Why is the obs a hard counter for the shade?

AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS!Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
<div class="IPBDescription">this needs to change.</div>we all know that the shade is essentially the most useless ability once the enemy discovers you are using it, and it is because the obs, quite frankly, is far too powerful. it needs to be nerfed one way or another.
Currently when you are cloaked in the range of a scan or an observatory, not only is your cloak disabled, but you become a shining target on your enemies screen! Discrimination!
My suggestion is as follows: make it so that or at least play around with the possibility of a scanner that doesn't disable cloaked objects, just makes them all blipped up. oh and, it wont make shade all mighty vs the scan, it actually wont change that, but it will take away the obs being a hard counter to the shade, which is a broken feature in my opinion, there should be NO hard counters, period.

Comments

• halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Except it's not a hard counter. It's an insanely expensive soft counter. Motion tracking was a hard counter.

Have you ever tried playing against a camo first alien team who use their camo to get behind the lines and bite all your RTs down? You either won't have any res to scan after a very short time if you're trying to push out, or you're stuck doing nothing but defending your first two RTs for a few minutes while aliens expand everywhere.

Camo makes games bland, no matter how they turn out. If anything, BUFF the obs.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    edited January 2013
    It counters the cloacked skulk but its not hardcounterd overall. The Marine-comm have to spend res on early extra-obs and scans. That will decrease thier tech alot. If he is not scanning any area , your skulks become so powerfull that they will win the most fights ( when your team isent full of greenies :> or full of sissys ala :"buhuuu we got a shade hive first the game is LOST!!! Impregnate me plz horny shifthive!"). In any way, aliens got the advantage in early game. Shadehive is funny! :>

As a marine I HATE those big ugly blue circles around a scanned target. It is decreasing my aiming a bit.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Someone fails to understand the meaning of the word "nerfed". See, nerfed implies that a weapon(although it has been used on other things) has been reduced in power so much, it is equivalent to the toy "nerf" gun.

So saying that the observatory should be nerfed is equivalent to saying it should be reduced to useless status. I think the word you were looking for was rebalanced.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066302:date=Jan 25 2013, 07:33 AM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Jan 25 2013, 07:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Someone fails to understand the meaning of the word "nerfed". See, nerfed implies that a weapon(although it has been used on other things) has been reduced in power so much, it is equivalent to the toy "nerf" gun.

So saying that the observatory should be nerfed is equivalent to saying it should be reduced to useless status. I think the word you were looking for was rebalanced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yet, the term isn't used as you define it. Nerfing is generally the opposing term to buffing...
    Also arguing semantics? Come on.

The mega patch coming out any day now is going to mix things up a lot, looking forward to how it affects shade play!