I Think Bile Bombs Should Be Looked At.

Al_Ka_PwnAl_Ka_Pwn Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63264Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
For 10 rez and 2 hives, the gorges get a weapon that does really good damage against, macs, arcs, exos, and all buildings. Marines really don't have any kind of comparable thing. Arcs, flame throwers or grenades don't do very good damage against onos at all. It's ridiculous that a push of 75 rez exos, 15 rez arcs and macs is brought to a screeching halt by 10 rez gorges.

It seems too powerful for its cost, and something could stand to change. I think either making it so that in order to damage something that is not a structure a gorge must land the bile bomb directly onto the unit instead of splashing it would be a good change. For a unit that is only 10 rez doing damage to an exo should be riskier and require a bit more skill than the being able to spam in someone's general direction thing that is happening now, or that it should just receive a straight up nerf to all non building things.

Comments

• SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Gorge dies in 1 LMG mag. There's your counter.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Have you actually tried to kill an exo as gorge? Or are you only playing marines?
    Bile Bomb is very good balanced right now. A normal LMG marine has no problem to hunt a gorge down.

There also is no need for a "comparable thing at the marine team" because this is an asymmetric game. And asymmetric does not mean, that both teams have the same weapons with other names. It means that they play completely different. Like: Skulks and Gorges are good against Exos but LMG Marines are not so good against onos. It is asymmetry.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2032220:date=Nov 22 2012, 10:27 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Nov 22 2012, 10:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge dies in 1 LMG mag. There's your counter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. I often thing shooting things to be a really good counter.
  • Al_Ka_PwnAl_Ka_Pwn Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63264Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2032220:date=Nov 22 2012, 03:27 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Nov 22 2012, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge dies in 1 LMG mag. There's your counter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

unless there are other gorges or crags. both of which heal incredibly fast, so yes if he is by himself then it's fine, but that never happens, he's only 10 rez so 3 ppl can afford to be a gorge and they usually have crag help, which means that 2 lmg clips won't kill them.

And yes I do play gorge quite frequently. It's incredibly easy to just hit a bile bomb on the wall and cause a good amount of damage over time without ever putting myself in danger. and since Exos only have armor, its very easy to force them to retreat. Exos are already pretty awful to play as, being forced to run back for heals for a life form that does incredible damage and can be replaced for less money than a shotgun is not a good game mechanic.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Yeah it may be super effective against structures, but it's also used by the weakest unit in the game (can't defend itself, slow, can't fly or wallclimb). Gorges are super easy to kill if they're not defended.

Just be thankful that lerks don't have bilebomb anymore :P Back in the beta when they introduced it, it was coupled with crippling fps loss. Lerks would just teleport all around the room spamming bile, and it was just impossible to hit them with the performance issues. One of the only counters was just to spam sentries EVERYWHERE.

Now bile bomb is fine, because it's on gorge, and gorges are weak as ######. You have to either be really crafty with bile bomb, or do it as part of a team assault.
    <!--quoteo(post=2032231:date=Nov 22 2012, 03:38 PM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Nov 22 2012, 03:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah it may be super effective against structures, but it's also used by the weakest unit in the game (can't defend itself, slow, can't fly or wallclimb). Gorges are super easy to kill if they're not defended.

Just be thankful that lerks don't have bilebomb anymore :P Back in the beta when they introduced it, it was coupled with crippling fps loss. Lerks would just teleport all around the room spamming bile, and it was just impossible to hit them with the performance issues. One of the only counters was just to spam sentries EVERYWHERE.

Now bile bomb is fine, because it's on gorge, and gorges are weak as ######. You have to either be really crafty with bile bomb, or do it as part of a team assault.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

gorges are weak by themselves but with crags or other gorges they aren't. They can last a very impressive amount of time, and once again since they can be very easily replaced upon death and can attack by shooting a wall they aren't easy to kill because it's hard get at them and they can be healed very quickly
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I disagree. An amount of marines can kill an equal amount of gorges even with crag support. Especially when an exo is with them. Turning around that corner and killing those gorges to retreat afterwards and get welded is a matter of seconds. Exos are no rambo machines. You need teamplay in this things too.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I did 37055dmg to the Warehouse base last night, as a gorge, and took out more than half of it including the protolab, adv armory, all of the IPs and the obs (couldn't quite reach the pg) - all with just bile bomb.

