sound positioning glitch?

sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
ive realized on strafing the direction i hear my own sounds from is changing aswell. its kinda ok with the walkking sounds..but it is very annoying with weapon sounds.. it almost sounds like its someone next to me shooting when i strafe and fire my weapon, very irritating

Comments

• havok?havok? Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152462Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Yeah, it seems to overpower a lot of other sounds as well.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    There's also the issue with gorge heal spray not producing any sound if you aim it right above you.
    This appeared after the sound change Max did to make NS2 use windows' current sound setup.
  • senatesenate Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75023Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1985141:date=Sep 30 2012, 11:57 AM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Sep 30 2012, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985141"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ive realized on strafing the direction i hear my own sounds from is changing aswell. its kinda ok with the walkking sounds..but it is very annoying with weapon sounds.. it almost sounds like its someone next to me shooting when i strafe and fire my weapon, very irritating<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    THIS happens to me randomly in patch 220, i have played only a few times on 221 due to reduced fps, but it seems to be fixed. What are your audio card and related software settings ? I have an Asus Xonar ST powering a set of headphones, settings are 8 channels, PCM 192 Khz, Dolby Headphone DH-2.
    Asus xonar xense with pc360s, 8 channel PCM 192khz. and it was a lot worse last patch. I still get the strafing thing though.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I have a Xonar d1 with these settings and it works fine: 2 channels, 192khz, headphone, no dolby headphone, GX mode off.
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    It is an anomaly of how some game engines handle surround sound.

In NS2's case, the sounds you hear are based on where ever the player camera is. The camera stays relatively static while the 3D player model twists in the direction of the strafe, sending the player model outside of the center of the player camera. And since the player model is where the sound is coming from, the sound comes from either side of the camera, resulting in the sound coming from one side or the other.

This can also be associated with any other player movement that has the player model moving outside of the static player camera, including aliens. Leap can cause some weird effects swirling around your head occasionally.

And I agree, it <i>is</i> annoying.

I imagine to fix it, player sounds would need to be forced to be played directly from the camera, not the player model.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    Yea sound needs serious reworking.
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    yeah this is what i get too

sound cutting in and out when i move around
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, same problem here. Even when sprinting with a marine I hear my own footsteps from behind sometimes.
    Using 5.1 Sound System.

Solution:
    Sounds that are caused by a player himself should always <b>played without positioning</b>. Like the menu music.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1986110:date=Oct 2 2012, 09:54 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Oct 2 2012, 09:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, same problem here. Even when sprinting with a marine I hear my own footsteps from behind sometimes.
    Using 5.1 Sound System.

Solution:
    Sounds that are caused by a player himself should always <b>played without positioning</b>. Like the menu music.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait, what? There is a menu music? I thought they removed it 2 builds ago when it stopped to play for me then. Instead of it I hear now the electrical buzz of flourescent light bulbs.

Dang, sounds are messed up

Fubr
    <!--quoteo(post=1985324:date=Sep 30 2012, 07:29 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Sep 30 2012, 07:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's also the issue with gorge heal spray not producing any sound if you aim it right above you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you're not hearing any sound at all while heal spraying upwards, you have your windows settings set as 5.1, but you either don't have 5.1 or your rear speakers aren't getting sound.

Try going into your Windows Sound settings and making sure your setup is set to Stereo if you only have 2 speakers.

If you have 5.1, do a sound check and make sure your rear speakers are getting sound. Check the cables and the individual speaker volume settings in Windows Sounds setup.

This should fix your problem.
    edited October 2012
    We should still be able to use 4, 6 or 8 channel virtual surround with headphones it's just broken in ns2. A lot of sounds cut out if you're looking straight up, like lerk spikes. And setting it to 2 channel (stereo) still sounds pretty bad.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    While sounds are the topic...anyone else not hearing marine voice communications like "Follow Me", "Lets Move" and "I'm Covering You"?
    <!--quoteo(post=1986693:date=Oct 3 2012, 04:57 PM:name=havok?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (havok? @ Oct 3 2012, 04:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We should still be able to use 4, 6 or 8 channel virtual surround with headphones it's just broken in ns2. A lot of sounds cut out if you're looking straight up, like lerk spikes. And setting it to 2 channel (stereo) still sounds pretty bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't encountered this problem at all with my 5.1 setup/virtual surround (Creative Recon3D).

Sound is definitely choppy when the server lags, but otherwise it's just the typical problem of sound coming from the player model instead of the player camera, causing the sounds to come out of different speakers when you move/strafe around in different directions.

