Would Anyone Be Opposed to a Mine Damage Buff?

Al_Ka_PwnAl_Ka_Pwn Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63264Members
It seems silly that a grenade can instantly kill a skulk with carapace and it gets more ammo for free, but a 5 rez mine can't kill a skulk with carapace. For their cost, and their vulnerability to ranged alien attacks they should at the very least be able to kill skulks at all stages of the game.

Comments

• RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    I agree, for that cost a single mine should be powerful enough to reliably 1-shot any skulk.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    <i>Would Anyone Be Opposed to a Mine Damage Buff?</i>

absolutely.

mines are godlike, especially as a resource dump.

the other day i got about 10-15 mine kills in a single game. they make skulks almost completely worthless, even if you don't die you become almost one-hittable so even derpy marines can roll face on keyboard and still kill you.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    If anything mines need a nerf, not a buff.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    They are fine as is.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2033452:date=Nov 24 2012, 07:30 AM:name=Al_Ka_Pwn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Al_Ka_Pwn @ Nov 24 2012, 07:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033452"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It seems silly that a grenade can instantly kill a skulk with carapace and it gets more ammo for free, but a 5 rez mine can't kill a skulk with carapace. For their cost, and their vulnerability to ranged alien attacks they should at the very least be able to kill skulks at all stages of the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Totally.... a crazy OP part of Marine game play should be made even more powerful yo....
    Lets make the shotgun rapid fire and have infinite ammo too?
    Perhaps lets make Nano-shield work on multiple marines at once.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    Mines are under priced in the current metagame. Your in base powernodes and phase gates are SIGNIFICANTLY weaker without a couple mines. You free up 1 to 2 marines to do actual things just by having those mines in your base, and save a bunch of res in beacons.

In the current version of NS, where it's basically bad for aliens to not try powernode rushes, mines are overpowered for the price they cost. If powernode rushes were more of a tactical decision rather than a required fallback every time marines moved forward than mines could be more powerful for their cost.
  • TroubleshooterTroubleshooter Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171559Members
    In what situation should a skulk with cara not be one shotted by stuff? I mean, wtf is the reason for taking cara on a skulk people?

Leave mines alone.
    <!--quoteo(post=2033476:date=Nov 24 2012, 03:02 AM:name=Troubleshooter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Troubleshooter @ Nov 24 2012, 03:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033476"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In what situation should a skulk with cara not be one shotted by stuff? I mean, wtf is the reason for taking cara on a skulk people?

Leave mines alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Non cara skulks can prevent dying from mines as well.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Mines should be highly effective against skulks, irrelevant to gorges, moderately effective against Lerks, and completely ignorable by Fades and Onos. A damage buff would only skew the current, acceptable, state.
  • fearianfearian Join Date: 2007-04-14 Member: 60624Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2033465:date=Nov 24 2012, 07:44 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Nov 24 2012, 07:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They are fine as is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They are fine as is.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    edited November 2012
    I think mines are perfect the way that they are. Lets not buff things which require next to no skill to use.

To the people saying that they are op, i do disagree with you, only due to the incredible number of counters which aliens have at their disposal, especially lerks which are a fairly early and fairly effective counter. needless to say once bile bomb, leap, onos or fade are out, mines become a lot less useful.
    <!--quoteo(post=2033497:date=Nov 24 2012, 10:48 AM:name=Hunter.S.T.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hunter.S.T. @ Nov 24 2012, 10:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think mines are perfect the way that they are. Lets not buff things which require next to no skill to use.

To the people saying that they are op, i do disagree with you, only due to the incredible number of counters which aliens have at their disposal, especially lerks which are a fairly early and fairly effective counter. needless to say once bile bomb, leap, onos or fade are out, mines become a lot less useful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

true.

i think the 'overpowered' view is mainly when aliens have their backs to the wall and are pretty much all stuck as skulk. mines can make skulk almost entirely powerless... you can defend powernode, phase gates, cover your flanks... even place them around you to prevent skulks from engaging.

however... in the grand scheme of things something which is almost a 'hard counter' to skulk is just strategic depth.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    edited November 2012
    i don't think it's the damage that needs buff... it's mine behavior.

