Small niggles/requests before release

Comments

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    15 - movement is what i consider the most important

go play ns2c and play on marines, feels so crisp and smooth.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1987146:date=Oct 4 2012, 07:01 PM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Oct 4 2012, 07:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987146"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Think about that for a moment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not saying I don't think it should be in the game. I'm saying if you make it an option, nobody would ever turn that option on. While we're at it, let's make the distortion effects of the shade ink an option, the lerk spores opacity a slider, etc. etc.

I know a lot of the hardcore/competitive players don't like gameplay which affects visibility and hearing (sidenote: another parallel with CS:GO where CS 1.6/S people whined so much about the distance fog that they made "competitive" versions of the maps with the fog disabled) - but I happen to like them. Speaking of which, I remember that the gorge spit actually caused a "splash" to be drawn on the marines' view and obscured vision a while ago when I started playing... was that scrapped or am I getting it confused with something else?
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    Please for the love of god fix the medpack and nano shield issues.

medpack issue: Try to place multiple medpacks, mispress a button, and select the marine, meaning that you are no longer on the medpack menu.

medpack solution: Change commander interface, so that one can hold shift to place multiple items. Whilst shift is held, it is not possible to select building or marines. So you could place two ips, by going to place one ip, and holding shift as you place the first, you still have a ghost ip for a cursor, and can place a second (or third) with another click. If you release shift when you place the second ip, the ip is placed, and you no longer have a ghost ip for a cursor.

Nanoshield issue: It should not be possible to nanoshield the floor. Nanoshield, should only be able to be directed at actual objects that can be nanoshielded, not dead marines, not the floor.

I have no idea how to fix this; please fix it, or ill be sending a letter to jimmy savilles gold plated coffin.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1987069:date=Oct 4 2012, 02:46 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Oct 4 2012, 02:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987069"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro--><b>(1) Cyst bug:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Sometimes the alien starting hive harvester will not have cysts leading up to it, giving aliens an additional cost at the start of the round and causing damage to the harvester.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>(2) Pistol bug:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Sometimes, when switching to the pistol, it will not fire. The only way to un-jam it, is to switch to another weapon and then back to the pistol. Leads to very frustrating and unfair deaths.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>(5) Feedback delays:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> I know this is largely dependant on latency, for example with regards to the damage indicators and frag messages, which obviously you can't do anything about, but at least you shouldn't make it worse by adding prolonging animations to the feedback. One particularly important example is the health/armor bar. For aliens, especially the fade and lerk, being able to gauge the exact amount of damage you're taking is essential to your survival. Any delay on that information can potentially get you killed due to misleading the player into miscalculating his current position ("can I withstand this DPS or do I have to run away if I want to survive?") -- and it does get me killed on a regular basis as well. Please remove all the non-latency-enforced feedback delays, or at least add an option to turn them off. The excellent <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116254" target="_blank">instant hud mod</a> should provide you with almost everything you need to do this.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>(6) Sound bugs:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> This one might be a little more tricky than the others mentioned so far, but it is a very important one. As discussed in other threads on this forum during the past week, the directional sound sometimes bugs out depending on what speaker configuration you're running or whether or not you're strafing. The sound effects are still not as accurate as they ideally should be either. It has gotten a lot better than it used to be, but it is difficult to gauge exactly where the enemies are located just by the sounds they make. Sometimes they sound like they're right next to you, even though they're really in an entirely different room; other times they sound like they're in the next room even though they're just around the corner.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>(8) Skulk walk key:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Skulks often need to be completely silent in order not to alert the marines of his presence; and thus enablind an ambush. The walk key is the only way for the skulk to move quietly. It is therefore of paramount importance that the walk key provides that function (silent movement) flawlessly in all situations. Currently, however, it does not. I've lost count of the times I've tried to walk as a skulk, but instead of moving me forward it stucks me to some wall, forcing me to use the directional keys to move, alerting all the marines in the vicinity of my presence. The reason for this, is that the skulk extra-sticky wallwalk key is located on the same key as the regular skulk walk. The easiest way to solve the problem is simply to separate the two functions into two separate keys. This problem makes ambushing so difficult right now and I really can't stress enough how important it is that this gets looked at.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>(11) Music volume slider:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Currently there is no way to independently regulate the volume of the game startup music, the victory music or the "command station/hive low health" music. Please add a separate slider, or add these functions to the music volume slider already in the menu.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>(12) Shaky machinegun:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> For some reason, the screen starts shaking a lot whenever you fire the machinegun. This is both disorenting and a nuisance for players. It is the only weapon that has such an effect. Please either remove this effect or make it possible to turn it off in the options menu.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>(15) Acceleration delay on movement:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Currently there is some sort of acceleration delay on movement, particularly noticeable when playing as skulk. While it reacts instantly to keypresses (starts moving the instant you press the button), it takes some time for your movement to ramp up to full speed. While this might be realistic, it also makes it a lot harder to be accurate in your movements. I would like to see this delay either removed, or at least lessened to allow for more accurate control over movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1 and 2 are bugs we've long wanted to quash, but its been difficult to find reliable reproduction steps. If you could find us some, these could be fixed quickly.

