Compass is needed

KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
<div class="IPBDescription">and in-game maps need to be overhauled</div>Hi lads and lasses,

after haveing put 50h into NS2 since the late beta, I still have some problems with orientation on maps. This is due to two reasons:

1. Maps (I mean the in game map sketch, not the actual architecure).
I still haven't figured out what they actually show, but I can say, they don't show you the way. It sometimes seems they tell you line of sight instead of ways you can tread on. It happened all to often to me that I wanted to haste from one room to the other only to find the corridor which is shown on the map is a big window.
Also for some reason there sometimes is a line between rooms on the map where ther is actually a passage in game. Vents are not always marked in the orange colour I understand they should be indicated with. It is really confusing and just feels like a not updated version of an older map layout that is not valid anymore.
Since noone brought this up before, I was a little reluctant to post this; maybe I just haven't figured it out yet? In this case, feel free to give me some hints.

2. Lack of a compass.
This is not so much an issue when playing marines, as they already have a map in the upper corner of their HUD. But as an alien, especially as a celerity-going-with-the-speed-of-light-creature it is really tiresome to bring up the map every second to know which direction you have to go.
Now, I oppose the idea of giving aliens a map too, as it doesn't fit the lore. Instead I propose giving them a compass!
This would enable me to know the general direction I'm heading and can be easily explained as receptors for magnetic fields are also found in rl animal and bacterial kingdom. migrant birds for example can sense the earths magnetic field through tiny magnetite crystals in their eyes.

I feel that fixing the above mentioned points would lead to a much more fluent and comfortable game and I don't see a reason not to include a compass for aliens (you could also make it optional, so vets can deactivate it for a tidier interface).

Comments

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    as you play more you'll learn the maps like the back of your hand and you'll barely need the map to know where you're going and only checking it to see wheres being hit
  • SmellyPantsSmellyPants Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166704Members
    Play the game long enough, and you don't really need the map. Only time I really use the map anymore is for a refresher on location names. Have you played other games, ie. Counter Strike? Sure, the maps are smaller, but I know every nook and cranny when it comes to the default maps.

Another note, as alien, get used to both normal vision / alien vision -- as it makes the map look entirely different if you get used to just one or the other.
  • ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    Imo the maps work just fine they are there to give you a general layout. The rooms looking like they connect to other rooms can't really be fixed without literally editing the map (mapo you walk on not look at) which is a lot of work. It shouldn't take you long to realize what is what and where you can and cant go on the overview map.

I don't really see the point to the compass either. You can press C to see which direction you're going no need for another (imo redundant) HUD element. and once again, it doesn't take long to get the general feel of a level and no which way is north just by looking around.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    Ye, I'm aware that I will eventually won't need the map anymore. But it just is a flawed argument if you ask me. As i said, I've have been playing for some time and still don't know my way around every map (which is partly due to some repetative level design). It just would be really helpfull for newbs and ppl who don't get to play every day (or even every week).
    And I also play with alien vision off most of the time, as I can better estimate who well marines can see me.
    Also, maps just give wrong directions. If you ask me, this is something that really should be fixed.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    I don't think a compass would help. As you learn the maps, you won't feel a need to bring up your minimap to orient yourself. Some minimaps are actually notoriously horrible, e.g. mineshaft (which took me quite a while to learn due to its crappy minimap and broken-up/complex nature.

However, having the minimap open a LOT is a necessity of the game. Unless your commander is excellent (which is what I prefer), you're going to be holding your minimap open a lot on both alien and marine side to see where you are needed / where the enemy is pushing / where you should be going / to get a feel of the overall situation... so, get used to it.
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i experienced a good map knowledge after commanding some games. you have such a good overview and map location names, that i just needed 1 or 2 games on a map to know it perfectly :)
    try it!

tipp: alien commander isnt hard as marine commander ;)
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    learning maps is part and parcel of improving at the game.

other games have maps that are more easy to learn, but this is one of the things that makes NS2 stand out from the rest. it's not symmetrical, it does have confusing corridors and vents - especially with alien vision or rich infestation. this is a good thing because it raises the skill ceiling that little bit more.
  • SupernaturalCookieSupernaturalCookie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167360Members
    The argument to simply 'learn the map' is an extremely bad one when the game's map doesn't actually represent the level properly. Its somewhat strange that the maps you have to go by are often completely wrong. Showing you paths you should be able to take, but when you go there, you're greeted by a wall of some kind.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2020689:date=Nov 12 2012, 10:21 PM:name=SupernaturalCookie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupernaturalCookie @ Nov 12 2012, 10:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The argument to simply 'learn the map' is an extremely bad one when the game's map doesn't actually represent the level properly. Its somewhat strange that the maps you have to go by are often completely wrong. Showing you paths you should be able to take, but when you go there, you're greeted by a wall of some kind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    After learning the map running into dead ends won't happen
  • SupernaturalCookieSupernaturalCookie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167360Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020692:date=Nov 12 2012, 05:54 AM:name=Volcano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volcano @ Nov 12 2012, 05:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After learning the map running into dead ends won't happen<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It also doesn't fix the problem.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020689:date=Nov 12 2012, 12:51 PM:name=SupernaturalCookie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupernaturalCookie @ Nov 12 2012, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The argument to simply 'learn the map' is an extremely bad one when the game's map doesn't actually represent the level properly. Its somewhat strange that the maps you have to go by are often completely wrong. Showing you paths you should be able to take, but when you go there, you're greeted by a wall of some kind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

learn the physical entity map, not the 'cavern A-Z' map.

