Would it be more fair if camo could be heard?

sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
A lot of people think camo is a little OP at the moment. Do you think it would be more fair if you could hear, maybe not at full volume, the pitter patter of skulk feet? I mean, you still can't see them at all as they move, but it just seems like such a huge advantage if the first time you notice a skulk is when your knee is gone.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    A lot of people may think that, but camo isn't op at all, not if you have a good commander that will use his scans properly anyway.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>sharnrock:</b></u>

Camo is a huge risk for aliens. . .

Once marines find out they have it all they need to do is get into one giant ball and go attack the hive for an egg lock

2 Scans is usually all that is needed and any extra money goes to a forward armory and mines
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    would be interesting to try.

Personally i'd like to see scan energy come back first.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038346:date=Dec 1 2012, 10:26 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Dec 1 2012, 10:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->would be interesting to try.

Personally i'd like to see scan energy come back first.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    agreed
  • ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    edited December 2012
    I don't think adding noise would help much for pubs, which I assume is what you're talking about. I may or may not tend to spam laugh as I close in for the kill with camo. It let's them know I'm there but they can't pinpoint where I'm at so I still kill them anyway.

Scans completely shut down camo making it useless. Just ask comm for a scan every now and then if he's not doing it without being asked.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038349:date=Dec 1 2012, 09:46 AM:name=Shrimm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shrimm @ Dec 1 2012, 09:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Scans completely shut down camo making it useless. Just ask comm for a scan every now and then if he's not doing it without being asked.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sometimes I think it would be easier to put socks on a cat.

I think just knowing a skulk is near, makes it a little bit better. Rather than all of a sudden: chomp, chomp, ch dead. It wouldn't give away their position, but at least give you a chance to spray some bullets or turn around. Meh... just an idea.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    I think observatories are too effective against camo. I think a great change would be to make it slightly visible when you're in movement, and completely conceal it when standing still. Alternatively, if this sounds too unfair, make flashlight give away camo somewhat.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited December 2012
    I'd like to see an upgrade that causes footstep sounds to appear in a different location to a marine. Like, from the opposite direction, perhaps with a random offset (so that pro players don't just automatically know where they're coming from if they know the aliens have the upgrade). So instead of using silence to sneak up on an unsuspecting marine, the marine knows the attack is coming, but is tricked into guarding the wrong way. Fits perfectly as a deception/confusion upgrade.

As for cloak footstep sounds. It kinda ruins the surprise of sneaking up on somebody. You shouldn't know exactly when you have to request a scan - it should be up to the comm to do it. Also, a good player could just shoot the ground area in the direction where the sound is coming from (although I guess they could be on the ceiling). I don't think cloaking itself is OP anyway (at least, it's effect on the on-the-ground combat). However, it has too much on effect on the marine economy to scan enough to effectively counter it (the extra micro you have to do is enough without being drained of res all the time). Scanning should just revert back to energy, and have a slow regeneration and no more than double the cost of a scan in the energy pool. Or just no energy and a long cooldown. That way you can't spam it with one obs, and still have to spend res to invest in several observatories if you want to scan frequently (this is much preferable to forcing the marines to spend 3 res all the time to pick up sneaky skulks).
  • ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038364:date=Dec 1 2012, 10:05 AM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Dec 1 2012, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to see an upgrade that causes footstep sounds to appear in a different location to a marine. Like, from the opposite direction, perhaps with a random offset (so that pro players don't just automatically know where they're coming from if they know the aliens have the upgrade). So instead of using silence to sneak up on an unsuspecting marine, the marine knows the attack is coming, but is tricked into guarding the wrong way. Fits perfectly as a deception/confusion upgrade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I feel that would be redundant. Seeing as you already have teammates that you can accomplish the same thing with. It also wouldn't make a lot of since that they could produce sound across a room like that.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038362:date=Dec 1 2012, 10:05 AM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Dec 1 2012, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038362"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think observatories are too effective against camo. I think a great change would be to make it slightly visible when you're in movement, and completely conceal it when standing still. Alternatively, if this sounds too unfair, make flashlight give away camo somewhat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a cool idea.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038341:date=Dec 1 2012, 05:02 PM:name=Ghosthree3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ghosthree3 @ Dec 1 2012, 05:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A lot of people may think that, but camo isn't op at all, not if you have a good commander that will use his scans properly anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2038342:date=Dec 1 2012, 05:17 PM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ Dec 1 2012, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038342"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u><b>sharnrock:</b></u>

Camo is a huge risk for aliens. . .

Once marines find out they have it all they need to do is get into one giant ball and go attack the hive for an egg lock

2 Scans is usually all that is needed and any extra money goes to a forward armory and mines<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where do you people keep coming from. Please go argue in the "how to counter camo thread", all of these have already been covered.

I'll point one thing out anyway - so once marines find out aliens have camo they just all go to hive and win? Oh yeah? So, basically you're saying, that if aliens don't get an upgrade within the 1st minute, marines just walk into hive and win? How come that isn't happening? BECAUSE SKULKS AREN'T USELESS WITHOUT AN UPGRADE!

