Please do not treat the game as a beta anymore

MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate placesValencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
I was debating where to post this in the general forums or the competitive play forums, but I decided this was a better suited forum for this.

As we were playing in a closed beta, the teams would keep playing even with clearly unbalanced patches and that was fine, but with the game out of beta I think tinkering with balance on a weekly basis is only going to damage the game and the competitive play, especially when the history of balance changes tend to be very extreme and drastic, taking 3-4 patches to get everything "under control" again.

As people might or might not know, the playtesters do not test balance and just focus on bugs as that's their mission, so balance changes often get released in a "rushed" state and the public gets to experience "the beta" until things get balanced again, but the point is... the game is not in beta anymore.

So what I'd love to see UWE do in this regard is to keep publishing fixes weekly if so they choose, but hold the balance changes longer and have them tested thoroughly before releasing them to the public, this could be done monthly, every 45 days, etc. The point is, they should get very well tested (and with competitive players involved).

And please, please, publish all the balance changes in the changelog as it is very important to know what has changed, most people knew about the crag changes ONLY because people were doing diffs with the lua files to find out what changed.

The game is not in beta anymore so please do not treat it as such, again, weekly patches with bug fixes and improvements are fine, but balance is a very delicate thing, especially now that leagues are starting soon and will be played regularly.

We all want the game to succeed, and if you truly want to make NS2 into an esport, balance should be treated with the importance it deserves.

Comments

• ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    They are gonna start with bi-monthly patches now.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    actually keen for this to be passed, I'll put my hand up for balance testing
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    I agree, although some of us have been calling for such a process all along.

Previously, balancing through the public beta build on Steam was acceptable as it was itself a beta and predictably subject to change drastically quite often. This is no longer the case. The current "beta" process that people can opt in through for Steam a few days leading up to release, where they are forbidden to discuss balance changes is totally inadequate for a game being pushed as an ESPORT (yes it is, I'm confused as to why that has been denied on occasion recently). Clan matches are happening every week, with some big tournaments coming very soon. Everyone wants the game to be as good as it can be.

Playtesters test for bugs, maptesters check for holes in the map and problems with AI pathfinding etc, it's time we had well experienced people taking a keener look at the state of the game itself. Let us help <3

<!--quoteo(post=2024462:date=Nov 15 2012, 11:38 PM:name=Scrajm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scrajm @ Nov 15 2012, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They are gonna start with bi-monthly patches now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

More time between patches is good, however as it stands now there would still be no good way to get gameplay feedback before these patches are released. The current playtesting format does not support this.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    100% need balance team. The game is to complex and hard for people that don't really actually play the game.
  • MeshuMeshu Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167126Members, Squad Five Blue
    Agreed and would love to see a dedicated balance team in place.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    needs a balance team...

Id put my hand up
  • kai-kai- Join Date: 2011-05-14 Member: 98679Members
    Agreed.

This needs to be implemented very soon, once the hype and novelty of an rts/fps hybrid with aliems exo-robots and flamerguns wears off it's going to become glaringly obvious how unbalanced the game is, particularly in its current state.

NS2 needs a structured and intelligent system for the creation, testing and passing of all balance changes. Most of the changes I've seen since alpha have been very impetuous and haven't felt well thought out. Exploring new game-play ideas is great and fun, but like the OP has so eloquently stated, the game is no longer in beta.

Opinions of the top competitive clans should be VERY highly regarded, almost no other audience understands the weaknesses and strengths of NS2 as well as these guys do. Metered, intelligent and rational opinions such as those of Fana, Squirelli are your best bet for balance advice. These guys have probably played your game more than anybody else, and as a result will probably have the deepest understanding of how to fix problems with it.

Dev's have been great at making the game so far, let the community help you guys balance it, just like NS1.
  • lolwowlolwow Join Date: 2012-10-06 Member: 161681Members
    It's a really bad habit, not putting HUGE changes into the changelog like crag healing and just telling playtesters to "play normally and look for bugs", forcing them to do tiresome lua comparisons and reverse deducing what has been changed so they can focus on it. At the very least give playtesters a full changelog so they can see if something might've been subtly broken
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Definitely agree with you Mendasp! Good post!
    What was changed about the crag? o_O
    I've been suggesting a balance team for a long time.
    It would help the balance of the game greatly, it needs that.
    Because even though it might say very close to 50/50, there are some things that really needs a change.
    These thing are not be easy to spot if you don't play the game much, like UWE themselves.
    I agree that the competetive scene is where the advise is to be found, and it doesn't cost a single dollar.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Problem with a balance team has been the same problem all along, getting the correct people in a group that are active, willing to do repetitive things potentially hundreds of times, highly skilled and also reflective on not only their skill level, but the impacts of any change across all levels. Many of the people that would have done these things are already pretty burned from the previous failed attempts, and while there are more potential players now with release, the actual list of people that are good canidates for such a team, IMO, is still quite small.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2024624:date=Nov 15 2012, 11:43 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Nov 15 2012, 11:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Problem with a balance team has been the same problem all along, getting the correct people in a group that are active, willing to do repetitive things potentially hundreds of times, highly skilled and also reflective on not only their skill level, but the impacts of any change across all levels. Many of the people that would have done these things are already pretty burned from the previous failed attempts, and while there are more potential players now with release, the actual list of people that are good canidates for such a team, IMO, is still quite small.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's balance... not bug fixing. doesn't require 100 play through to know when something is OP.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    For commenting on easy things sure, but honestly to try and evaluate things like skulk vs rifle marine or leap celerity skulk vs shotgun, its not something you can run a couple times and make conclusive statements about, you need to test it in various environments, situations and ways to get a clear picture. Going to be blunt and just say I think thats a good example of how people do not understand whats required to truely balance such a varied and skill based game.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    edited November 2012
    rofl, fortunately they'd be balancing NS2 instead of whatever game you're talking about.