/minifacepalm
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I will agree that the minimaps are outdated and need to be re-done to reflect the actual layout of the map.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>KwisatzHaderach:</b></u>

Even fairly new players learn the map quickly. . .

Games are long and good commander will call out the name of a room they want you to go to and give you a waypoint so even if you didn't know what to do you will now
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    I agree with the OP, imo it's really not fun pressing "C" to open the map every time I want to go somewhere (also sometimes it just leads you to a dead end)... Yes with time you will learn the map and not need to open the minimap any more but what's the harm in making that learning process a little better and more enjoyable? Not to mention newer playes will probably have more trouble navigating the maps in NS2 due to their complex nature.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020633:date=Nov 12 2012, 12:15 PM:name=SmellyPants)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmellyPants @ Nov 12 2012, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Play the game long enough, and you don't really need the map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Too easy. Before even joining a server, build a 1:1 replica of the map,,,
  • SmellyPantsSmellyPants Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166704Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020836:date=Nov 12 2012, 07:01 AM:name=Namm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namm @ Nov 12 2012, 07:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Too easy. Before even joining a server, build a 1:1 replica of the map,,,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020836:date=Nov 12 2012, 04:01 PM:name=Namm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namm @ Nov 12 2012, 04:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Too easy. Before even joining a server, build a 1:1 replica of the map,,,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

in progress... wife is not to happy about the hole im digging in the backyard (maybe i shouldn't have started with crevice)
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    The maps are fine, mineshaft needs a few tweaks to make it clearer where boundaries are in some spots. There are some spots there that look like they should be open corridors but they aren't. Other than that the, maps accurately represent things. If you're saying you don't know which way to turn it's cause you can't read a map and don't know the levels.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    of course one should and will learn the maps while playing, but some maps displaying nothing in orange and lying to you about where passages are needs to go
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    as long as it can be disabled.... I may like it, but at this point i dont need it....
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some of the minimaps are very badly lacking, way too many misleading connections between rooms that are actually solid walls, generally misleading room shapes, etc. Mineshaft is an incredibly blatant offender, that map is such a pain in the butt to navigate.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    I have my map open ALL the time, not because I need directions, but because I like to see what's going on.

seriously, it's not that hard to learn the maps, it's also not hard to press C.

If I am truly lost (which is very rare, probably only happens in mineshaft), i open the map and spin around a bit while doing it so my characater icon is easily spotted.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Compass?
    What is this, Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013?

Come to think of it, a hunting simulator with NS2 creatures might be awesome.
  • WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
    There is a excellent Semi Transparent Map mod. It is absolutey amazing. It makes navigating so much easier
    <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106432270&searchtext=" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...amp;searchtext=</a>

But onto your problem. I agree a compass would be appropriate.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021099:date=Nov 12 2012, 08:46 PM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Nov 12 2012, 08:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have my map open ALL the time, not because I need directions, but because I like to see what's going on.

seriously, it's not that hard to learn the maps, it's also not hard to press C.

If I am truly lost (which is very rare, probably only happens in mineshaft), i open the map and spin around a bit while doing it so my characater icon is easily spotted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. Having the map open all the time isn't an option as it is sort of distracting from combat.
    2. It is hard to learn the maps. Maybe not for someone who plays 24/7, but for the average jack who gets to play maybe 1h/d on average and thus spents 15 mins on one map/d it is. Map layoout is complex and it is not open like BF3 or something where you see a spot and can just take any route there. It is closed and got alot of dead ends (typically with a door texture on it) and also hasn't got a large amount of obvious landmarks either.
    3. No need to spin around: when you open your map, the arrow actually zooms in on your position.

4. and foremost: your points don't change anything about the bloody map being broken. This is really not a kind of attitude that will help the new crowd (and lets just hope they will keep coming). Sorry, not everyone has been playing since the alpha and knows every map like the back of their hands. It's not hard to scrape up enough empathy to understand that it is frustrating if you want to help your team as a newb, but instead of going to the dying hive you keep running against walls.
    I'm also not asking UWE to rebuild the maps but just simply make a new sketch of the actual maps.
  • m42m42 Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147923Members
    I know right? People were so lost in the original cs or quake without any maps or indicators or sparkly lights to show you were to go. How did people ever learn those maps?

Why is it everyone needs their hands held these days or they start freaking out. Start your own server and run around like a nut. I haven't played refinery once in a real game, but i can tell you where everything is because i spent 10 minutes running around on it.
    <!--quoteo(post=2021213:date=Nov 12 2012, 10:14 PM:name=m42)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m42 @ Nov 12 2012, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know right? People were so lost in the original cs or quake without any maps or indicators or sparkly lights to show you were to go. How did people ever learn those maps?

Why is it everyone needs their hands held these days or they start freaking out. Start your own server and run around like a nut. I haven't played refinery once in a real game, but i can tell you where everything is because i spent 10 minutes running around on it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know right? Because Dune II and Warcraft II didn't have a map either. Ppl were really tough back in the olden days!
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    would prefer more distinctive rooms maybe with landmarks like cave / lava falls / landing

i will probably still need to consult a map for basic navigation purposes after 20 hours on it. something about repetitive corridors just makes them hard to learn
  • m42m42 Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147923Members
    Hmm FPS vs an RTS game. How about if you need a top down view, maybe step in the command chair? Just a thought... What a genius idea!