Yours truly: Winning every game with camo.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    It <i>would</i> be more fair, but that doesn't mean that's the <i>right </i>solution to camo. Tons of suggestions are <i>more </i>fair, but the right solution will let Camo-first continue to be viable while continuing to play smoothly (which it doesn't seem like noisy camo would.)
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    I have to admit they need to take away the silence on camo movement, why does camo get invisibility and silence? Makes silence seem a very poor choice most of the time
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    I think that camo skulks should be heard. There is a silence upgrade and there is a camo upgrade, why should camo give you both?
    I guess to even it out aliens should basically be able to walk a bit faster with camo active, while still being able to press the movement modifier to be able to sneak.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038346:date=Dec 1 2012, 09:26 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Dec 1 2012, 09:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->would be interesting to try.

Personally i'd like to see scan energy come back first.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This wouldn't solve the problem most players have with camo. It's not a big deal for the comm to scan more when camo comes out. The problem in pubs, is many commanders just don't see scanning as part of their responsibility in any situation, even when camo is out. Or they scan in 5 places at once, realize they've spent 15 res, and then say to themselves "scanning is bad, they'll just have to manage without it".

The problem is, in pubs there's often very bad commanders, and a very bad commander will make camo overpowered. And therefor pub players will complain about it.

If camo is going to be "fixed" around pub balance, it needs to be less overpowered and less scary when the commander is terrible. and be less absolutely worthless and more scary when the commander is quite good.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038491:date=Dec 1 2012, 03:18 PM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Dec 1 2012, 03:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think that camo skulks should be heard. There is a silence upgrade and there is a camo upgrade, why should camo give you both?
    I guess to even it out aliens should basically be able to walk a bit faster with camo active, while still being able to press the movement modifier to be able to sneak.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So basically... a straight camo buff?
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2038500:date=Dec 2 2012, 12:26 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 2 2012, 12:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038500"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This wouldn't solve the problem most players have with camo. It's not a big deal for the comm to scan more when camo comes out. The problem in pubs, is many commanders just don't see scanning as part of their responsibility in any situation, even when camo is out. Or they scan in 5 places at once, realize they've spent 15 res, and then say to themselves "scanning is bad, they'll just have to manage without it".

The problem is, in pubs there's often very bad commanders, and a very bad commander will make camo overpowered. And therefor pub players will complain about it.

If camo is going to be "fixed" around pub balance, it needs to be less overpowered and less scary when the commander is terrible. and be less absolutely worthless and more scary when the commander is quite good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

3 tres per scan, lasts 10sec. So for a marine to cross a map with scans, that's like, what, 6-8 scans? +20 res just to move around, not to mention Skulks are still skulks even if they're scanned. "many commanders" no, ALL commanders, I've yet to see a single commander pulling off a scan-spam. (If you have to scan every room I'm calling it a spam, if you don't, marines die in that room you don't scan.)

I'll be waiting for that game where marines win with balanced teams vs. camo because of scanning. (Not gonna happen lol!)
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038504:date=Dec 1 2012, 04:33 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Dec 1 2012, 04:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3 tres per scan, lasts 10sec. So for a marine to cross a map with scans, that's like, what, 6-8 scans? +20 res just to move around, not to mention Skulks are still skulks even if they're scanned. "many commanders" no, ALL commanders, I've yet to see a single commander pulling off a scan-spam. (If you have to scan every room I'm calling it a spam, if you don't, marines die in that room you don't scan.)

I'll be waiting for that game where marines win with balanced teams vs. camo because of scanning. (Not gonna happen lol!)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's because you don't scan spam. You scan only areas where scan is needed. You exploit the fact that when an area is scanned, it will be at least 30 seconds before aliens can establish a new ambush in that area. You need a maximum of 4 scans to cross most maps completely, and once marines have crossed a map a single time, a phase gate is set up and they never have to actively pass that passage again. The only thing camo counters is the ability to easily rambo, and rambo marines almost never pay for themselves anyways, so why should the commander waste scans on them?

I have both seen camo successfully countered by a good commander many times, and I have successfully done it myself many times. This isn't just theory craft. If the commander is on his game (which really just means "is not terrible" scanning is not hard) then camo is significantly weaker than any other chamber opening. Aliens lose their ability both to be directly agressive, and to be directly defensive. The only thing they are objectively better at is harassment (which can be EXTREMELY annoying if used correctly, but isn't usually enough to completely tilt the game in the aliens favor)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    yeah lets nerf the worst alien tech tree to the point where you can counter it WITHOUT an obs/scan/skill.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038501:date=Dec 1 2012, 10:28 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Dec 1 2012, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So basically... a straight camo buff?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Read what I wrote again, it is clearly not a buff. As long as marines can still move faster than camo aliens it's all good. But if they make a sound you can easily tell your comm to scan. They should still be able to set up proper ambushes though, that doesn't change.

