ESL NS2 Release Tournament Excitement Tread!

13»

Comments

• BeberBeber Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145136Members
    It really was a nice event, really pushing the competitive scene to the next level. Whoever set this up really did an amazing work, there were so many people in the studio just working to make this as good as possible. Everything went great, no crash, no bug, (no ban), etc., so really props to anyone involved in here.

For future events, we can also say that there is "room for improvement". Which is obvious since this was a first for NS2, but still noteworthy:
    - As said before, casters missed a lot of actions, said some wrong things, etc. I'm pretty sure they even missed the ending of game 2, and some other important moments.
    - 720p stream. 480p was... hurting my eyes.
    - I know big streams like to have a cute woman, but Melly looked so out of place. I'm sure she's nice, but on camera, it looked like she was about to faint every time she had to speak. So uncomfortable.
    - More structured interviews with players (as long as they're here, let's harass them). There just was the quick questions after game 4 IIRC, with Squirelli and Fana, and some random questions at the end. It would have been nice to have some more insight from the players on the games (for example on veil, with both team overcommitting on Nano as aliens). Obviously not between every game, but I really thought there'd be a more interesting chat/interview at the end.
    - Prizes? I know teams got paid trip, but I thought they announced prizes.
    - Maybe more camera/mic work on the teams. We could sometime hear shouting in the background, but no idea who/what for.

On the plus side:
    - Really nice setup overall. It was great to see NS2 on that stage.
    - ESL casters seemed to know the game. I was a little bit worried about that.
    - Matches were awesome, players too. Really intense, and I have to see that last game again.
    - I hear duplex are pretty cool.
    - blind <3
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2018780:date=Nov 10 2012, 11:01 PM:name=Princess_of_Power)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Princess_of_Power @ Nov 10 2012, 11:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm Fana, from exertus<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh man. I misunderstood where the ESL guy said I should go for the interview, so I ended up butting into an already running interview, and disrupting the cameraman in the process; and completely lost my focus when I got pulled back to the right location. :D

<!--quoteo(post=2019427:date=Nov 11 2012, 12:00 PM:name=Beber)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beber @ Nov 11 2012, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It really was a nice event, really pushing the competitive scene to the next level. Whoever set this up really did an amazing work, there were so many people in the studio just working to make this as good as possible. Everything went great, no crash, no bug, (no ban), etc., so really props to anyone involved in here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Awesome, awesome event. The ESL studio, setup and employees are really impressive.

<!--quoteo(post=2019427:date=Nov 11 2012, 12:00 PM:name=Beber)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beber @ Nov 11 2012, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everything went great, no crash, no bug, (no ban), etc., so really props to anyone involved in here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tane had some problems with his computer over the course of the rounds, but fortunately it didn't affect the game much. Other than that, it was silky smooth. Very professionaly run event.

<!--quoteo(post=2019427:date=Nov 11 2012, 12:00 PM:name=Beber)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beber @ Nov 11 2012, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- More structured interviews with players (as long as they're here, let's harass them). There just was the quick questions after game 4 IIRC, with Squirelli and Fana, and some random questions at the end. It would have been nice to have some more insight from the players on the games (for example on veil, with both team overcommitting on Nano as aliens). Obviously not between every game, but I really thought there'd be a more interesting chat/interview at the end.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The interviews were a bit anemic, I agree. Mostly superficial or "funny" questions. I'm sure many in the audience and on the stream would have appreciated some gameplay analysis.

<!--quoteo(post=2019427:date=Nov 11 2012, 12:00 PM:name=Beber)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beber @ Nov 11 2012, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Prizes? I know teams got paid trip, but I thought they announced prizes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The tournament was originally announced with prizes (see the original UWE news announcement and the ESL news post), but was later changed to no prizes due to high travel costs. Honestly, I don't think any of the players had any problems with this, although we were of course initially a little bit disappointed. We had an amazing couple of days in Cologne and that's more than enough considering the current size of the community -- if this event is successful in motivating more players and teams into joining competitive play, and UWE can justify the costs financially (this event was not cheap, I can guarantee you that), we'll hopefully see more like it in the future, possibly with prizes.

We did talk to Flayra about possibly getting some commemorative effects though, like t-shirts or ingame icons, which would be nice.

<!--quoteo(post=2019427:date=Nov 11 2012, 12:00 PM:name=Beber)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beber @ Nov 11 2012, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Maybe more camera/mic work on the teams. We could sometime hear shouting in the background, but no idea who/what for.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Mostly zups raging/orgasming :D
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I thought it went really well. Was great to see, and I actually thought the casters did a great job, considering they're not casting in the community. Yes things were missed, but watch other sporting events, you cant be everywhere at all times.

Still, great job UWE and all the players! :)
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    This event was absolutely amazing. Thanks a lot to UWE and all of the players, casters, organizers, hosts and the production team!

I was extremely impressed by Jason, he was doing a great job. One thing I would have loved would have been taking Zeikko as a co-caster for one of the matches he did not play in.

It was so strange seeing all of the faces and I'm still guessing who is who... does anyone have a screenshot of the team photos? Unfortunately the names were not in the correct/corresponding order.
  • koewikoewi Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61984Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    we need the vods ... i missed the event and want to watch it :(
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I hope more US teams would form up, so we can do the same for US :D
  • koewikoewi Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61984Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    VOD online :D
    <a href="http://de.twitch.tv/esltv/b/339118814" target="_blank">http://de.twitch.tv/esltv/b/339118814</a>