Is anyone going to fix metacritic?!?!?

PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
<div class="IPBDescription">The mistake is actually extremely damaging to the game.</div>It bugs the hell out of me. Horrible review with a lot of vague and incorrect info.That 6/10 score by Gamespot was removed like a week ago, but it is still severely hurting Ns2's metacritic score. They finally made a new review and put up an 8/10 But still....

The mistake is actually extremely damaging to the game. You should do whatever you can to pull that grade off of metacritic.

Comments

• FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    They're taking the "rules are rules" approach. The devs have expressed their displeasure, which strongly hints that maybe nothing can me done :(
    I can't believe salaries out there hinge on this spotty system.
  • Dark_DragonDark_Dragon Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63229Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    Metacritic wont remove the scores effect on the games rating unfortunately, though it was stated that gamespot and metacritic are owned by the same parent company, so if they stepped in maybe.

Blame gamespot more for letting a freelance reviewer do something that they knew was an important 1-shot go.

For the record <a href="http://www.cbsinteractive.com/" target="_blank">CBS Interactive</a> is the owner of both companies. Perhaps a petition to them would get something done, but major companies are notoriously stubborn.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    The only thing that can be done now is to capitalize that somehow. Getting websites to write about it, so that there is at least some free publicity.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The mistake is actually extremely damaging to the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you sure about that ? Does someone knows anybody that gives a crap about metacritic?
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023516:date=Nov 14 2012, 07:57 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Nov 14 2012, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023516"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you sure about that ? Does someone knows anybody that gives a crap about metacritic?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unfortunately, a lot of people give a crap about metacritic. <a href="http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2012/03/obsidian-entertainment-is-in-serious-trouble-thanks-to-stupid-goddamn-metacritic/" target="_blank">Example here.</a>
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023516:date=Nov 14 2012, 08:57 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Nov 14 2012, 08:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023516"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you sure about that ? Does someone knows anybody that gives a crap about metacritic?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

UW do <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123912&view=findpost&p=2022910" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=2022910</a>
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This is largely the reason I don't use reviews or review aggregators to make my gaming purchases. However, there is always the option of a petition through a site such as change.org to hopefully convince metacritic to reverse their poor decision.
    <!--quoteo(post=2023519:date=Nov 14 2012, 08:59 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Nov 14 2012, 08:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unfortunately, a lot of people give a crap about metacritic. <a href="http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2012/03/obsidian-entertainment-is-in-serious-trouble-thanks-to-stupid-goddamn-metacritic/" target="_blank">Example here.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hopefully UWE is not counting on a bonus from a publisher, so that should be fine.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2023534:date=Nov 14 2012, 01:08 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Nov 14 2012, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023534"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hopefully UWE is not counting on a bonus from a publisher, so that should be fine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They are their own publisher effectively, the problem is that the metacritic score is posted directly on their steam store page so naturally they would want it to reflect the actual reviews they received and not include the pulled gamespot review.
    edited November 2012
    I can understand they get pissed off by this, I'm just skeptical about causation from metacritic score to sales, before I see some data supporting the theory.

I'm also a bit surprised by people caring for something that is so obviously rotten.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023534:date=Nov 14 2012, 12:08 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Nov 14 2012, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023534"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hopefully UWE is not counting on a bonus from a publisher, so that should be fine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It affects their sales.

How are you not drawing a correlation between a poor aggregate review on the largest review site and a decrease in sales?
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023544:date=Nov 14 2012, 01:13 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Nov 14 2012, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023544"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can understand they get pissed off by this, I'm just skeptical about causation from metacritic score to sales, before I see some data supporting the theory.

I'm also a bit surprised by people caring for something that is so obviously rotten.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd say we are enthusiasts so we are more likely to take a review or metacritic score with a grain of salt. For the larger portion of consumers they are more willing to trust these metrics as they are being presented as "experts."

Remember, just because you aren't "stupid" doesn't mean there aren't 1000 people willing to make up the difference.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023554:date=Nov 14 2012, 09:18 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Nov 14 2012, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023554"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It affects their sales.

How are you not drawing a correlation between a poor aggregate review on the largest review site and a decrease in sales?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know, maybe nobody gives a crap about metacritic score ? That's a theory I elaborated from personal experience.

I wouldn't be surprised too see a correlation though, but there is a big confounding factor there that might make the causality hard to demonstrate.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    UWE can't do anything. The NS community alone is powerless as well, however, Metacritic is already on shakey ground after the Obsidian Entertainment thing. Public pressure in this case won't be a bad thing.

<a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/135zrn/one_of_the_most_evil_organizations_in_gaming/" target="_blank">http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/135...ions_in_gaming/</a>

The big issues here are that Metacritics metrics system is private and not clearly visible, and thus highly vulnerable to corruption, and their policies do not allow journalists to make mistakes, they do not allow game developers to patch issues, and they just do not work well for gaming.

Raising awareness as a fan base is a start... We really need some large gaming journalists or public figures willing to tackle the issue as well.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    The main issue, as some linked above is that future investments and so forth CAN be based off metacritic score. Yes, this may suck and all that but that's how it is for UWE.
    Seems like having a low score is a great tool to keep stupid investors away then ;)
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    I've only seen one reviewer that actually gets it right for me, some probably know him, he's had a lot more traffic to his youtube/website lately simply due to his honest, analytic and comedic style that brings out a lot more than just a useless idiot droning on about how this game is awesome and without going into any depth.

AngryJoe - Check him out, does some stellar, top-quality reviews. Even though it's a long shot, I hope he does NS2. As with most "professional" reviews, I almost never take them seriously or to heart. Most of them are blatant lies for cash or convoluted without any clear distinction or relevance to the game itself. Actual gamers who know what makes an excellent game are far better.

