When Is A New Map Going To Be Released

rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">huehuehueh</div>Just wondering: the game (according to me) is in a great spot as of now.

> Influx of new players from the sale
> Most major bugs with the game have been patched
> Performance is now decent (obviously it will continue to improve)
> Balance is in a good place now, Aliens are winning under 60% of matches now and game seems to be quite even

I know making a whole new map takes some time, but I can't believe something isn't in the pipe at some stage. Can someone from UWE comment on possibly when we might see something new?

Btw you UWE guys are way better at keeping in touch with your community than most. I was quite active in the CSGO beta over the last year and I have to say, Valve had some of the worst community outreach I have ever witnessed.

- unresponsive to continuous feedback on the same issues (no fog, need sprays, etc etc)
- Ignoring most of the community desires
- Outing a game that was nowhere near ready or what the community wanted (After their statement "we will release the game when the community says it's ready")

At least they payed for it with abysmal player numbers, CSGO gets less than half the daily players of 1.6(50k) and still 15K+ less than Source(35k) with a mere 20k. That's what happens. 20k for a new valve title sucks.

It was almost weird for me at first to see staff members posting in the forums like regular users. And you guys have a significantly smaller staff than Valve.

Comments

• ZaphrousZaphrous Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165462Members
    There is a map editor and a few nice maps by the community. Jambi, and Caged are 2 i played which were pretty good.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    They have already stated a few times that they hope for the next map, Descent, to be released as part of the larger content update in January.

And like Zaphrous said, go check out the workshop. There are some pretty darn good maps on there already.
  • kalvkalv Join Date: 2004-09-04 Member: 31339Members
    I feel like the developers are lazy. They are just relying on steam workshop to add all the new content and maps. Like 98% of the servers are running the default map rotation. I'm getting bored of them.
  • kais_4kais_4 Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157127Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2049383:date=Dec 22 2012, 05:57 AM:name=kalv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalv @ Dec 22 2012, 05:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel like the developers are lazy. They are just relying on steam workshop to add all the new content and maps. Like 98% of the servers are running the default map rotation. I'm getting bored of them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You clearly haven't seen what the developers have done over the last few years... lazy?? PPPPPPPPPPLEase!! :P
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049383:date=Dec 21 2012, 11:27 AM:name=kalv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalv @ Dec 21 2012, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel like the developers are lazy. They are just relying on steam workshop to add all the new content and maps. Like 98% of the servers are running the default map rotation. I'm getting bored of them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unknown Worlds does map tests twice a week
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2049383:date=Dec 21 2012, 01:27 PM:name=kalv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalv @ Dec 21 2012, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel like the developers are lazy. They are just relying on steam workshop to add all the new content and maps. Like 98% of the servers are running the default map rotation. I'm getting bored of them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You do realize that maps take MONTHS and months of work to create right? and on top of that NS2 mapping has some of the more complex balance requirements I've seen in games.

That said they are working on an entirely new art set I believe, which is something that again, takes<b> months </b>to create. And as others above me have stated, the workshop is a great place to find community made maps, but they are certainly not "relying" on it. They have always been working hard on new maps and art sets through out the beta and they continue to do so.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2049383:date=Dec 21 2012, 08:27 PM:name=kalv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalv @ Dec 21 2012, 08:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel like the developers are lazy. They are just relying on steam workshop to add all the new content and maps. Like 98% of the servers are running the default map rotation. I'm getting bored of them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sorry that your opinion is based of being uninformed. Descent, a new map that has been in development for around a year or more is getting pretty close and has been playtested for months. Oh and you must have missed their announcement of a big content patch with that sometime in the new year with new abilites and tech.

I would suggest you keep up by reading their twitter account.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049395:date=Dec 21 2012, 02:50 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Dec 21 2012, 02:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049395"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sorry that your opinion is based of being uninformed. Descent, a new map that has been in development for around a year or more is getting pretty close and has been playtested for months. Oh and you must have missed their announcement of a big content patch with that sometime in the new year with new abilites and tech.

I would suggest you keep up by reading their twitter account.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Has there been any hints as to what the map currently looks like?
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    One Community member made ns2_cage
    a remake of an NS1 map.
    He said he had to make many adjustments to fit into NS2.
    And that it will take him 6 months up to A YEAR to completly model, "paint" and balance this map.
    Making maps is not easy.