But it was not OP. The only reason I was able to survive is because the JP marine kept trying to flame me out when he should have switched to his pistol or picked up an assault rifle lying on the ground. Because he held onto his precious flamethrower with a deathgrip, I came very close to singlehandedly turning the game around for Aliens. If he had grabbed the assault rifle, level 3 bullets would have turned me into gorge swiss cheese.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2032232:date=Nov 22 2012, 11:41 AM:name=Al_Ka_Pwn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Al_Ka_Pwn @ Nov 22 2012, 11:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->gorges are weak by themselves but with crags or other gorges they aren't. They can last a very impressive amount of time, and once again since they can be very easily replaced upon death and can attack by shooting a wall they aren't easy to kill because it's hard get at them and they can be healed very quickly<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed. Teamwork is a good thing and should be encouraged. Honestly, I don't see the problem. You're picking on one of the most balanced things in the whole game right now.

The counter to bile bomb is teamwork! You're essentially saying that the gorge is overpowered. Poor gorgey, first he gets most of his buildings taken away, and now he's too dangerous in combat under the one condition that he meets a rambo exo in a place with lots of cover where he also has khammander support... You want to stuff him and put him on your shelf, next?
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    GRENADE LAUNCHER SPAM
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032241:date=Nov 22 2012, 08:57 AM:name=Roobubba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roobubba @ Nov 22 2012, 08:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The counter to bile bomb is teamwork! You're essentially saying that the gorge is overpowered. Poor gorgey, first he gets most of his buildings taken away, and now he's too dangerous in combat under the one condition that he meets a rambo exo in a place with lots of cover where he also has khammander support... You want to stuff him and put him on your shelf, next?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I miss turning a hallway into a stealthy spike ball death trap that healed itself while I healed it. Now THAT was map control.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    The bile bomb is only useful for specific scenarios. The Gorge doesn't really even have weapons to defend himself from marines. In some ways, I'd say this is similar to the ARCs on the marine side. He needs a lot of support to make a good offensive with this (crags, an Onos at the extreme) and it's valuable and very rewarding to do so. The aliens really don't have too many base-sieging options, especially not at range, so I'd really like Bile Bomb not to be adjusted.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    For 0 res and 1 cc, marines get a weapon that can kill a 10 res gorge within seconds. NERF MARINES!
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    lol did u ever kill a gorge at least in your last 5 years?
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2032254:date=Nov 22 2012, 09:18 AM:name=Neoken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neoken @ Nov 22 2012, 09:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032254"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For 0 res and 1 cc, marines get a weapon that can kill a 10 res gorge within seconds. NERF MARINES!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hallelujah! That AR can even kill Fades for zero investment! OP!

But seriously, the Gorge is fine except for the massively reduced self healing. That nerf bat hit hard.

EDIT: Of course, the alternative was me bouncing around a crate, healing myself, while killing the enemy with that healing spray.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    Gorges are weaker than free marines. Craigs don't heal them fast enough any more to prevent them from being killed. You need 3 gorges to get over the hump of one marine being able to easily kill you. You also can't actually kill non-exo marines with bile, where as GL does not have that problem.

The "push" you reference would not be stopped by one gorge, in order for a gorge to be able to effectively bile down that push you'd need something like an onos to prevent the exo from just killing the gorge in half a second.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032226:date=Nov 22 2012, 11:32 AM:name=Al_Ka_Pwn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Al_Ka_Pwn @ Nov 22 2012, 11:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->unless there are other gorges or crags. both of which heal incredibly fast, so yes if he is by himself then it's fine, but that never happens, he's only 10 rez so 3 ppl can afford to be a gorge and they usually have crag help, which means that 2 lmg clips won't kill them.

