EMP grenades

hankyhanky Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118944Members
What do you guys think if they added hand tossed grenades to Marines? Instead of exploding and causing shrapnel damage like traditional grenades, they produce a ball of energy hindering the aliens energy.

Make them cost around 10 res to buy at the armory. Commander has to research them.

Basically throw them at a incoming fade, they go off it limits the fads energy, lets to to 10%, for about 5 seconds. They still regen their energy but it caps out at a certain % for the duration of time. That way he can still attack, but limits it.

Make the blast radius semi small, that way there not to uber good you actually have to make it go off near enemies.

Of course you could change the cost of res and the blast radius. Personally would like to see them semi cheap and a small radius.

Cosmetics I would like it to look like a expanding sphere of energy being emitted by the grenade. That way the aliens know the blast radius visually.

Another use for them could also be to throw them at cregs so it slows down there heal time. So you could launch it at a alien hive, and stun the cregs (ofcourse this doesn't have to be implemented) Also maybe throwing one in a room shows all the aliens/structure's that are currently cloaked (this could be a bigger radius)

Comments

• Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    well, there are already grenades and there is already EMP (on MACs) which will hopefully be seen more often with the upcoming adrenaline tweak.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    edited September 2012
    ...I still dont really understand how a robot can be equipped with an EMP, shouldnt the unit (along with any marine HUD, or any other structure in the vicinity for that matter) get fried if it blew and EMP charge?
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1978789:date=Sep 16 2012, 05:57 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Sep 16 2012, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...I still dont really understand how a robot can be equipped with an EMP, shouldnt the unit (along with any marine HUD, or any other structure in the vicinity for that matter) get fried if it blew and EMP charge?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are methods to greatly reduce damage caused by electromagnetic radiation in present times. I don't see why they wouldn't have a way to more or less proof the electronics in the far future.

As far as realism goes, I'm wondering why the Shotguns have a range of like 10 feet. Present day shotguns have effective ranges exceeding 70 yards, even when using pellets with an open choke. (That's why Shotguns are used for skeet shooting and hunting)
  • hankyhanky Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118944Members
    Why give the role to the MAC's? The commander already has enough to do, can't see this being used tacticly without just sending a mac in first and setting off a emp. Then the MAC will die...kinda silly.

Just give the role to the players.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1979064:date=Sep 17 2012, 04:22 PM:name=hanky)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hanky @ Sep 17 2012, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1979064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why give the role to the MAC's? The commander already has enough to do, can't see this being used tacticly without just sending a mac in first and setting off a emp. Then the MAC will die...kinda silly.

Just give the role to the players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well given currently you just lololol mactrain with exos its not like you really need to be looking after them, when you're sat watching the figth waiting for a nano/medpack to spam just blast off some emps (click mac press (s?)) to screw with fades.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would settle for a single exploding hand grenade to clear out vents
    <!--quoteo(post=1979079:date=Sep 17 2012, 04:55 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Sep 17 2012, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1979079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would settle for a single exploding hand grenade to clear out vents<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

GLs exist for a reason. But also currently marines can jump into most vents currently so thats not really a problem
    <!--quoteo(post=1978797:date=Sep 17 2012, 04:16 AM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Sep 17 2012, 04:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are methods to greatly reduce damage caused by electromagnetic radiation in present times. I don't see why they wouldn't have a way to more or less proof the electronics in the far future.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So basically the answer is my signature?
    So....no body is up for emp hand grenades for marines? lol Mac trains are an annoying gameplay tactic in my opinion. And added these emp grenades doesn't absolete the GL, lets you have access to another type of grenade, and lets you keep what ever weapon you want.
    <!--quoteo(post=1979094:date=Sep 17 2012, 05:25 PM:name=hanky)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hanky @ Sep 17 2012, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1979094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So....no body is up for emp hand grenades for marines? lol Mac trains are an annoying gameplay tactic in my opinion. And added these emp grenades doesn't absolete the GL, lets you have access to another type of grenade, and lets you keep what ever weapon you want.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

GL was once attached to the LMG, it was removed for a very good reason. Whilst were at it why dont we let the skulks have the option to equip spikes, so they can pick if they want to bite or attack from range?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I miss nades, and I want my nerve gas!
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1978789:date=Sep 17 2012, 02:57 AM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Sep 17 2012, 02:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...I still dont really understand how a robot can be equipped with an EMP, shouldnt the unit (along with any marine HUD, or any other structure in the vicinity for that matter) get fried if it blew and EMP charge?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I find it more odd how an EMP charge would sap the energy from a biological creature. ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1980071:date=Sep 19 2012, 08:50 AM:name=EgoGamer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EgoGamer @ Sep 19 2012, 08:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find it more odd how an EMP charge would sap the energy from a biological creature. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed, nothing about this makes sense.
    LOL well it doesn't have to be called EMP in game. Will call it ENERGY SUCKING DEVICE ....So ESD.

What are your thoughts on when it goes off it messes up the Marines HUD and flashlights? If there in the blast radius
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980124:date=Sep 19 2012, 02:42 AM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Sep 19 2012, 02:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980124"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Indeed, nothing about this makes sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because an EMP emits electromagnetic radiation and can affect brain function in humans. Since we don't know what the Alien's biology/anatomy is, they might just be very susceptible to that form of radiation.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980224:date=Sep 20 2012, 01:16 AM:name=hanky)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hanky @ Sep 20 2012, 01:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOL well it doesn't have to be called EMP in game. Will call it ENERGY SUCKING DEVICE ....So ESD.

What are your thoughts on when it goes off it messes up the Marines HUD and flashlights? If there in the blast radius<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What about the flamethrower?..does pretty much what you wanted.
    Sorry but the last thing aliens need is more nerfing on their ability to move or attack.
    Please show me the upgrades aliens have that slow the ROF of an EXO...or stop a JP'er flying ?