Res Lock Issue?

2»

Comments

• VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2004823:date=Nov 1 2012, 10:03 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Nov 1 2012, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien recycle would easily solve this problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1. I don't care what anyone says. Recycling gives marines building insurance. Aliens should have the same, asymmetry aside.

Just call it Salvage.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2004831:date=Nov 1 2012, 11:08 AM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 1 2012, 11:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004831"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Regurgitate? Decompose? :-D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've always thought they could repurpose rupture into any alien recycle system.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    edited November 2012
    I understand that a 'good' team would be somewhat insulated from this. However, it's lame that a single awesomely skilled marine can waltz into the hive, kill one structure at the start, and almost guarantee a loss for the aliens team. Unless the aliens are also awesome players, which is unlikely since their res node just got ninja'ed, and immediately suicide rush the marines main base they are SOL. (Even if they are awesome, it takes time to pull back to the hive. One ninja marine will still take that node out before anyone except the commander could react. If he dies, and he probably will, then GG.)

Look, I'm not saying anything other than res lock that early in the game should not be possible. At least as marines you have the option to recycle your way out of a horrible mistake. Yes, you can still be base rushed and all your stuff can be broken. As the marines, why bother hitting the hive when you can simply wack down a much lower HP target in the res node. I know that it won't *always* end in a res lock for the aliens, nor will it * consistently* do so. It's just plain not fun to have this happen though, and with so many new players trying out command this is a real hamstring.

On the flip side, aliens breaking everything on the marines side except the command chair results in a win for the aliens if the commander is dumb enough to get out. No other players will spawn, it would be a team of aliens vs. one guy inside a chair. On the aliens side, only having a hive means the team still spawns, but they spawn into a massacre. I'm not sure which is worse, but I know which one is more likely to occur since I can't really see an entire team of skulks leaving a command chair intact after taking out everything else. Regardless, both teams should not have this as a possibility. When it happens, the match should either end in an automatic win or the team should get one tick of res from the hive/cc. I know it removes that 'chance' to base rush the marines and kill them all, but that 'chance' is a rather slim one that will probably result in the skulks being slowly pushed back as the marines giggle to themselves waiting for Exo's.

I know it's one extra way that the marines trump aliens, but c'mon this is just silly. Even I admit a comeback from this situation is unlikely, but having players locked out of the one feature that makes this game unique is complete horse excrement and completely unfun. You can't fix it with an eject on the commander either, a skilled veteran commander will not pull you back. It's a stupid mechanic, and no defense of it will make it less so.

(EDIT: I honestly could have sworn you got a res tick for hives/cc in NS1, but it's very possible it was a server mod. If it was, it was a very common server mod.)
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2004927:date=Nov 1 2012, 08:15 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Nov 1 2012, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004927"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(EDIT: I honestly could have sworn you got a res tick for hives/cc in NS1, but it's very possible it was a server mod. If it was, it was a very common server mod.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No such mod existed to my knowledge; it certainly wasn't very common.