Crashes around exos - I'm fed up.

HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited January 2013 in Technical Support
When I'm near exos, there's a 90% chance the game will crash for me, sooner or later. Sometimes it crashes within 5 minutes sometimes it doesn't at all.

It hardly ever happens when exos aren't involved (maybe never?!).

However, if I'm near exos, or I'm the exo, I can almost guarantee that the game will crash.

The crash is either with a "device lost" error if I'm using fullscreen (sound keeps playing and if I alt-tab out and in it resumes fine if it doesn't crash with the "engine has entereed a state form which it cannot recover"), or a "13% cpu/1300memory not responding in task manager lock (video and audio stops)" with fullscreen windowed.

I don't know how to reproduce this bug, except spam a lot of structures and get 5 exos shooting together late game. This is extremely annoying considering that the bug usually happens in the most critical moments when exos are right outside the hive or something, or I am the exo and I lose it because of the crash.

GTX 480, i7-920, Win7 x64, latest drivers.

It's been happening over and over. I am going to start avoiding being near exos until this is fixed, since the crash seems to be related to being near them somehow.

GPU and CPU are stable, I can play for hours sometimes, especially if there aren't exos in the games I'm playing.

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Please run TechSupport.exe in your NS2 directory after a crash and follow it's instructions. Thanks!
  • gileymangileyman Join Date: 2004-09-06 Member: 31432Members
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    It happened again tonight. I was the exo. I didn't submit a report because I was able to alt-tab out and in successfully though. Played for ~5 hours straight and the only crash was that one crash when I was an exo (there were other exos earlier as well, but it didn't crash around them).

I'm starting to pay more attention and there's something weird that happens when you start firing the guns on the exo. I can just feel the game "hitch" a tiny bit when the guns first start shooting (after the spin-up). It's a very slight, millisecond hitch, but it's just enough to be noticeable. I'm not even sure actually, but it feels like there's a tiny hitch when the guns start firing. That's when I've also noticed the crashing happening.

Guys, please please if you have some time take a look at the bullet particles especially at the beginning of exos shooting. I'm thinking it might be even related to the sound problem that others have reported elsewhere (abnormally high CPU usage from exos firing sound?)... or maybe not. I don't know. I'll keep exploring I guess.

If you're testing, please make sure that texture streaming is ON. Could it be that some texture is being loaded when exos start firing that overflows the available video memory? The rest of the game works perfectly well though, so I have no idea...
  • xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    It's sound fps hitch:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=126718" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=126718</a>

Snowball in readyroom have this same issue. Maybe all the crash you have, have something to do with the sound? You could try to uninstall sound drivers to play without sound and test if the game crash (yeah I know ridiculous :P).

To check fps spikes run profiler, you type <b>profile</b> in console and now: space key pause capturing, '[' ']' key moves you on history of captured frames.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    what xtal says is true, but we need to be sure that's what'shappening for you.
    also, how did you "crash" but still able to alt tab back in??
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    As mentioned in the OP, the game video stops but the sound keeps playing. "Device lost" errors are written in the log. If I alt-tab out of the game and back in (without it crashing with the "engine has entered a state from which it cannot recover") successfully, the game resumes and I can continue playing just fine.

I'm playing in fullscreen. In fullscreen windowed, if the crash occurs, it doesn't start working again on alt-tab, it's just frozen with 13% CPU and 1300mb memory usage.

I posted a log somewhere showing the "device lost" crap, when it happens again I'll repost it here.

Edit: This thread with an identical problem shows the error:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=126838" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=126838</a>

I'll post a full log of my own with code tags though, although it doesn't show anything more. Everything is perfectly normal except suddenly that line with the "device lost."

If I alt-tab out and in successfully, gameplay just resumes, no other errors or information.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    236 includes changes to how it handles sounds (Asynchronously now) and the Exo hitching that we were able to capture is now gone..
    sooo.. is this still occurring for you guys?

Also.. turn off texture streaming with that 480, heatsurge.. you dont need it and its experimental anyhow.(would like to rule it out )
    edited January 2013
    Okay, something new today:

