Honestly, will they ever make the game more smooth?

CenturionCenturion Join Date: 2005-07-15 Member: 55987Members
edited January 2013 in Technical Support
I know that they are using LUA, I've read a lot of the comments around here saying that you need a REALLY good computer to run the game smooth.

Seriously, I love NS, it was the first online multiplayer game I ever played and I have been playing it before the idea of Steam even existed and I'm loving NS2, but the performance of the game sucks.
When my friends ask me if the game is good and if they should buy it, I always say that it's a great game, but I also warn them about the performance.

And another thing is the fake system requirements on Steam, they should REALLY change that, it's bad for the reputation of the game. If someone with the required specs there buys the game they won't even be able to enjoy the game. I made some of my friends not buy the game, because I know they wouldn't enjoy playing it with low FPS.

It's a shame that such a good game has worst graphics than other games but runs much much worse.

So I would like to know the honest opinion of people that understand some things about programming or anything that helps: do you think that it's possible to improve the performance of the game using LUA? Or is every NS player now bound to buying a much better computer?

<b>TL;DR: Is it possible for UW to improve NS2's performance?</b>

Thanks for your attention.

Comments

• MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060454:date=Jan 14 2013, 10:21 AM:name=Centurion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Centurion @ Jan 14 2013, 10:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>TL;DR: Is it possible for UW to improve NS2's performance?</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, they've been doing it with most patches.

I been playing the Beta since (~2010) and since then it's made a huge leaps most noticeably in the past year.
  • StriderNS2StriderNS2 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060492:date=Jan 14 2013, 10:32 AM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Jan 14 2013, 10:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, they've been doing it with most patches.

I been playing the Beta since (~2010) and since then it's made a huge leaps most noticeably in the past year.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? I haven't noticed. The last supposed performance patch was 234 and that yielded nothing. I think we need a complete performance overhaul or an engine that's rewritten in C++. Or remove cysts from the game entirely. There's many factors contributing to the horrendous performance issues.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    What Strider said. None of the "performance patches" did anything for me. In fact, performance is worse now than it was like 10 builds ago.
    Well it seems to effect people differently for some reason. For me, my performance has almost always gone up with most patches.
    I used to average around ~20fps with real early builds and now I'm up to ~50fps.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    So you went from unplayable to unplayable? :D
    <!--quoteo(post=2060918:date=Jan 15 2013, 01:26 PM:name=halfofaheaven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (halfofaheaven @ Jan 15 2013, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060918"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you went from unplayable to unplayable? :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, I was always able to play.