And yes I do play gorge quite frequently. It's incredibly easy to just hit a bile bomb on the wall and cause a good amount of damage over time without ever putting myself in danger. and since Exos only have armor, its very easy to force them to retreat. Exos are already pretty awful to play as, being forced to run back for heals for a life form that does incredible damage and can be replaced for less money than a shotgun is not a good game mechanic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    GLs, Shotguns, better aim.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2032226:date=Nov 22 2012, 08:32 AM:name=Al_Ka_Pwn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Al_Ka_Pwn @ Nov 22 2012, 08:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Exos are already pretty awful to play as, being forced to run back for heals for a life form that does incredible damage and can be replaced for less money than a shotgun is not a good game mechanic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't say?

L2P with a SG/GL jetpack.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    This forum is filled with vs idiocy, when you are evaluating the power of an ability or lifeform you have to take into account other abilities/lifeforms that are likely to be deployed alongside it. Saying that 3 marines can kill 3 gorges does not mean ######.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Bilebomb's fine really. Heck, without it aliens wouldn't stand a chance versus exos or turtling marines in general so it's actually pretty ###### they need 2 hives for it. Not to mention it's all the gorge has that makes it remotely fun to play, since mobile crag and 3 piss poor hydras and shoddy clogs gets boring pretty quickly.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Plus wasting another 9 res into a set of Gorge Hydras, thus pretty much denying a dedicated Gorge player to evolve into higher life forms in the near future. 2 res per Hydra would seem perfectly fine to me, considering how fast they die.
  • AsmodiesAsmodies Join Date: 2004-06-17 Member: 29353Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032459:date=Nov 22 2012, 03:47 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Nov 22 2012, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032459"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This forum is filled with vs idiocy, when you are evaluating the power of an ability or lifeform you have to take into account other abilities/lifeforms that are likely to be deployed alongside it. Saying that 3 marines can kill 3 gorges does not mean ######.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're right, it's pretty blind to think an exo would be by itself. It'll probably have people welding it negating the gorge's damage, thanks for pointing that out.

If a gorge has a forward crag base outside an area where an exo is defending, that is the result of a tactical mistake made by the marines. Anything else is just theorycrafing about what units either team can have to counter the other. Bilebomb is fine, gl/jp or focusing the gorge on a push counters the harass of bile.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032530:date=Nov 22 2012, 05:28 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Nov 22 2012, 05:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Plus wasting another 9 res into a set of Gorge Hydras, thus pretty much denying a dedicated Gorge player to evolve into higher life forms in the near future. 2 res per Hydra would seem perfectly fine to me, considering how fast they die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most times I go gorge I don't even drop hydras. It's a waste of resources most of the time.

There are some situations it's good, but it's too much of a res sink for how easily they can be killed, even if you're sitting there healing it.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2032540:date=Nov 22 2012, 10:50 PM:name=Asmodies)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asmodies @ Nov 22 2012, 10:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032540"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're right, it's pretty blind to think an exo would be by itself. It'll probably have people welding it negating the gorge's damage, thanks for pointing that out.

If a gorge has a forward crag base outside an area where an exo is defending, that is the result of a tactical mistake made by the marines. Anything else is just theorycrafing about what units either team can have to counter the other. Bilebomb is fine, gl/jp or focusing the gorge on a push counters the harass of bile.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're missing the point, bile bomb in that instance would do damage to the welders, and to the exo, and if with 30 clogs running in and killing them isn't an option. Any kind of bunching up means that gorges can do a huge amount of damage to a lot of people. I don't think that making it so that gorge only do damage to EXOS on a direct hit would do anything but help exos see more use because as is they are underwhelming and the fact that they can be pushed back by a 10 rez unit is not good. And since 3 gorges can effectively delay an entire team and send them back, their 3 man team work > 8 man team work. heavies in NS1 had health on top of armor and had a useful jet pack, AND could weld each other. Exos lost all of this meaning bile bomb is a bit too strong against them specifically, not vs anything else.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    If your full team push with exos is being stopped by three gorges alone then the problem is with your team.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2032632:date=Nov 23 2012, 02:17 AM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Nov 23 2012, 02:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If your full team push with exos is being stopped by three gorges alone then the problem is with your team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ok, so for 10 rez you can do 70 damage per second per gorge to every single person in a hallway. and you can do that damage to something that costs 75 rez and is extremely slow and do it without even having to put yourself in dangre? I would be willing to conceive that it might be a problem because exos are so slow, but there is a problem there. That exos have no health, and nothing but armor and that they can take 70 damage per second without a way to escape quickly and can so easily be thwarted by a gorges that don't even have to look at them, something is wrong.

