Aliens aren't underpowered

2»

Comments

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited October 2012
    I agree aliens are hardly fun, I used to play nothing but in the 180-190 builds and now I wont touch them with a 20 foot pole. I think this is mostly because the 2 cheapest lifeforms are dull and rather weak while the other two are strong but simplistic and not very rewarding to play once the novelty wears off.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    gibe responsive movement akin to build 222 marines and better wall-jump plskthx
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Snip.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    [...]aliens have the short end of the stick at the moment.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The FPS increase, together with the marine movement "improvement" (acceleration?) and the air-bounce in 222/3 has made Aliens a lot more painful to play for me personally. I think as FPS improves even more, it'll only get harder.

That said, I'm still trying to adjust to the 222/3 changes, so I can't really say, but I've lost a lot of enjoyment from playing aliens this patch for some reason - and I actually like playing aliens more usually...
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1991202:date=Oct 15 2012, 12:07 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Oct 15 2012, 12:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991202"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>RANT</b>

Well here are some simple comparisons which I think go a long way to explaining why people prefer marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with everything you said. hopefully UWE will wake up.

I almost exclusively play aliens unless the teams need evening, skulk is my favourite and i would consider my self above average as a skulk, but theres only so much you can do, fade or onos is the only two things worth spending res on and even fades are weak when theres 3 or 4 marines with Jp's and sg's in a room. (12v12)

Its skulk movement though thats the issue, its not responsive, its slow, leap is slow and you dont get much height and to top it off the skulk is huge, skulk does not scale hes usless after 15 mins you go fade you die your forced to play the pits of the aliens team, you might aswell just run in with xeno...but even xeno SUCKS!!!

Im embarrassed, i gave my extra invite to a friend and told him the game is pretty good we can play aliens together and go around chomping. I feel hes gonna be more pissed at ns2 and dismiss the game after one night of playing and for good reason.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1991530:date=Oct 15 2012, 01:00 PM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Oct 15 2012, 01:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its skulk movement though thats the issue, its not responsive, its slow, leap is slow and you dont get much height and to top it off the skulk is huge, skulk does not scale hes usless after 15 mins you go fade you die your forced to play the pits of the aliens team, you might aswell just run in with xeno...but even xeno SUCKS!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Code please message me privately and I'll add you on steam. I'll run you through how amazing skulk can be when you combine it with a few movement tricks most people arn't aware of.

With a few of these tricks I find skulk movement speed so fast its hard to control. Fade is amazingly strong as well, so not sure what your talking about.
  • DarksterDarkster Join Date: 2010-02-17 Member: 70612Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Why not just make a video? Not sure how other people are supposed to learn these tricks.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1991543:date=Oct 15 2012, 01:40 PM:name=Darkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Darkster @ Oct 15 2012, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not just make a video? Not sure how other people are supposed to learn these tricks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hmm good idea. I'll try and do this when I'm home from work.
  • DystoDysto Join Date: 2007-10-05 Member: 62545Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1991543:date=Oct 14 2012, 11:40 PM:name=Darkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Darkster @ Oct 14 2012, 11:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not just make a video? Not sure how other people are supposed to learn these tricks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFE... This is just dumb, everytime I join a server and I ask how to do these "tricks" people just say "Use walls, and ceilings"........ I am. And I do not feel even a bit faster. I might get a bit of a speed increase from the ceiling jump, but I don't understand how to keep the momentum or how to do anything with it... Besides, when I do use it, by the time I get on the ceiling I'm dead from marine attacks anyway, so by the time I get the speed increase I'm already dead (Yes, I could sit and wait for 2-3 minutes each attack...but really? Is this really what UWE wants us to do? If so.. I'm not on board). This is TOO MUCH of a learning curve for new players, and I do not think that many people will want to improve, considering how hard it is to get the hang of.
  • DarksterDarkster Join Date: 2010-02-17 Member: 70612Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Yeah I've been tinkering a bit with it as well. I can't seem to nail walljump -> ceiling. Feels like I'm glued to the wall and when I finally break free I have little to no momentum.
    edited October 2012
    If your interested in learning it-> see below :)

You can effectively maintain speed 9-11 by using the following technique:

Ceiling Drop > Wall jump -> Walljump to ceiling -> Ceiling Drop

or

Ceiling Drop > Walljump to floor to Walljump to Floor to Walljump

The faster/steeper the angle you fall, the faster you go. When transversing the map you want to find a balance between maintaining speed and moving around the map. I've only seen myself and a few others i've explained it too use it on the aussie servers.
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    what's the command to see the movement speed?
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991552:date=Oct 15 2012, 06:07 AM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Oct 15 2012, 06:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991552"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If your interested in learning it-> see below :)

You can effectively maintain speed 9-11 by using the following technique:

Ceiling Drop > Wall jump -> Walljump to ceiling -> Ceiling Drop

or

Ceiling Drop > Walljump to floor to Walljump to Floor to Walljump

The faster/steeper the angle you fall, the faster you go. When transversing the map you want to find a balance between maintaining speed and moving around the map. I've only seen myself and a few others i've explained it too use it on the aussie servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you sure its faster? By the sounds of it, I would be surprised if it was. Try timing yourself a long your ideal route, but it should be at least the distance of, say, flight control to atrium. If its more than 5-10% faster I would say its worth doing, less than that and I think its needless complication. As for evasiveness, people who I've seen do this during combat are exceedingly easy to hit while they return to the roof phase. I guess you need to make sure you land on the guy on your first jump.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991575:date=Oct 15 2012, 12:25 AM:name=Cico)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cico @ Oct 15 2012, 12:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what's the command to see the movement speed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

debugspeed

Cheats need to be enabled.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Don't know why the walljump mechanic requires you to jump off a ceiling...
  • DavidhenDavidhen Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162225Members
    what about making wall jump into an attack? sort of like a passive leap. when jumping off walls or ceilings your skulk extends his massive bloody claws and just lands on the marine, with perhaps a 20% increase to jump distance off a wall or ceiling?. maybe like 20-40 dmg?

dont make it so you can just jump up and down on the spot doing dmg.

that might make it a bit more interesting. and mobile in combat. would add a higer skill ceiling too i would imagine.