1skulk can run with celerity above mine (or fade can blink) and they take none damage if they're fast enough, just clearing the minefield, and if you place mines next to eachother you'd think you get dmg buff, but in reality i think it does nothing at all, other mines explode but they're too far away to do any dmg.

in my opinion what needs to be chanced :

- mines needs to explode instantly, you shouldn't be able to dodge with fast skulk or blink fade.

- mines needs to do increased dmg if placed next to each other ( if they are doing increased dmg, i sure hell don't see it, i can see 1 skulk survive 3x mine explode )

how ever these chances would make mines very effective, so to keep balance, they could actually LOWER the dmg they deal, so if you want kill 1skulk instantly, you need to place 2mines or even all 3 to sameplace if he has cara.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2033506:date=Nov 24 2012, 11:06 AM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Nov 24 2012, 11:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i don't think it's the damage that needs buff... it's mine behavior.

1skulk can run with celerity above mine (or fade can blink) and they take none damage if they're fast enough, just clearing the minefield, and if you place mines next to eachother you'd think you get dmg buff, but in reality i think it does nothing at all, other mines explode but they're too far away to do any dmg.

in my opinion what needs to be chanced :

- mines needs to explode instantly, you shouldn't be able to dodge with fast skulk or blink fade.

- mines needs to do increased dmg if placed next to each other ( if they are doing increased dmg, i sure hell don't see it, i can see 1 skulk survive 3x mine explode )

how ever these chances would make mines very effective, so to keep balance, they could actually LOWER the dmg they deal, so if you want kill 1skulk instantly, you need to place 2mines or even all 3 to sameplace if he has cara.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i'd rather have current mines.

1. mines aren't good against armor (light damage), in other words they're only meant for weakened stuff or skulks
    2. mines aren't meant to be a 'weapon', they're meant to be a hazard or deterrent.

fyi you can't run <i>over</i> a mine as skulk; even with celerity or leap it will either kill or leave you extremely low. to avoid damage you have to run past the very tip of the trigger radius which isn't really possible if it's blocking a vent or narrow passageway. normally you don't see the mine until it's too late - or it's been hidden by a marine half-clipping it into a phase gate etc.

tl;dr mines are plenty good already.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>Hunter.S.T.:</b></u>

Vanilla Skulks can set off mines without dieing

You take some damage still, but I do it all the time and with regen you don't even care

If you can't risk that health then there's always parasite
    So now that's two ways for skulk to counter it

Obviously every lifeform after that just gets better and better with the counters

I think mines do need a boost, but not direclty
    I'd be much more interested in a sidegrade for them via a 5-10 res researchable or even an alt fire that can be used on infestation
  • inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    IMHO, the only real problem with mines is...

1) that people place them too close together, which in turn, blows them all up.
    2) the Lerk and Fade being able to perform a (drive by) and blow up mines.

These points need to be addressed.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2033559:date=Nov 24 2012, 02:41 PM:name=inveigle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (inveigle @ Nov 24 2012, 02:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IMHO, the only real problem with mines is...

These points need to be addressed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1) in certain situations you might want to 'stack' mines.

2) that's basically the only weakness of mines, although lerk would be kinda stupid to fly over because you still take damage (just shoot with spikes)
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    They want the game to remain pvp not pve. Mines will get a skulk down to ~10hp it's up to the player to finish them off. Although, I have got a ton of kills off mines.
  • Al_Ka_PwnAl_Ka_Pwn Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2033466:date=Nov 24 2012, 07:44 AM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 24 2012, 07:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033466"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Totally.... a crazy OP part of Marine game play should be made even more powerful yo....
    Lets make the shotgun rapid fire and have infinite ammo too?
    Perhaps lets make Nano-shield work on multiple marines at once.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have to headbutt a mine to die to it, it's not invisible. Dying to a mine is literally your mistake to make since you can not die to it even without carapace and you call this thing OP? Are bottomless pits and lava op as well since you have to run headlong into those in order to die to them?