For 5, 6, 8, and 15 making a list or video of the specific delays, sound issues, skulk walk problems, or acceleration delays would be helpful (i.e. specifically delayed HUD elements or specific locations where the sound bugs or skulk walk are the worst).

11 is known and reported (I also find it annoying)

For 12, I guess I've played NS2 so long that I stopped noticing the weapon shake, but it does appear to happen on firing of every weapon except for the pistol and axe. The rifle is the worst because its almost like adding a blur filter to your screen everytime you fire.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited October 2012
    #1 is actually no longer an issue because mappers can now manually place starting cysts, much like they can have per-determined IP spawns (that fixed the double/no IPs spawning). If you see this bug still happening, it's because the map has not been updated with it yet.

This is a very good list though, #12 is especially annoying to me.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    The cyst bug will be fixed for Veil for 222, that was my own stupidity
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Another spot for cyst bug: shipping on Tram
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <b>(2)</b>
    The pistol bug is a frame specific bug that only happens when you both reload and jump approximately at the same time. I'm not sure of the timing, it's very hard to reproduce, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with reloading and jumping. That's why it's very hard to do a bug report of, it cannot be reproduced easily.

Same happens with all reloadable weapons, I think. There's some tiny logical mistake in the animation graphs.

<b>(3,4)</b>
    I've been wanting to see frags/kills displayed in the console together with a time stamp and team/player specific colouring for a long time. I don't see it hard to develop. Cyst kills are unnecessary to see, but buildings such as obs, phasegate, cc, hive, harvesters, extractors are interesting info.
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    I totally agreed with Fana, though, I have few ideas myself.

<!--quoteo(post=1987069:date=Oct 4 2012, 05:46 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Oct 4 2012, 05:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987069"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>(8) Skulk walk key:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Skulks often need to be completely silent in order not to alert the marines of his presence; and thus enablind an ambush. The walk key is the only way for the skulk to move quietly. It is therefore of paramount importance that the walk key provides that function (silent movement) flawlessly in all situations. Currently, however, it does not. I've lost count of the times I've tried to walk as a skulk, but instead of moving me forward it stucks me to some wall, forcing me to use the directional keys to move, alerting all the marines in the vicinity of my presence. The reason for this, is that the skulk extra-sticky wallwalk key is located on the same key as the regular skulk walk. The easiest way to solve the problem is simply to separate the two functions into two separate keys. This problem makes ambushing so difficult right now and I really can't stress enough how important it is that this gets looked at.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I also think that skulk's walk speed have to be little bit faster that it's now. Of course there have to be penalty for moving silently, but right now it takes ages to close distance with shift on. In NS1 good skulks didn't press shift to be totally silent, but there were own skilled technique which allowed to be silent and much faster than just pressing shift. In NS1 you were over double as fast than in NS2, when using this silent technique. I don't remember anyone ever complaining about silent speed in NS1, so I don't see reason why shouldn't you reward intelligent skulking.

I would like to see fix for crouch jumping also. It shouldn’t be lottery when you are trying to jump over rails and boxes.

<!--quoteo(post=1987104:date=Oct 4 2012, 07:01 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Oct 4 2012, 07:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987104"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->15. Hardly noticeable, more like you're nit-picking now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You do understand that when you took any art to perfection, the importance of nit-picking grows. And this particular thing isn't even nit-picking, actually most of my former teammates refused to play NS2 because of this. It might be nothing for you, but I require game to be responsive and reward delicate touch.
  • GarfuGarfu Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145170Members
    I can reproduce the pistol not firing bug. It happens to me all the time. As Skie posted, it happens when jumping and switching to the pistol, I didn't know it had to do with reloading also but now that I do, it's easily reproducible.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1987081:date=Oct 5 2012, 12:04 AM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ Oct 5 2012, 12:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Summit->Atrium recently
    Summit->Sub Access (not as much as it did previously)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Summit has pre-placed cysts, are you sure this still happens in the current build?
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Alot of weapons reloads actually finish well before the animation does, allow you to exploit what is arguably already a too quick reload for the rifle to make it quicker.

Any holstered weapons will drop where they were last your active weapon, which means marines can get weapons back for free if they play somewhat smart with them. This same bug also causes the collision model for your weapon to remain when you switch away from it, since it is not destroyed. This is what causes it to teleport back to the original location.

Most aliens have such a small amount of skill to their movement leading to quite boring and predicable play.

Gorging in a vent gets you stuck everytime because the game defaults to moving you up, without checking to see if you are colliding first.

