I don't remember knock back in NS1 (it's been a long time) but i can imagine it's both disorientating and annoying for aliens when taking down a PG is already tough without a big concentrated push.

I wouldn't object to some tweaks being made to IP's though.. Zerk rushes are a little too effective at the moment as a couple sat on an IP will destroy anything that spawns...prehaps a 1-2second invulnerability (or nano shield) on spawning but you can't shoot during this time.
  • AshTraiAshTrai Join Date: 2003-04-27 Member: 15878Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If one is under attack and you go through first, your the bait. Draw their attention whilst reinforcements come through.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->What game are u playing? The point is that the second u are ported to the pg under attack u are immediately killed. As said by ironhorse, it can be locked down by a single fade
    In addition, a few skulks munching on a pg will instantly land 1 hit on any marine the instant he teleports and insta-kill him. Since only 1 marine can phase through at one time, it's just a conveyer belt of free kills. This, i would assume, was the reason that the pushback was put in to begin with. It is a backwards step that it was removed but i can imagine that it could lead to exploitation/glitching, which is why it got pulled i guess.

I look forward to seeing what else UWE come up with.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    need another mechanism to stop the easy pg camp than pushback

heres a suggestion

0.5 sec invunerability + cannot attack for marines (think vortex)

MARINE pushback.. eg if marine collides with alien on phase, then the marine is the one that gets bumped (i think this is what's happening right now?)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I liked the pushback solution. However, I think teledamage (like 100 normal damage for each marine spawn or phase) would also work as a disincentive to camp.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066890:date=Jan 26 2013, 06:42 AM:name=AshTrai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AshTrai @ Jan 26 2013, 06:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What game are u playing? The point is that the second u are ported to the pg under attack u are immediately killed. As said by ironhorse, it can be locked down by a single fade<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've not experienced it quite like this... I've come through a PG to take an instant hit and death a second later...long enough to step forward (though i always jump forward after phasing). Certainly not experienced a single fade insta-killing me before i can begin moving, sure, before I've got myself orientated and started spraying my gun..but I've always managed to move an inch or two, far enough to step on any med kits the comm may have dropped.

Perhaps it is an issue. I simply haven't had it occur to me yet (except when the PG is being hit by 3-4 higher lifeforms simultaneously - which is fair enough in my mind)
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    The push back was good for a bandage, but if you jumped up and down inside the IP while biting and looking down or even randomly jumping around it you could get a stupid fast jumping speed that was pretty much impossible to hit when someone spawned.

I'll miss it, but it was a bit of an exploit.

I'm curious to see how the meat grinder is fixed. (Very apt name for it, too.)
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    You guys should really ask yourselves why it wasnt a problem in NS1.. And tbh while its annoying to get the free swipe on me, the pushback was far more frustrating as an alien.
  • kiba75kiba75 Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177584Members
    1 sec invisibility when you go through a pg, but cannot attack in that time? Gives you about enough time to move 1 meter in any direction around the pg which is still close enough for skulk to kill you, but at least you can make sense of your surroundings and whats going on and not die instantly. (when invisibility wears off, the marine should not be able to instantly start shooting, still has to do the "weapon switch" animation thing to balance more.
  • UzverUzver Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172632Members, Reinforced - Silver
    In my opinion it's should be an upgradeable feature like robotics factory to ARC robotics factory. You should upgrade each IP and PG if you want to get a knock back defence mechanism.
  • Lt.RealnessLt.Realness Join Date: 2004-03-17 Member: 27379Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066809:date=Jan 26 2013, 03:20 AM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 26 2013, 03:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Add in telefragging.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is so far the best solution although Aliens shouldn't get telefragged when they are close to the PG. There should be a certain distance such as standing directly in the PG before the teleporter can affect the player.
    <!--quoteo(post=2066956:date=Jan 26 2013, 09:39 PM:name=kiba75)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kiba75 @ Jan 26 2013, 09:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1 sec invisibility when you go through a pg, but cannot attack in that time? Gives you about enough time to move 1 meter in any direction around the pg which is still close enough for skulk to kill you, but at least you can make sense of your surroundings and whats going on and not die instantly. (when invisibility wears off, the marine should not be able to instantly start shooting, still has to do the "weapon switch" animation thing to balance more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How will that stop you from dying when the skulk is still blocking the phase you cant move
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Pushback should definitely come back!

Not even so much from the Marine standpoint. Especially as Alien it feels cheap to munch a Marine without him having any chance to do anything about it. Removal of pushback removed a skill mechanic for <b>both</b> teams and feels frustrating and cheap instead, for <b>both</b> teams.
    <!--quoteo(post=2066979:date=Jan 26 2013, 10:55 PM:name=hozz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hozz @ Jan 26 2013, 10:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066979"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Removal of pushback removed a skill mechanic for both teams and feels frustrating and cheap instead, for <b>both</b> teams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hardly removed any sort of skill
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Removal of the pushback was a good choice. Now they just need to fix marines randomly phasing behind the gate grinding aliens, instead of appearing inside the gate.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Just jump as soon as you get teleported. this mostly reslty in you getting off the pg and the kulks have at least to turn from the gate to bite you. Next marine coming through is not spawning into the meat gridner anymore...
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    Pushback was a horrible, but insanely funny mechanic. I still remember holding down my crouch as a Skulk, chewing on an IP, and getting thrown across the room. I could then walljump, gain incredible speed, and maintain it for as long as I held down the the crouch button.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066810:date=Jan 25 2013, 08:21 PM:name=Volcano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volcano @ Jan 25 2013, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066810"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->mm indeed i do wish there was a counter to egg locking as well because we die instantly<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is. It's called not allowing the marines to kill you to the point you lose.