On metacritic, just die in a fire. I've never touched that website until this recent Gamespot fiasco and I never intend to look at it again. The fact that arbitrary numbers are what makes or breaks a lot of games is disgusting.
  • grayfox1840grayfox1840 Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171112Members
    I think the review is fair. i was recommended this game by someone and so far i have had nothing but pure regret. the performance is absolutely horrible. the server browser doesn't even work 80% of the time and when it does there aren't even any servers to play on. overall i am extremely dissatisfied with this game and i will NEVER be buying another game from this company nor will i ever recommend the game to anyone.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Not sure if there are enough of us, but someone should make a petition to send metacritic.

There is a difference between revising scores, and canning a bad review. Metacritic need to recognize this in their policy.
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
    Metacritic recently raped The Secret World, by counting some ######-ass BLOG with not a shred of professionalism (Quarter to Three) who gave the game a purely troll rating of 4/10. Later "reviews" by this horrible website has made it all too transparent that the "writer" was rooting for Guild Wars 2, I mean seriously, this pile of crap system needs to be torn down.
  • hatehate Join Date: 2011-07-19 Member: 111206Members
    edited November 2012
    While I don't disagree with the rule that they're citing, I do think metacritic is terrible. I honestly didn't realize anybody paid attention to it, I thought the fact that gaming journalism is a joke was pretty well known lol.

I don't think it's hurting the game at all though, really. If you pay any attention at all, it's pretty easy to notice what's going on... I honestly don't think that having a 79/100 is gonna turn anyone off. I will agree that the game deserves a higher score in comparison to some of the other things on metacritic... this game is MUCH better than Tribes Ascend, which has a 86/100 some how :/
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    I made this post; <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=123912&view=findpost&p=2023749" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=2023749</a>

Which basically says, unlike other reviewing bodies that may issue a low rating, this particular review was pulled due to inaccuracy. At this point Metacritic is willfully publishing incorrect information, which could cause major financial harm to UWE.

Here's an interesting analysis of review scores vs sales and review scores vs player perception. If anything, people here are underestimating the impact this poor review score will have.

<a href="http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-power-of-review-scores-why-critics-have-more-control-than-we-think1" target="_blank">http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-a...-than-we-think1</a>
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    <!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro-->Let's not get carried away here. --Zaggy<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited November 2012
    Just get more reviews. It'll balance out. NS2 is on 79 a the moment. It won't need much to tip it back over 80. And I don't think we'll get any more below 80. It's a shame though that UWE will always have to deal with that pimple, on an otherwise good set of reviews, bringing the score down.

It could have potential to reach 85 with more reviews (may have been easier without the 60/100 though). I don't think it's in any danger of going above 90 though with or without that bad review.
  • cyhawkcyhawk Join Date: 2004-06-12 Member: 29256Members
    Ok, so I read about metacritic's critics (heh), and read about it here and all their evils. I've only been familiar with them from Movie reviews (which I hate anyways, Siskle and Ebert gave the 1989 Batman two thumbs down. Screw them, I loved it as a kid) so I researched a bit more and found this

<a href="http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/natural-selection-2" target="_blank">http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/natural-selection-2</a>

Its currently sitting at 79 with the only bad review coming from that bull###### Gamespot article which has since been removed. Is a 79 bad?
  • dethfielddethfield Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165197Members
    Im going to have to call BS on it "damaging the game". By this point, pretty much every gamer on earth knows that review sites are completely worthless when it comes to accurately rating games. Anyone who would actually take their scores as any sort of truth probably A) would not enjoy the game anyway and B) would most likely lack the intelligence to play the game properly.

Review sites have been pretty much worthless for many years now.
  • morpherubianmorpherubian Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167325Members
    After 229 build didnt help me out with my server-connection problems (couldnt establish connection...) and the serverlist still breaks down my whole internet connection - i m so annoyed, that i really couldnt care less about a 60 points review.

Even though i know the background story about the 60 points review - at this very moment i would rate NS2 around 60 too, as it has connectivity and performance problems, which are unbearable for me.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024058:date=Nov 14 2012, 10:20 PM:name=morpherubian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (morpherubian @ Nov 14 2012, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After 229 build didnt help me out with my server-connection problems (couldnt establish connection...) and the serverlist still breaks down my whole internet connection - i m so annoyed, that i really couldnt care less about a 60 points review.

Even though i know the background story about the 60 points review - at this very moment i would rate NS2 around 60 too, as it has connectivity and performance problems, which are unbearable for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The thing is, pretty much every game has this, where certain systems just do not like it for whatever reason. At a certain point you can't really blame the devs for it. It's the fault of PC as a computing standard. It's not fair to review a game badly because your system can't handle it for some unknown reason.

I know the feeling. I bought Civ 4 at launch price and it would reliably crash after 30 minutes. I had the same thing with skyrim until the patch that came out about a month and a half after release. It's REALLY ###### when that happens, but that's just the reality of being a PC gamer.
  • False ModestyFalse Modesty Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167677Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023559:date=Nov 14 2012, 03:23 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Nov 14 2012, 03:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know, maybe nobody gives a crap about metacritic score ? That's a theory I elaborated from personal experience.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And your theory is obviously true, because you can know everybody and can read their minds.
  • Fuse404Fuse404 Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 158023Members
    The best and only thing that any of us can really do is to stop paying any attention to Metacritic. As TotalBiscuit has been saying: find reviewers you trust and follow them, don't put your faith in businesses. I know it won't really help NS2, but the only way to stop this kind of thing in the future is to stop supporting their flawed system with hits.

Seriously, Metacritic is complete malarkey, ignore it until it doesn't matter any more.