edit: Seriously though, this seems like the third waste of time. Charlie will consider competitive player's opinions if they're emailed with rational arguments or if he sees a trend in competitive VODs he does not like for the game. So this just seems like (another) waste of time.
  • DarkTitan94DarkTitan94 Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171009Members
    i think they should buff up the aliens a little more, i mean come on marines get weapons 3 and armor 3 and ur done man, aliens cant continue to increase the potency and armor
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2024815:date=Nov 15 2012, 08:37 PM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Nov 15 2012, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024815"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->rofl, fortunately they'd be balancing NS2 instead of whatever game you're talking about.

edit: Seriously though, this seems like the third waste of time. Charlie will consider competitive player's opinions if they're emailed with rational arguments or if he sees a trend in competitive VODs he does not like for the game. So this just seems like (another) waste of time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Even if no balance team is created, can we all agree that it's not fun to have the game changing every week with seemingly extreme balance changes?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2024472:date=Nov 15 2012, 12:45 PM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Nov 15 2012, 12:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->100% need balance team. The game is to complex and hard for people that don't really actually play the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Pretty much yeah, the current PT team does give feedback about certain things. But we simply do not have enough time, with the main focus on getting a stable build out, so our feedback is based on our experience and knowledge about the game, which is plenty of course. Testing out things would require hands on playtesting, instead of basing it on experience. Even the obvious stuff that is good or bad still requires hands on imho...

A dedicated balance team that completely focuses on balance changes would be a good step so they can test out certain builds and changes and give proper feedback instead of the experience and knowledge based, without the proper time to actually test it :)
    I dont really see any extreme balance changes in this patch TBH, the crag change while a bit much was needed, although they shouldnt stack with that kind of healing. The changes to regen were needed but may be a little extreme, but are somewhat tradeddoff by the slower regen in combat still. Cloaking changes are pretty lol IMO, its stupidly obvious when a shade is nearby so you should be on the lookout for it or cloaked skulks then.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2024827:date=Nov 15 2012, 08:50 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Nov 15 2012, 08:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024827"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont really see any extreme balance changes in this patch TBH, the crag change while a bit much was needed, although they shouldnt stack with that kind of healing. The changes to regen were needed but may be a little extreme, but are somewhat tradeddoff by the slower regen in combat still. Cloaking changes are pretty lol IMO, its stupidly obvious when a shade is nearby so you should be on the lookout for it or cloaked skulks then.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not in beta, so you can't use the beta excuse to make balance changes every week without giving them proper testing instead of eyeballing all the values and then adjusting accordingly. You can do this process internally (or voluntarily - with a steam beta) without potentially breaking the game or making something extra annoying or buggy for an indefinite amount of time. That's the whole point, I didn't even go into specifics for this patch or anything.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    I'd rather them fix the actually broken parts ASAP and doing patches as frequently as possible without all this crap of trying to balance things that should be at the bottom of their list. It feels like all of their changes have to have some kind of artistic merit in order to implement. They claimed in their vblog that it is hard to make changes quickly because of all of the thought that must go into it. That is really ridiculous considering how many of their patches have broken something even further that they were intending to fix. Why not just revert fades to how their movement was before or even close to the stats they had in 216, or simple fixes such as the multiple amount of suggestions to depreciate 6 min onos strategy. Instead we get things like passive regen being buffed or flamethrowers having an AoE and have not seen a fix in 2 weeks that could have been implemented in 2 minutes, then tested and released last week. They claim they want to make it easier for newer pub players to understand things like walljump because it is somehow different from bhop even though every single implementation of it that has been released has been terrible and unintuitive. I'm not saying bring back bhop even though that's what should happen, but it really feels like skulks need to start with leap now with how their movement is. Or an upgrade to movement speed even. Simple, easy fixes. Anything to make skulk play having a low skill ceiling due to it being only about tactical play such as massing or hiding as it is now. The biggest problem area however is those newer pub games that they love to balance toward so much, they are at the worst state at the moment with the whole meta being about spamming sentries and 6 min onos. Worse than at the later stages of beta, yet we've been seeing this for 2 weeks already and some getting sick of it and leaving. It might be too late for a turnaround for those players, but I still want the game to continue, definately not as it is now.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Any kind of balance group would be better than no balance group. Out of curiosity, how did Jiriki and others do it with NS1? was there a balance group or was it just changes that had been talked about by the competitive community for the months prior that were implemented?

