I would say without any hesitation, that roughly 50% or more of my bullets as marine do not register

2»

Comments

• SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    edited December 2012
    sometimes hit reg seems solid...sometimes it seems totally off.
    e.g. I saw a camping skulk around the corner (his leg) and shot it...but didnt inflict any damage. very often I see blood but no dmg is done.
    today a shotgun blast went right through an onos.
    and you still miss half the shots agaisnt a twitching harvester.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2043499:date=Dec 11 2012, 06:52 AM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Dec 11 2012, 06:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043499"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, the problem is that the higher ping always wins. Sharpshooter classes can shoot you around walls and such if they're lagging but you aren't for example.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If they had a lower ping, you would simply have been dead earlier. Higher ping is not an advantage in any way.
  • Kama_BlueKama_Blue Join Date: 2012-03-13 Member: 148710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043633:date=Dec 11 2012, 08:05 AM:name=Techpunk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techpunk @ Dec 11 2012, 08:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For me this is much more related to bad fps. As a marine when shooting a skulk my fps has a crazy drop from 60 fps to something around 19-25, and skulks become super saiyans with power over 9000 who's moviments I cant see.

Not to mention these are my specs.

i7 2670qm 2.2 ghz snd Gen
    6gb ram
    Geforce GT 555m

What helps a bit is lowering my resolution to awful 800x600 and turning off the AA and all the rest.
    And dont even think about getting that fancy infestation going on, my pc almost choked when they implemented that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I uhh... i think that's a huge problem on your end and not on the game.
    I have an FX6100, a 560TI and 8gb Ram and i run the game at 60 fps on highest settings at 1980x1020 resolution.

I would suggest for anyone having ######ty performance, you look up how to do a complete wipe and clean install of video drivers. I mean everything, registry values, all video card drivers, everything.

I did that and it improved performance on a game i was playing from a ######ty 10 fps, to a glorious 70, it's probably a driver issue on your end.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2043685:date=Dec 11 2012, 06:47 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Dec 11 2012, 06:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If they had a lower ping, you would simply have been dead earlier. Higher ping is not an advantage in any way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Depends on how you play. If you are high ping, your area-of-vulnerability will trail behind you all the time - or in other words, the point where you attack will be ahead of where you can be hurt. If you had 2 seconds latency, you would be incredible on the attack, being able to run into a room and get two seconds worth of free attacks on the defenders before they could see you entering the room - IF they don't manage to kill you before your kill-attacks arrive at the server ('cause if you are dead, the server stops processing your input, and what you thought was killing attacks turns out to be in just your dreams).

On the defence, you would die before you even saw the enemy.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2043561:date=Dec 11 2012, 02:12 PM:name=Roobubba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roobubba @ Dec 11 2012, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043561"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This

I've lost count of the number of times I've been killed by high ping players after I'm miles around a corner that they absolutely definitely can not see around. As a low pinger, you're at the disadvantage of thinking they aren't shooting at you: in reality, they aren't shooting at you yet, because they don't see you yet. That assumption that because they're not shooting, they're not shooting, is false. That's what gets me killed more often than not!!

Roo<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->This is not entirely true, I've seen it also happen on 30ms vs 30ms, so there is a much bigger issue behind that around corner shooting

And with "happen" I mean that I've been shot as a Skulk/Lerk/Fade moving very fast when I was around 4-5 meters around a corner. But I've also seen it happen with me shooting at a target that was already around a corner for a 1/2 seconds (4-5meters) and still get the kill shot.

The fast moving creatures I mentioned are very susceptible to this around the corner shooting. And this isn't a hitreg issue I know, but it is annoying as hell. Especially considering the very low latencies involved... And I personally get~50-60FPS constantly throughout a round, I've not seen these targets I shoot at have low FPS issues either (the obvious warping issues low FPS players tend to have)

I have noticed dead on shots not registering though and combined with the issue I mentioned it becomes clear that as of 227, "something" is clearly wrong. It is behaving very weird as of 227 (v1.0 release).

