[Release] ns2_Jambi

Comments

• LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I'll let you think about what you could say then.
    There is a difference between being passionate, and posting harsh feedback without any real constructive critisism.
    You are not from Europe.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I don't understand the Europe part.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    Mendasp wrote: »
    I don't understand the Europe part.
    Yes was unnecessary and I was making assumptions. My b.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    edited March 2013
    Really love this map, glad you are putting so much work into getting it nice and polished, thanks a lot for your efforts!

I see this was reported already but you didn't respond so maybe you missed it - ARCs can drive straight through the walls that form the 'vent' between Skylights and Exit C. This is completely counter-intuitive and really has to be fixed, they literally drive though 2 solid walls, so aliens are taken completely (and unfairly) by surprise.

It also seems pretty controversial that you can cyst and put alien structures in there, seeing as there's no way for marines to get to them without jetpacks or ARCs, but that's not such a big deal as the ARCs driving through there. I think on balance if you have to allow both (ARCs and cysts) or neither, it has to be neither.

Also, see here for a soul-destroying stuck spot in gravity:

• BrawBraw Join Date: 2008-03-21 Member: 63920Members, Constellation
    The fact that you can cyst through the vent was an intended "feature" to make Electrical a more viable expansion (when starting in Pipe). However, the ARC-part was not intended and has to be fixed. Unfortunately it seems ARCS and Cysts share the same navigation pattern, so you can't have one but not the other.

Thus both options has to be removed. Should be a very quick & easy fix though.
    Thanks to Braw, everything has been patched plus some other balance fixes to organ.
    edited March 2013
    Couldn't you just put an obstacle against each wall in that 'vent' to stop ARCs going through, something that you could still cyst around?
    Couldn't you just put an obstacle against each wall in that 'vent' to stop ARCs going through, something that you could still cyst around?

No. If you can cyst through it, then the arcs will move through anything.
    OK, I thought it might be possible to leave a gap big enough to cyst through but not fit an ARC, guess not.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Played this in our NSL match a few days ago, enjoyed it and looking forward to playing more of it. A few points that I can think of right now. Migh edit.

Cysts, meds and ammo fall through the grates in Transfer next to Pipeline.
    Don't understand the purpose of any of the rooms below Baywing.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I got stuck in the RT in Waste, while building it, just adding CollisionGeometry to it so it's level with the rest of the floor would fix it :P
    Jekt wrote: »
    Played this in our NSL match a few days ago, enjoyed it and looking forward to playing more of it. A few points that I can think of right now. Migh edit.

Cysts, meds and ammo fall through the grates in Transfer next to Pipeline.
    Don't understand the purpose of any of the rooms below Baywing.

This was a community map with no grey-box testing. If you have any ideas, I am happy to hear them. Glad you like the map tho!
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    My suggestion is remove the rooms that don't fill any function.
    wiry wrote: »
    My suggestion is remove the rooms that don't fill any function.

Being as this was a community project, I simply cannot remove a bunch of rooms. I would feel terrible for the author who made them :\
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Use them for another community map.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Well, I guess you have to move some stuff around and try to incorporate them in a way that they aren't obsolete.

But in all honesty, the map is pretty damn big, and you have rooms that serve no purpose..

Cut those rooms, glue them together and redo the readyroom. :P
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I think jambi could be worth playing with fixes to issues that have come up:

- Oxygenation doorways can be fully blocked by single armories. Not even a skulk can fit past.

- Organ and Oxygenation are too easy to harrass back and forth. The only fix to this is to remove the Organ -> Gravity.

- Pipeworks is hard to cyst out of. Also, the room is confusing when you first spawn. It is difficult to determine what direction you're facing without opening your map.

- The powernode for Organ needs to be moved into the room with the RT.

- Organ is hard to flank from Pipeworks spawn. You basically have to run all the way to Oxygen and go through the vent, or run out through X and around. I suggest adding a vent from Organ to the northern exit of Pipeworks.