Even if it was not a perfect group, it would still be better than what goes on now (one man trying to do it all by himself).
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yeah, I agree. I'd really like to see a balance team that could give feedback to Charlie and those that currently make the balance suggestions/decisions.
    If UWE want a balance team, they know where to look for this. The fact that they, or the PT leads, have done NOTHING regarding this to date IMO shows exactly what their stance on this is. To be quite honest there have been community members that have put hundreds of hours of testing/compiling to make documents that have been sent in, and have absolutely NOTHING to show for that work. Not saying they need badges/icons/useless accolades on the forums, but atleast acknowledgement that the documents are even looked at would be nice, no response to me says those documents were thrown in the trash.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->+1

I think even casual pub players could agree that having experienced competitive players discuss and test balance changes would be better than leaving the job to one man who rarely gets a chance to actually play the game himself.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'm with dragon and eh on this. I've been a minor participant in two or three "balance groups" over the course of the beta. We would spend hours discussing changes, proposing ideas, and covering every avenue of NS2 play in the documents. Little was done with the ideas. I don't think the documents were ignored, but they were still inefficient at effecting change.

I think it is a waste of time.

In regards to the changes, Mendasp is right. The wild experiments that we constantly saw in the beta do not belong in the live game. The problem with this stance is that there are still big problems that will need some experimenting to fix (onos drops, tres drops in general, skulk movement, alien midgame, mines). I prefer small and quick changes over big and slow changes. IE I'd like to see fade's health bumped by 25 this week, reevaluated and then bumped by 25 more the next week instead of having it buffed by 100 for a month.

I think the key to balancing is not causing wild swings in balance. You can achieve this with small, frequent changes.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    I made a similar point to this in the feedback for 229 thread.

I remember testing the beta and having to relearn the game every couple of weeks. Spending hundreds of hours practicing wall jump only to have my time wasted when wall jump was removed. I came to terms with it, and was forever telling people who got annoyed at the imbalance that it was "only a beta".

Well, the game isn't a beta anymore. EVERY build should be as balanced as possible before it is released, i know charlie is busy, but to hear that this patch was released with him giving no attention to balance explains a lot and quite honestly scares the **** out of me.

Either the changes need to be so small that they cant throw the game out of balance too much, or they need to be thoroughly tested by a balance team whose suggestions are given serious weight, or they need to happen so seldom that the community doesn't mind a short period of imbalance every few months.

Forcing people just bought the game to relearn every 2 weeks and put up with a massive imbalance between the two sides is going to turn at least some people away from the game at a time when we all want as many as possible to join, enjoy the game, and advertise it by word of mouth.

People will be much less likely to recommend that their friends buy a game that is currently untested for balance.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    @GORGEous, Eh, Dragon

The key factors I've seen leading to the dissolving of the community "balance groups" in the past have been 1 to 3 of the following.

1.No or poor leadership. You need one or two people behind it all organising people and keeping them together, or everyone eventually stops participating.
    2.No tangible results for our efforts. Having the group officially sanctioned by UWE, given access to upcoming changes with the devs encouraging and taking feedback on board.
    3.Direct discouragement from the devs, won't go into this one.
    edited November 2012
    I would agree, Id say our last attempt (i think you were in on that one also somewhat) was while small in numbers, well organized and we actually had frequent and long discussions, talking about some good ideas/concepts for hours while drafting notes. What killed most of our interest there was lack of feedback, 3 or 4 documents sent in and we didnt recieve any feedback besides some through 'un-official' channels, which wasnt even about developer feedback/thoughts.

I would say in the end that some people around would still be willing to help, and want to. What it really comes down to is how open to direct, honest and focused feedback the developers are, and if they want that kind of feedback at all.
  • DrFlammableDrFlammable Join Date: 2012-04-18 Member: 150705Members
    edited November 2012
    seems like a lot of problems would be solved by having a competitive/balance mod
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    +1

Also, it'd be nice to see a decent amount of clan/geographic diversity within such a group, and perhaps even a couple of non-competitive players.
    I say this because as much as there are (and always will be) dominant strategies, some people/clans play the game quite differently.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2025082:date=Nov 16 2012, 09:02 AM:name=DrFlammable)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrFlammable @ Nov 16 2012, 09:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->seems like a lot of problems would be solved by having a competitive/balance mod<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Competitive mod's only work in communities with millions of players.

NS2 is simply to small to segregate the competitive community from the rest of the pubbers. You would effectively make them have to learn the game twice should they ever want to step into competitive play, 99% of people will not do this.

FYI, the only competitive mod I can remember working successfully was COD4-promod. Even then, all it did was remove dust from the map, remove the stupid weapons and provide a ready up function.

Balance changes must come from UWE, NS2 simply is not big enough for a promod scene.