Gigantic homing beacon arrow when you open minimap could be toned down slightly, its really huge.

and +1 to all the original suggestions.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    I agree with literally all of these points, including the supposed whiny accel issue being #1. A very good OP.
  • havok?havok? Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152462Members, NS2 Map Tester
    +1 to all of these.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    Another thing is I can't believe nobody has complained about the terrible spam of thr death messages. It is like a joke?? I've always wondered why they are so spammed and.nobody has flagged it up.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    +1 to the OP. I also can't believe the pistol bug hasn't been reported yet. :P
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    That blur effect on cele is just an effect, its not really a downside o.O

It also seems to disappear when using alien vision.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Early this morning myself and a few other aussies decided to raid a US server for lols. I was terrorizing the marines with my lerking when their commander jumped out of the CC to assist (warehouse, ns2_tram). I swooped in to get him, he freaked out and went for the chair again, but I failed to kill him in time. To my surprise, I didn't die when the CC closed around me and the comm disappeared. I became trapped inside it!

Eventually it opened again and I bit the comm's legs off and flew away. But a few minutes later the same thing happened, and I was inside the chair again. I could understand a one-off bug, but twice in a row is a bit odd. Have the PTs encountered this at all? My framerate is always 40+ as I run at a low resolution, and I would have had 200ish ping on that server, if that helps.

Another bug I encountered the other day was with feign death. I was just a skulk with FD, fighting around tram hub (ns2_tram obv) against some exos, marines, and dozens of MACs. I was so caught up in the moment I thought I was just lucky or something, but I was stuck on 1hp and not dying. When I realized I was invincible I stood in front of one of the exos to make sure, and yep... he unloads everything and I just stood there barking like a dog lol. Eventually they stopped trying to kill me, we danced around etc, and my health started to regen. Then I took another hit and finally died. Didn't see it happen again.

And yeah, gorge spit needs a fix desperately. So hard to use when you cannot see your own projectile.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    There are some places within the command chair where you can avoid dying when it is closed. I've done it a few times as a marine as well.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Did you get nice and cozy with the commander?
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I have barely noticed 12&16 to be honest. I don't think they're too bad in NS2 considering these kind of effects usually result in me vomiting all over the place like a water fountain.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1987767:date=Oct 5 2012, 10:53 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Oct 5 2012, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are some places within the command chair where you can avoid dying when it is closed. I've done it a few times as a marine as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do it daily, mkay.
  • RoTTeRoTTe Join Date: 2012-03-14 Member: 148764Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1987069:date=Oct 4 2012, 02:46 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Oct 4 2012, 02:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987069"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>(2) Pistol bug:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Sometimes, when switching to the pistol, it will not fire. The only way to un-jam it, is to switch to another weapon and then back to the pistol. Leads to very frustrating and unfair deaths.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This bug happens when two animations try to "play" at the same time (reload+jump, fire+et ectera, meele+jump ?). Since ~180 build I tried to reproduce and debug (I lost the count of skulks who kill me while I change weapons trying to save my ass, very very annoying) but the code apparently is OK (lua part). I think its highly related with the onos stomp and weapon stuck but I'm not sure.

There are severals ways to reproduce, just push all keys while firing (meele rifle too) and profit!. Seriously, I used to play with meele (a lot!), since the nerfed I stop using it and the bug dissapears itself (maybe related ? XD).
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Lot's of good posts in here.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    edited October 2012
    +1 to everything. Especially the movement and the infuriating LMG-shake.

Also, bump. These points are very imporant.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1987104:date=Oct 5 2012, 01:01 AM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Oct 5 2012, 01:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987104"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2. Hasn't been reported; get us a video?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1987299:date=Oct 5 2012, 12:22 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Oct 5 2012, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987299"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>(2)</b>
    The pistol bug is a frame specific bug that only happens when you both reload and jump approximately at the same time. I'm not sure of the timing, it's very hard to reproduce, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with reloading and jumping. That's why it's very hard to do a bug report of, it cannot be reproduced easily.

Same happens with all reloadable weapons, I think. There's some tiny logical mistake in the animation graphs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I did a video some days ago to show some bugs and this one is in (at 0:57).
    Clicked several times after teleporting, but nothing happened... until it happened.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FAClM-g3FJ8#t=57s"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FAClM-g3FJ8#t=57s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

+1 to the OP anyway.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <b>(4) Frag message spam:</b>

I'd like to see upgrade sturctures in there to, like Carapace Shell and Adrenaline Spur, As this is infomation I would like to see.

<b>(7) Marine footstep sounds: </b>

Honestly they seem fine. I can here marines easy at a distance. I don't think they are quiet at all.

The rest is pretty much what I think. I hope they listen to you
  • PheusPheus Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12924Members
    I'd like to chime in that the weird movement acceleration was the first thing I noticed in ns2 and is probably my top problem with the game. It's a big contributor to what people refer to as the feeling of walking around in molasses
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Since the thread was a bit tl;dr for me
    I reported the lerk spikes not being affected by silence 2 builds ago, and koujisan said it would be fixed... still hasnt been, whuts going on?!