Because of this, when you look up and heal spray, the heal spray sound only comes out of the rear speakers. So, I figure if there is no sound at all when someone is doing this, the 5.1 feed is getting sent to a 2 speaker set up, which would be a common problem, and the proper setup just needs to be set in some control panel somewhere.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1986700:date=Oct 4 2012, 12:16 AM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Oct 4 2012, 12:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While sounds are the topic...anyone else not hearing marine voice communications like "Follow Me", "Lets Move" and "I'm Covering You"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, they're broke.
    Only "Aliens spotted", "Acknowledged", medpack/ammo/order requests seem to work.

I really miss the taunts.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1986690:date=Oct 4 2012, 06:50 AM:name=dethovu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dethovu @ Oct 4 2012, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986690"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you're not hearing any sound at all while heal spraying upwards, you have your windows settings set as 5.1, but you either don't have 5.1 or your rear speakers aren't getting sound.

Try going into your Windows Sound settings and making sure your setup is set to Stereo if you only have 2 speakers.

If you have 5.1, do a sound check and make sure your rear speakers are getting sound. Check the cables and the individual speaker volume settings in Windows Sounds setup.

This should fix your problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    hello,
    i have always had it set on 4 channels and these bugs will occur on headphones.

Setting it on 2 channels defeats the purpose of getting sound depth now doesn't it.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Considering how important sound is UW should put a higher priority on fixing this.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Same problem here, logitech g35. It started in 119.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I use headphones. I can pinpoint sound origins very accurately.
    <!--quoteo(post=1986905:date=Oct 4 2012, 07:50 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Oct 4 2012, 07:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hello,
    i have always had it set on 4 channels and these bugs will occur on headphones.

Setting it on 2 channels defeats the purpose of getting sound depth now doesn't it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hello,

I was not trying to suggest that someone with a surround sound setup should set their configuration to stereo. Not sure how you misconstrued that.

What I was saying is that if you look up as a gorge while heal spraying, and there is no sound at all, that is because the sound is being played from the rear speakers (which is NORMAL right now with how sound originates from the player model and not the player camera). And then the logical conclusion is that either the rear speakers are not getting sound to them because of a configuration error, or the rear speakers don't exist because the user doesn't have surround sound.

Also, just because you are using headphones doesn't mean that you can use surround sound. You have to have some type of virtual surround sound hardware that converts surround sound into virtual 3D surround for stereo headphones. Some of the more popular ones are: CMSS3D, TruStudio and Dolby Headphones

If you do not have virtual surround sound on your hardware (onboard Realtek audio does NOT), then you MUST play with stereo with headphones, or you WILL get problems such as no sound when looking up while heal spraying.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bumping topic to let UWE know that fundamental problems with sound are still there.

Though there is now no more sound clipping and sounds not playing from looking up etc (goodwork), the sound 'FOV' is still incredibly narrow. You literally cannot hear anything behind you in a sizable angle.

Hope we get a fix soon.
  • JediPhreaKJediPhreaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167028Members
    I've been having this same problem with a new headset I recently purchased. My older Razer Baracuda is falling apart but gives me the sound in the correct positions. It goes straight through my 7.1 surround sound ports though and not USB.
  • JediPhreaKJediPhreaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167028Members
    I hope this will get fixed once the New Year has begun.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited December 2012
    Positional sound is bugged at the moment. Sounds sometimes originate from the previous location of a skulk or the 0,0 point on the map instead of where the skulk actually is. This is very annoying considering with 7.1 surround you can pretty much hear almost the exact location of a skulk, and that you can even hear through walking skulk with cloak still. If the hopping sound that plays when a skulk shifts from one point of geometry to another plays correctly it's not that hard to nail a skulk with a shotgun who is close to you and cloaked. This is an exploit, sure. But it's been in since I started playing in beta and hasn't really been fixed yet. This and pistol scripting are exploits that give you a huge advantage and the sooner they are gone the better. I just hope they are able to fix the sound disappearing issue at the same time.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1985141:date=Sep 30 2012, 10:57 AM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Sep 30 2012, 10:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985141"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ive realized on strafing the direction i hear my own sounds from is changing aswell. its kinda ok with the walkking sounds..but it is very annoying with weapon sounds.. it almost sounds like its someone next to me shooting when i strafe and fire my weapon, very irritating<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Flip your headphones around.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    There's a weird sound bug in the new Refinery. When a skulk is chomping on the new RT below Pipeworks, you can hear it when you are in Pipeworks itself.