They are updating current maps regularly, because of imbalance, too.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The usual map development time is around ~1+ years (depending on the mappers speed :P) And the fact that it needs playtesting and bugtesting all the time with each change only adds up to the dev time... It's funny seeing random people on the internet come on here and talk about how easy it is to create a map that is balanced and fun to play and good looking...
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2049383:date=Dec 21 2012, 03:27 PM:name=kalv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalv @ Dec 21 2012, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel like the developers are lazy. They are just relying on steam workshop to add all the new content and maps. Like 98% of the servers are running the default map rotation. I'm getting bored of them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lel. are you a mapper? cause i bet you couldn't even make a box map in the editor.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited December 2012
    Well, this has been pretty well covered by other people in this thread now, but, Descent, a very cool new map, will be released with the big content update, which we are hoping to get out by the end of January. As stated by other people here, maps are a huge amount of work, and very time consuming to create, playtest, revise, and playtest, etc. On the visual side, we want to have each map look very visually distinct from each other, and that requires a large amount of concept art and new art assets -- props/textures/skyboxes, etc. We'll probably be giving releasing some glimpses at Descent early in the new year.

Also, Descent is not the only map that is in development internally, but it is the furthest along.

--Cory
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I want to know how far along Biodome is, Im very excited for that map! Also whos make the maps in the office?
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049477:date=Dec 21 2012, 05:02 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Dec 21 2012, 05:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049477"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, Descent is not the only map that is in development internally, but it is the furthest along.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What's the theme of descent? I think I heard one of you guys saying it was like some kind of space traveling center or space elevator of sorts.
  • umphreyumphrey Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165280Members
    I'm hoping the community gets some maps going with less than standard map configurations. The mapping tutorial has some interesting concepts involving 6-7 tech points with very different layouts which I would like to try.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2049490:date=Dec 21 2012, 05:12 PM:name=YMICrazy502)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YMICrazy502 @ Dec 21 2012, 05:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049490"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's the theme of descent? I think I heard one of you guys saying it was like some kind of space traveling center or space elevator of sorts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its clean like Docking
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2049490:date=Dec 21 2012, 03:12 PM:name=YMICrazy502)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YMICrazy502 @ Dec 21 2012, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049490"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's the theme of descent? I think I heard one of you guys saying it was like some kind of space traveling center or space elevator of sorts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From the concept art I have seen, it is a space station theme. Basically, the first map not set on a planet.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    turtle triad Goliath (when it is done) and yakushima is all i want and will need, ever, in maps. maybe plant.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2049486:date=Dec 21 2012, 10:09 PM:name=killer monkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (killer monkey @ Dec 21 2012, 10:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I want to know how far along Biodome is, Im very excited for that map! Also whos make the maps in the office?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Biodome is in the early layout and greybox stages, and some art assets are being created based off some of the concept art.
    <!--quoteo(post=2049490:date=Dec 21 2012, 10:12 PM:name=YMICrazy502)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YMICrazy502 @ Dec 21 2012, 10:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049490"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's the theme of descent? I think I heard one of you guys saying it was like some kind of space traveling center or space elevator of sorts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Descent is a space station map.

--Cory
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    edited December 2012
    Finally, a space station map! That's what we space marines want!

Also, I know it's never going to happen, but Leap in Zero G. Or, or Leap on a "Halo" space station that uses centrifugal force, like in 2001 Space Odyssey. Imagine commanding on a space station like that.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    is eclipse still under development?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I once tried to make a box in the editor and ended up with an ungodly combination of garbled polygons.

I wish I were more clever.
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    I love the concept of the new maps! Keep up the good work guys, ns2 is getting better with each update :)
    <!--quoteo(post=2049851:date=Dec 22 2012, 12:58 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Dec 22 2012, 12:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->is eclipse still under development?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats not official, its a community map.
  • MangoManMangoMan Join Date: 2003-12-28 Member: 24813Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049373:date=Dec 21 2012, 02:14 PM:name=rmbrown09)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rmbrown09 @ Dec 21 2012, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049373"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just wondering: the game (according to me) is in a great spot as of now.

> Performance is now decent (obviously it will continue to improve)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure hope it does
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    I know this is mostly about mapping, and I do agree map design is probably harder in NS2 than any other title I've ever played except for perhaps games with completely destructible environments. (God I bet that's a headache for 'balance'. 0.o)

I did want to say one other thing:

GORGE TUNNELS!?! NEW MAPS!?!

Yes please.