I'm sorry but if you think that mines are what is making you lose games due to their over poweredness then you need to reevaluate your play style.
  • Al_Ka_PwnAl_Ka_Pwn Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2033571:date=Nov 24 2012, 03:25 PM:name=sharnrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sharnrock @ Nov 24 2012, 03:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They want the game to remain pvp not pve. Mines will get a skulk down to ~10hp it's up to the player to finish them off. Although, I have got a ton of kills off mines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think someone made a really interesting point in the electrify thread where allowing mines to actually be powerful enough to do a decent job of defending a RT makes it so that the game becomes less of a game of whack-a-mole resource tower edition, and more a PvP game where aliens are forced to preemptively stop marines from setting up. or at least have to delay the pres onos in order to get a gorge or lerk to kill the mines.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    im pretty happy with mines were they are. i was the other day thinking that mines should actually be nerfed and deal damage to team mates (i think ns1 did it that way, or probably that was only with FF on?). but since they can easily be avoided / destroyed its not a big deal.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    There's no way mines will ever hold territory by themselves, unless you give them an AoE detonation radius or some crap. A mine behind an RT or power node is useful because it prevents the skulk from moving freely while biting it, which makes it easy to defend. Admittedly that doesn't make as much difference in pubs because marines will often just not defend an area at all. They're also useful as force multipliers in contested areas. Most pub marines just have no idea what to use them for, and aren't willing to invest PRes in something disposable.
    Sentries should be removed and mines should be free research but require the robotics factory. This would solve so many problems with newbie commanders dropping 100 res worth of useless sentries.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Mines are a bit too powerful, or at least too cheap. The most common tactic in 6v6 competitive now is to rush mine research, and then all the marines instantly buy a pack of mines each (that's 18 mines...) and place the around the marine base, around marine rts, in just about every vent on the map, around random corners, pretty much everywhere really. A couple of minutes later, they can place another 18 mines.

It makes skulking extremely frustrating, and pretty much shuts down all movement through vents. Part of the problem is that you don't even have to touch the mine for it to explode, you just have to be close to it, which makes it a bit too easy to hit them by mistake. Then there's the cost -- they're simply too cheap compared to how many of them you get.

As for the counters; they're not really effective. Spamming cysts around the entire map isn't feasible in the early parts of the game, and probably not even in the later parts of the game unless you are completely dominating. Some parts of the map you can't even cyst, like vents. Lerks don't come out until 5 minutes or so into the game, so that doesn't really help either. Even when you have a lerk, you need that lerk to help in combat, not flying around the entire map looking for mines -- and even if you know where the mines are, shooting them actually takes a lot of time.
    Well the problem with them is only with how early you can get them out imo, if they required a robo + research it would offset this.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2033708:date=Nov 24 2012, 12:37 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Nov 24 2012, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well the problem with them is only with how early you can get them out imo, if they required a robo + research it would offset this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If they came any later than early game, they'd be borderline useless. Higher lifeforms can tank multiple mines easily since they only do light-type damage.
    <!--quoteo(post=2033559:date=Nov 24 2012, 09:41 AM:name=inveigle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (inveigle @ Nov 24 2012, 09:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IMHO, the only real problem with mines is...

These points need to be addressed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    #2 is not a problem.

A drive by is something useful to do, but it's time spent as well. That time could have been spent harassing marines or taking down a building, where it rather has to be spent running home to heal.

Mines need some structure that prevents them from just universally denying space. Every mine should not be a guaranteed skulk kill.
  • nailertnnailertn Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172301Members
    Given the chance I have no second thoughts about suiciding with a free unit for two mines or for a gorge.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2033708:date=Nov 24 2012, 01:37 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Nov 24 2012, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well the problem with them is only with how early you can get them out imo, if they required a robo + research it would offset this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That wouldn't make sense unless they had tiny mechanical spider legs.
    edited November 2012
    I'm sure proximity mines must have some really complicated FoF system as well as target tracking in order to detonate properly on aliens. Either way, they are machines.