There is a thing I've noticed alongside this though as a marine. If I move in strafing patterns the hitreg is worse (ie:jetpack). If I stand still and shoot at moving targets the hitreg is a bit better, the same goes for when chasing a target, with me moving in a straight line after it.

I just don't like to stand still or move in obvious patterns/straight lines, in a game where your kneecaps are forfeit!!!
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    why are people complaining about hit reg? they cannot aim clearly, i never had ONE instance where i said BAD HIT REG, there is some very RARE times where there is a problem but that could of been cause i had choke go up or something other then that hit reg for me is perfect

please if you think you have bad hit reg, show a video in slow motion and show us how good your aim is and how bad your hit reg is, chances are when you see your aim in slow motion you will not post it cause your aim is probably bad
  • yakcyllyakcyll Join Date: 2012-12-02 Member: 173965Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043729:date=Dec 11 2012, 07:58 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 11 2012, 07:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043729"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is a thing I've noticed alongside this though as a marine. If I move in strafing patterns the hitreg is worse (ie:jetpack). If I stand still and shoot at moving targets the hitreg is a bit better, the same goes for when chasing a target, with me moving in a straight line after it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No experienced dev insight here, but that sounds a lot like the hitreg is based on analyzing bullet tracers, which, if the hitboxes match the models' wireframes to a great extent, is bound to be highly complicated performance-wise and optimizing it while sticking to this scheme is going to be painful. Linux support and better rigs from server providers might mitigate the issues to some extent, but then again, personally I've seen games handling this issue in other ways, so I'm curious as to how UWE approach the issue.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2043755:date=Dec 11 2012, 07:37 PM:name=Sharp-Shooter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sharp-Shooter @ Dec 11 2012, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043755"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why are people complaining about hit reg? they cannot aim clearly, i never had ONE instance where i said BAD HIT REG, there is some very RARE times where there is a problem but that could of been cause i had choke go up or something other then that hit reg for me is perfect

please if you think you have bad hit reg, show a video in slow motion and show us how good your aim is and how bad your hit reg is, chances are when you see your aim in slow motion you will not post it cause your aim is probably bad<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It has nothing to do with aim when it is very clear that bullets which are dead on target only show client side predicted blood but don't damage the enemy. And this isn't just related to marines. Aliens also have issues where you have the crosshair on the model and it shows the bloodsplat FX but doesn't register as a hit. And the -75 damage indicator for Skulks that show -25 when the marine is clearly in the middle of the screen when biting down, which could in rare cases result in -50 damage. But if it shows -25 (edge off screen damage), then it becomes obvious there are issues.
  • LucianLucian Join Date: 2004-01-09 Member: 25193Members, Constellation
    Although I haven't tested it, it's possible there's a small delay between when the player fires a weapon and the actual hit detection occurs. This might explain what Kouji_San observed while strafing.

As for the around-the-corner shooting, I'm not sure. Maybe there's bullet ricochet?
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043556:date=Dec 11 2012, 08:59 AM:name=Kama_Blue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kama_Blue @ Dec 11 2012, 08:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043556"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's false, but it also shows pretty clearly you have the hitreg problem and are having serious problems making the LMG viable against a fade. Personally i can't make the shotgun deal more than 100 damage against most lifeforms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's actually pseudo intended behavior. Although there's a glitch related to it as well...

The shotgun spread is WIDE. In order to sink more than 102 (at weapons level 0) damage you need to hit 7 or more pellets. It's VERY difficult to hit that many pellets in most cases. 5 is the most I find to be commonly reproducible.

Ok, so you should be able to wait for things to get really close, and then shoot them when they fill your screen, right?

It seems like the projectile origins of the shotgun pellets are about two feet or so in front of your model, so if skulks or fades do that wonderful thing where they headbutt you at 100 miles and hour, and halfway clip through your model, then their hitbox is probably too close for your damage vectors to register a hit on them.

This is also one of the reasons it's very inconsistent scoring hits on RTs. If you're too close or too far you start getting misses.