Also, I'm not talking about crazy speeds, a slight increase for when you're audible should suffice.
    <!--quoteo(post=2038513:date=Dec 2 2012, 12:45 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 2 2012, 12:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038513"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's because you don't scan spam. You scan only areas where scan is needed. You exploit the fact that when an area is scanned, it will be at least 30 seconds before aliens can establish a new ambush in that area. You need a maximum of 4 scans to cross most maps completely, and once marines have crossed a map a single time, a phase gate is set up and they never have to actively pass that passage again. The only thing camo counters is the ability to easily rambo, and rambo marines almost never pay for themselves anyways, so why should the commander waste scans on them?

I have both seen camo successfully countered by a good commander many times, and I have successfully done it myself many times. This isn't just theory craft. If the commander is on his game (which really just means "is not terrible" scanning is not hard) then camo is significantly weaker than any other chamber opening. Aliens lose their ability both to be directly agressive, and to be directly defensive. The only thing they are objectively better at is harassment (which can be EXTREMELY annoying if used correctly, but isn't usually enough to completely tilt the game in the aliens favor)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd love to play those games where marines cross the entire map in 40 seconds and where Skulks take 20 seconds to sneak through the width of a scan - also assuming a scan causes all skulks to have a heart-attack thus not impeding marines at all.

But if you're winning all camo games as marine and losing all camo games as skulks, gratz. Does not happen on EU servers. Ever. I guess all we have is bad comms then.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038519:date=Dec 1 2012, 03:57 PM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Dec 1 2012, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Read what I wrote again, it is clearly not a buff. As long as marines can still move faster than camo aliens it's all good. But if they make a sound you can easily tell your comm to scan. They should still be able to set up proper ambushes though, that doesn't change.

Also, I'm not talking about crazy speeds, a slight increase for when you're audible should suffice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=2038491:date=Dec 1 2012, 03:18 PM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Dec 1 2012, 03:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think that camo skulks should be heard. There is a silence upgrade and there is a camo upgrade, why should camo give you both?
    I guess to even it out aliens should basically be able to walk a bit faster with camo active, while still being able to press the movement modifier to be able to sneak.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So you want aliens to be able to sneak around camouflaged and silent, like they can now, except now they can also choose to move quickly with camo and make noise.
  • t0net0ne Join Date: 2012-07-15 Member: 154142Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038337:date=Dec 1 2012, 08:38 AM:name=sharnrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sharnrock @ Dec 1 2012, 08:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A lot of people think camo is a little OP at the moment. Do you think it would be more fair if you could hear, maybe not at full volume, the pitter patter of skulk feet? I mean, you still can't see them at all as they move, but it just seems like such a huge advantage if the first time you notice a skulk is when your knee is gone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no because if the alien doesnt walk, then they are uncloaked unless they are within the range of a shade. this is how it was in ns1, and it was balanced just fine
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    At least in pubs I haven't had a problem killing camo skulks, if you get bit just jump away and start shooting where you were.
    <!--quoteo(post=2038541:date=Dec 1 2012, 05:56 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Dec 1 2012, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd love to play those games where marines cross the entire map in 40 seconds and where Skulks take 20 seconds to sneak through the width of a scan - also assuming a scan causes all skulks to have a heart-attack thus not impeding marines at all.

But if you're winning all camo games as marine and losing all camo games as skulks, gratz. Does not happen on EU servers. Ever. I guess all we have is bad comms then.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Skulks can still run if they like, they don't have to sneak everwhere as soon as the camo upgrade is up, and marines can still be bad, you never win all games of one type and lose all games of another. But it requires a more alien stacked team to win a game starting camo if the marine commander is decent than if the alien comm had started with shift or craig. The better the marines and the comm get, the worse shade first gets relative to the other 2 chambers.
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    Camo is quiet because you are sneaking. Aliens are sacrificing celerity or carapace/regen on your second hive to get camo. Hasn't this been discussed to death already?
    <!--quoteo(post=2038553:date=Dec 2 2012, 02:21 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 2 2012, 02:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulks can still run if they like, they don't have to sneak everwhere as soon as the camo upgrade is up, and marines can still be bad, you never win all games of one type and lose all games of another. But it requires a more alien stacked team to win a game starting camo if the marine commander is decent than if the alien comm had started with shift or craig. The better the marines and the comm get, the worse shade first gets relative to the other 2 chambers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I disagree.

And I'm going to be proven right in the near future when camo gets nerfed.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2038623:date=Dec 1 2012, 07:22 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Dec 1 2012, 07:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I disagree.

And I'm going to be proven right in the near future when camo gets nerfed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I doubt camo will get nerfed, there's nothing to really nerf considering how bad it is.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    i really hope you guys know that camo does not equal impossible to see, actually if you look very closely you can see aliens in camo state, they are a very hard to see blue tinge, i have seen camo aliens walking around a wall and i blast them then to be called a hacker, its not hacks its called calibrating your monitor so you get the most accurate colors from it.