- Pipeworks siege from Organ: it is difficult to place the ARCs because the truss is in the ideal spot. Either remove the truss (creates LoS issues) or move the truss closer to the current power node location.

- Waste siege from Bay Wing: the alcove needs to be removed.

- Bay Wing RT needs to be moved. I don't know where to, or how to fix that room if you decide to leave the RT there.

- Stuck spot on Waste RT in the NE corner when you build it. Another one in Skylights on the corner closest to Organ. I'll try to grab screenshots.

Overall, Jambi has the potential to be a decent map. Don't be afraid to cut rooms that don't add anything, or to modify other people's rooms if that's what it takes to make it better.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Golden wrote: »

- Pipeworks is hard to cyst out of. Also, the room is confusing when you first spawn. It is difficult to determine what direction you're facing without opening your map.

- The powernode for Organ needs to be moved into the room with the RT.

For point one, you used to be able to cyst through that weird vent in exit C but the arcs would drive straight through the wall and into the vent, because spark engine is spark engine -_-

I completely agree about the Organ powernode though, the location is very unintuitive.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    For point one, you used to be able to cyst through that weird vent in exit C but the arcs would drive straight through the wall and into the vent, because spark engine is spark engine -_-

I completely agree about the Organ powernode though, the location is very unintuitive.

I mean the room itself is hard to cyst out of. Now that I think of it, Electrical Core is a pain to cyst into.
    Started on the changes to Bay wing. Waste can no longer be arced, and the room is more onos friendly. I am going to do some greybox testing before I texture it. Sadly it won't be ready for this week.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    R.I.P. old bay wing, I shall miss the ez siege spot when I'm commanding xD

just don't get rid of the smoking room. or at least harvest those plants first... o_O
    R.I.P. old bay wing, I shall miss the ez siege spot when I'm commanding xD

just don't get rid of the smoking room. or at least harvest those plants first... o_O

its gone, will be relocating to the ready room

edited April 2013
    New Update:

-New Bay Wing
    -Added vent from Organ -> Pipe
    -Removed hallway gravity > Offload
    -Added vent Gravity > Offload
    -Moved Shipping's RT -> repair room
    -Change Security's entrance to enhance performance with better occlusion
    -Pipeworks is now WAY MORE cyst friendly
    -Stuck spots fixed

Qt0ortR.jpg
    4ztCaWV.jpg
    kaTQSS1.jpg
    McN1htY.jpg
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    I just get unable to find ns2gamerules spam in server console when trying to run the map.

I know ns2 integration with steam workshop is the biggest pos out, but do you know a way to get around this?

edit: Ah, the mod is failing to download in the first place. Error 28. Wonderful.
    edit: Fixed after 8 or so server restarts.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Had a 3on3 on Jambi just now, so not anything to test it properly, but we dropped a Phasegate that ended up inside a pillar in Bay Wing:

7VRmTh8.jpg
    Haven't played it yet, but from looking at the map the changes seem pretty legit.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Nice map.. I will hopefully play it more often.
    Found a weird bug I think.

There is a hole in the wall, a sort of window or gap.
    Now the actual gap is smaller. So when you shoot in the middle you can shoot through, if you shoot more to the sides, you hit a invisible wall.
    I opened the map to help you find the spot.

Nice map.. I will hopefully play it more often.
    Found a weird bug I think.

There is a hole in the wall, a sort of window or gap.
    Now the actual gap is smaller. So when you shoot in the middle you can shoot through, if you shoot more to the sides, you hit a invisible wall.
    I opened the map to help you find the spot.

Blame the prop for that one. I am actually shutting that door, and creating an underground vent. So this won't really be an issue.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    That was a prop? seemed part of the wall. hehehe

Anywayz, you are informed. im happy. :)
    Update 6: 
    Porting the mod to new workshop 
    -Moved Pub to supply for an EC expansion rt and aliens can take down the res easier 
    -Removed the little hole in gravity TP to boost performance from an occlusion error 
    -REFLECTION PROBES