do you currently believe the game is perfectly balanced? are you willing to admit that imbalances do exist within the game?
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032649:date=Nov 22 2012, 07:45 PM:name=Al_Ka_Pwn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Al_Ka_Pwn @ Nov 22 2012, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok, so for 10 rez you can do 70 damage per second per gorge to every single person in a hallway. and you can do that damage to something that costs 75 rez and is extremely slow and do it without even having to put yourself in dangre? I would be willing to conceive that it might be a problem because exos are so slow, but there is a problem there. That exos have no health, and nothing but armor and that they can take 70 damage per second without a way to escape quickly and can so easily be thwarted by a gorges that don't even have to look at them, something is wrong.

do you currently believe the game is perfectly balanced? are you willing to admit that imbalances do exist within the game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    All of this is fine until: Oh look, aliens can't destroy anything unless they rush or use an Onos. The bile bomb is at least there to mitigate how bad all of the aliens are at deactivating marine structures when performing a frontal attack. Tampering with the bile bomb closes doors, and this game, does not have a lot of doors.
    <!--quoteo(post=2032653:date=Nov 23 2012, 02:54 AM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 23 2012, 02:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All of this is fine until: Oh look, aliens can't destroy anything unless they rush or use an Onos. The bile bomb is at least there to mitigate how bad all of the aliens are at deactivating marine structures when performing a frontal attack. Tampering with the bile bomb closes doors, and this game, does not have a lot of doors.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you even read what I'm saying? You're entire post in summation is "bile bombs are there to destroy buildings" which I don't disagree with, I disagree with the fact that they can do so very well against exos. yes, by all means they should be great at destroying buildings, they should not be great at destroying marines most powerful end game unit.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032653:date=Nov 23 2012, 01:54 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 23 2012, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All of this is fine until: Oh look, aliens can't destroy anything unless they rush or use an Onos. The bile bomb is at least there to mitigate how bad all of the aliens are at deactivating marine structures when performing a frontal attack. Tampering with the bile bomb closes doors, and this game, does not have a lot of doors.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The amount of games I play and win without Onos and 1 or 2 gorge to heal all the attacking fades / lerks / skulks... This comment is factually incorrect
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032649:date=Nov 23 2012, 12:45 PM:name=Al_Ka_Pwn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Al_Ka_Pwn @ Nov 23 2012, 12:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok, so for 10 rez you can do 70 damage per second per gorge to every single person in a hallway. and you can do that damage to something that costs 75 rez and is extremely slow and do it without even having to put yourself in dangre? I would be willing to conceive that it might be a problem because exos are so slow, but there is a problem there. That exos have no health, and nothing but armor and that they can take 70 damage per second without a way to escape quickly and can so easily be thwarted by a gorges that don't even have to look at them, something is wrong.

do you currently believe the game is perfectly balanced? are you willing to admit that imbalances do exist within the game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bile bombs strips armour so does not kill non exo marines..just makes them easier to kill should other aliens be there..

BB is not OP'd, as others have said exo push with welders should not fail to 3 gorges...marines focus on welding...exos on killing....gorge will strip a marines armour but he will still have 100% health (though 0 armour).
    If your losing exo's to gorges then you have already lost as you clearly cant play as a team. Sorry but 1 exo and 2 marines will kill 3 gorges unless someones inept.

You want to be impervious to stomp and gas as an exo...so what do you suggest be your weakness? a 10 res unit thats barely got much speed or mobility with only 1 attack seems a reasonable weakness.