Crash, crash

PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
edited December 2012 in Technical Support
<div class="IPBDescription">fantastic build 235</div>I have no idea what you did guys, but Build 235 is crashing so much, i never had so much crashes per day with the whole alpha...

The only error i got in the log is :
<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Error: Couldn't open file ''
Error: Couldn't open file ''
Error: Couldn't open file ''<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
then chat messages and thats it.

Really, awesome, i love it to have a great game and the game freezes...
Ctrl+alt+del and taskmanager show me the game has 1GB of usage.
If i end the ns2 process the whole system run fine again, so im sure it's the game, every other game runs fine.
Temperatures are fine too, not over 50°C GPU and 40°C.
I got 8GB ram and windows 7, the last builds were way better.

EDIT:
no new software installed, everything is the same it was in the last builds, only the game changed.

Comments

• MrCoalaMrCoala Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175378Members
    Same for me, the game is crashing the whole day its nearly unplayable.

Reconnecting doesnt work immediately since i get an authentication failure. If there wont be a fix asap i will try to get my money back.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Both the "Error: Couldn't open file ''" message and the game using up to 1Gb (usually around 1,2Gb) aren't the issue here. The error are just files that are excluded from the public Steam build and on Medium and High quality the game will eat up to 1-1,2Gb of memory.

Seeing and hearing about all these crashes makes me worry, but if we can't reproduce the crashes reliably the devs will be lacking data. Other then the changes between 234 and 235 I guess :(
    I do understand that from a developer point of view it is hard to spot such faults but tbh we paid for a game and we simply want to play it.
    Dont get me wrong i love ns2 and i would love to play it but the constant crashes are preventing that for me.
    It is very depressing having constant crashes; slot gone, authentication failure, res gone..

So its up to developers to do something.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2051489:date=Dec 26 2012, 08:38 PM:name=MrCoala)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrCoala @ Dec 26 2012, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do understand that from a developer point of view it is hard to spot such faults but tbh we paid for a game and we simply want to play it.
    Dont get me wrong i love ns2 and i would love to play it but the constant crashes are preventing that for me.
    It is very depressing having constant crashes; slot gone, authentication failure, res gone..

So its up to developers to do something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I know it is quite frustrating, but the you can be certain the devs are on top of this. Its just that there are so many systems out there, all with different problems it just will take time to get most of the issues out of the way...
    edited December 2012
    Hopefully they will get stuff sorted soon, i just encountered my crash no. 13 for today with following error:

Runtime Error!

C...

R6025
    - pure virtual function call
  • 3Lollipopz3Lollipopz Join Date: 2012-12-28 Member: 176522Members
    I too have a similar issue.
    Most of the files I am missing are sound files; ambient and specific.

So when a new object comes into play (new weapon, exo spins up, flamer, axe on an alien object) the game will pause for .2 of a second, resulting in an error: cannot open file "" in the logs.

I'll gather some more logs and post back, but damn it's annoying....

Lastly, crash happens as well, but just fills log with cannot open file, appears to loop indefinitely and I have to task manager kill (alt-tab does not work / win7)

time to gather some more logs for you all :)

Cheers
    Lollipopz Three.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Same deal here, just crashed out of a game as I was about to onos down the main power again and end an exo rush into our last 2 hives.

I've never crashed until 235 and since 235 I've crashed about 50 times. Everything is on low, nothing is modified the game apparently can't open it's own ######ing files for me either and it decides to crash. I can reproduce the crashes quite reliably, about once every two or three hours of NS will freeze and force me to shut it down via task manager and I can't re connect because of authentication.

I saw these threads a week ago and thought "well it's only happened 15-20 times so far" but now it's getting frustrating/ridiculous.
  • ZyferZyfer Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176791Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2051519:date=Dec 26 2012, 10:48 PM:name=MrCoala)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrCoala @ Dec 26 2012, 10:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hopefully they will get stuff sorted soon, i just encountered my crash no. 13 for today with following error:

Runtime Error!

C...

R6025
    - pure virtual function call<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i had this error in Battlefield 2 but it was the only crash i got several times so if you only had it once nvm.

R6025 C++ error is a really tricky one, i think i installed a 3rd party like xfire or fraps, the thing for me was that it destroyed that C++ and i tried reinstalling C++ redistributable and it didnt work, i wasnt sure at that time what it was so i went with the reinstall.

All i can say if you have had 13 of them is that you will have it forever in NS2 no matter what they do unless you reinstall your pc, thats what i had to do to fix it for Battlefield 2 and it was so weird because it was only that game, atleast its fixable.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    You say you are missing files, have you tried verifying your game cache?
    I have not had any issues with missing files, or crashing, so it might actually solve your problems.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Try verifying your NS2 Stream cache. If that does not help, try deleting NS2, than going to your C:/Users/YOURNAMEHERE/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2 folder and deleting everything in there as well.

Then completely re-download NS2. Sometimes verifying doesn't work very well and sometimes junk in the Roaming folder screws things up.
  • wootwoot Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26556Members
    Same thing here, very annoying, since the new build.

Reinstalled NS2, reinstalled graphics card and mobo drivers, still no improvement.

No complaints with performance apart from this.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Ok, once you guys crash do <b>NOT </b>launch NS2.exe - run <b>TechSupport.exe</b> in your NS2 directory and follow it's instructions. Hopefully this will help catch what's crashing so many people.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have problems with NS2 just freezing.. game is running fine then everything stops, alt-tab and its maxing out a single core. Game doesnt seem to ever crash I just have to end-task NS2.
  • Scorpion571Scorpion571 Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9800Members
    Same here. I hope this gets fixed soon.