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>Date: 01/16/13
    Time: 16:17:34
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 237
    Steam initialized
    Render Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 (9.18.13.1090)
    Sound Device: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi) stereo
    Record Device: Microphone (USB Audio Device)
    Error: gamestrings/esES.txt:263: Expected '='
    Error: gamestrings/itIT.txt:59: Expected '='
    Error: gamestrings/ruRU.txt:534: Expected '='
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 237
    Steam Id: 26900124
    Connecting to server 74.117.238.135:27015
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 237
    Steam Id: 26900124
    Connecting to server 108.174.48.253:27021
    Loading 'maps/ns2_docking.level'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'materials/descent/descent_floor_01_a.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'materials/descent/descent_floor_01_a.material'
    Building pathing mesh for level maps/ns2_docking.level
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_docking.level'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'models/.material'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/gorge/babbler_pheromone.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file ''
    Chat All - -|TBG|- HeatSurge: switching over laundry, literally 1 or 2 minutes dont kick pls.
    After 31362 minutes of play, you are no longer a Rookie!
    Chat Team 1 - Smitty: build obs in main
    Error: SoundEventInstance::SetPropertyFloat(unknown, 18=0.062374)): setValue(): An invalid parameter was passed to this function.
    Error: SoundEventInstance::SetPropertyFloat(unknown, 18=0.426874)): setValue(): An invalid parameter was passed to this function.
    Chat Team 1 - Smitty: shotguns and welders r done
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'normalMap' in material 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_holo_border.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'specularMap' in material 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_holo_border.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'normalMap' in material 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_holo_windows.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'specularMap' in material 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_holo_windows.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'normalMap' in material 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_holo_marine.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'specularMap' in material 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_holo_marine.material'
    Chat All - Swordstaind.j2: comm sissied out rush us
    Chat Team 1 - sK.Mr.wICKED: gg
    Chat All - sK.Mr.wICKED: gg
    Chat All - sK.Mr.wICKED: gg
    Chat All - Admin: rush ms
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'greebMap' in material 'cinematics/vfx_materials/fade_blink.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'circuitMap' in material 'cinematics/vfx_materials/fade_blink.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'greebMap' in material 'cinematics/vfx_materials/fade_blink.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'circuitMap' in material 'cinematics/vfx_materials/fade_blink.material'
    Chat All - |Scorpion: RANDOM
    Chat All - -|TBG|- HeatSurge: there you go, ammo problem solved.
    Chat All - fattacus: ?
    Error: SoundEventInstance::SetPropertyFloat(unknown, 18=0.051612)): setValue(): An invalid parameter was passed to this function.
    Error: SoundEventInstance::SetPropertyFloat(unknown, 18=0.303816)): setValue(): An invalid parameter was passed to this function.
    Warning: UpgradeAuraVeil did not define kTechIdToMaterialOffset
    Error: SoundEventInstance::SetPropertyFloat(unknown, 18=0.303816)): setValue(): An invalid parameter was passed to this function.
    ......... <SNIP FOR POST LENGTH>
    Chat Team 2 - foxeron: CHARGE
    Chat Team 2 - Myst: sorry, no idea why that was on
    Chat Team 2 - Myst: also, is there a map?
    Chat Team 2 - Myst: no idea where i am
    Chat Team 2 - Myst: ah, thanks
    Chat All - tenstrike`: BAAHAHA
    Chat All - tenstrike`: SAVIOR WELD
    Error: SoundEventInstance::SetPropertyFloat(unknown, 18=0.443257)): setValue(): An invalid parameter was passed to this function.
    Chat Team 2 - foxeron: add more whips
    Chat All - CooLxBeAN: gg
    Chat All - foxeron: gg
    Chat All - Free_Hat: gg
    Error: SoundEventInstance::SetPropertyFloat(unknown, 18=0.443257)): setValue(): An invalid parameter was passed to this function.
    Loading 'maps/ns2_refinery.level'
    Building pathing mesh for level maps/ns2_refinery.level
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_refinery.level'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/gorge/babbler_pheromone.cinematic'
    Chat All - Chloe-MGC: later all
    Chat All - Apple: Cya
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'normalMap' in material 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_holo_border.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'specularMap' in material 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_holo_border.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'normalMap' in material 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_holo_windows.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'specularMap' in material 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_holo_windows.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'normalMap' in material 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_holo_marine.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'specularMap' in material 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_holo_marine.material'
    Chat Team 1 - tenstrike`: we need to wait for pg in pipe
    Chat Team 1 - tenstrike`: hold extractiong down there
    Chat Team 1 - tenstrike`: when pg is up place in pipe
    Chat Team 1 - tenstrike`: theyre rushing pip
    Chat Team 1 - tenstrike`: 4
    Chat Team 1 - Myst: sorry, do what now?
    Chat Team 1 - wireless_caller: wep
    Chat Team 1 - aYos: a YOS and sure
    Error: SoundEventInstance::SetPropertyFloat(unknown, 18=0.266647)): setValue(): An invalid parameter was passed to this function.
    Chat Team 1 - XPEHBAM: drop armory in conduit
    Error: SoundEventInstance::SetPropertyFloat(unknown, 18=0.266647)): setValue(): An invalid parameter was passed to this function.
    Chat All - aYos: nt
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateTexture(1024x512, 11, D3DFMT_DXT5) failed (Device lost)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refining/refining_wallmods_01_spec.dds'
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateTexture(1024x1024, 11, D3DFMT_DXT1) failed (Device lost)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_lavabridge_objects_01.dds'
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::Reset to 1920x1080 failed (Invalid call)
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Resource 72d0ead0
    Resource 70c45320
    Error: The engine is in a state from which it can not recover.
    Restart the application to continue.
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    Error: 2 memory leaks in 'Client' (184 bytes)
    Error: 2 memory leaks in 'Engine' (184 bytes)</div>

This happened while I was shooting a flamethrower... gonna turn off texture streaming to make sure I guess. Long loading times here I come.

Edit: By the way, I caused the "engine is in a state bla bla" error by attempting to alt-tab. I'm assuming if I had left it alone, it would've just kept looping the "Reset to 1920x1080 failed" error.

<!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro--><sup>Changed code to codebox. -Angelusz</sup><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    For me build 236 fixed sound hitch described here <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=126718" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=126718</a>
    edited January 2013
    Yes, the sound hitch is fixed, I can confirm that as well. Will post log if I crash again though. It seems like someone added an option for the game to reintialize the display when it crashes with "device lost" but it doesn't seem to be working xD .

On the positive side, I'm somehow seeing amazing loading performance improvements, so turning off texture streaming still loads decently fast which makes me happy.

I'll post if/when I crash again.