Natural Selection 2 News Update - Natural Selection 2 on Steam

Comments

• Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Also, 2 notes:

1. You guys should probably link the "Pre-order now!" buttons from unknownworlds.com/ns2/ and naturalselection2.com to the store page since they still seem active for direct paypal pre-orders.

2. Put up the Gorilla Trailer as the first trailer that plays on the steam page, the Exo one makes it looks like more of an action game than strategy, you only see buildings very briefly.
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    Was all ready to rage about feeling like I got stiffed because I pre-ordered.

You guys are the ######. Ironically, I was playing last night and got in to an awesome server and had a few full games, trying out the Exo and Onos for the first time. Never had an experience of that caliber before when playing this game, and it is a testament to how far it has developed.

Best of all, I had a friend over who I had told about NS2, but had never shown him. I was telling him just how much closer to finished the game feels and it's lucky he is seeing it at this stage. Looks like you guys feel the same, what with the news!

Congrats, and you have likely made yourself one lifelong fan right here.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can't stop looking at the news post.

ITS SO B-BEAUTIFUL ;_;
  • Insurance SalesmanInsurance Salesman Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152617Members
    Awesome news! I'm not sure how useful the free copy will be to me personally since most of my friends already own the game, but it's an amazingly generous deal and one that I appreciate greatly.

Also, on a side note - will you allow players to choose the player model they use? Even though I'll be glad to use the deluxe armor, I'm guessing that there will be players who want to use the default skin - or black armor, if they own it - instead.
  • EißfeldtEißfeldt Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155658Members
    I remember buying two game copies for the price of one for my friend and me last year. And now both of us get free extra copies, which is awesome. I feel like buying another extra copy to support you guys!!!
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118911Members
    Wow, that is super generous! Thank you UnknownWorlds.

Now if I only had a friend who would play with me. *sniffle* I went in on the deal awhile back that was two copies for the price of one with my steam buddy.

Could I trade it for some black armor, lol?
  • DukrahDukrah Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157762Members
    So how this is the end of the beginning.

I'm one of the guys that only read your forums, watching your activity, had my browser start site this game for nearly three years (even switched my nickname 2 times, it has been a looooong time :) ). I loved playing NS1 so I bought the game 3 times after the week it was available and now I have 5 copies to give to my friends to enjoy it (friends people, don't spam me). Something I would have never expected but thank you so much!

After so many years watching you from far I just wanted to congratulate you for finally reaching release date, altough I had feared that with all these people that don't know what creating a game involves would put you with their commentries off balance and abandon NS. That would have been a hit in the face so to say, glad that never happened.

Thank you also so much for being so open all the years, for something that I could follow and watch grow.

Thank you for everyhing. Though I'm kinda feared what the people will bring so before all the kids come in and complain, I wanted to write this and remember you that there are people out there that don't write but love your game even after 10 years like me.

Oh and remember that accident with the new office you tweeted and the storm it started? Keep in mind the decisions you made off on that with the steam release, thats my only concern.

Oh and one thing I always wanted to say: Max you are my favourite. Why? Hugh puts it in a really good way to say it. My version: You are awesome and programming this engine nearly alone, well you can be proud of it. Hope to meet you someday.

Lets see which stunt you pull of next, I will watch and buy it.
  • MachinasterMachinaster Join Date: 2007-05-31 Member: 61074Members
    Thank you so much. You guys really keep doing a good job, and I am still very happy I was able to support you in the first hours of initial pre-orders, regardless of free copies or not. I am pretty sure I'll be buying more to gift to a friend or two in the future. Thanks for making the wonderful sequel to my adolescent gaming addiction that was NS1.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hopefully when a Marine Customization menu appears, we can mix and match different armor pieces from our special and deluxe edition armors with the regular armor.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ah.. remember back in the day when all those people kept trolling ns2 as vaporware lol.

grats uwe
  • DualSightDualSight Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72909Members
    Congratulations UWE!

Thank You for all these hard working years!!! Best developers on the planet!!!

Thank You for not abandoning your true loyal hardcore fanbase even when faced with many difficult challenges!!!
  • ProtonProton Calgary, AB Join Date: 2004-09-08 Member: 31534Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just bought an extra copy for my other brother (I would have bought 2 if I didn't get one free)

I just checked old emails and realized that I did buy the Special Edition with a Black Armor key, forgot all about that. What an awesome surprise! Looking forward to seeing what it will look like.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    congrats & the offer to your alpha/beta guys is very generous. thx.

Not many other free mods pull off the transition like you did. NS is an awesome IP & I for one will continue to stick with you guys.
  • GreenFlameGreenFlame Join Date: 2011-03-17 Member: 86860Members
    edited September 2012
    Congratulations, Unknown Worlds Entertainment! You have reached this Amazing moment! I wish you have Great Success and Tons of Awesomeness are coming to you already, I'm sure!
    I'm so Happy about it all! =D

Edit: You are even giving us all the Deluxe things and a free game copy, that's Total Awesomeness! Oh, so many people I'd like to give away the copy, you guys are Fantastic! Now I'm even happier and double excited(and I was about to go to bed xD)!
    Thank You Guys!!!!!
  • serpicoserpico Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Congrats UWE! Many of us pre-ordered partly as thanks for NS1, not knowing for sure if this day would come or not. And now here we are with not one copy of NS2, but two. I guess you showed us. :)
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    <!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Where are the reddit r/gaming posts to throw upvotes at?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    awesome. simply awesome. A+ on all accounts.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also, release date in october? I LOVE YOU SO MUCH :3 :3 :3
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1971333:date=Sep 5 2012, 03:13 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Sep 5 2012, 03:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1971333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where are the reddit r/gaming posts to throw upvotes at?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.steampowered.com%2Fapp%2F4920" target="_blank">http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2...om%2Fapp%2F4920</a>

Right there
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1971320:date=Sep 5 2012, 02:07 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Sep 5 2012, 02:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1971320"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ah.. remember back in the day when all those people kept trolling ns2 as vaporware lol.

grats uwe<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We've managed to whittle it down to Thaldarin, I think he's going to have nothing to live for when it comes out though.
  • paellapaella Join Date: 2007-03-23 Member: 60463Members, Constellation
    All that said, way to release at the same time as the new Firaxis take on classic x-com.

October is apparently the month to kill aliums in.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1971339:date=Sep 5 2012, 01:17 AM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Sep 5 2012, 01:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1971339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.steampowered.com%2Fapp%2F4920" target="_blank">http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2...om%2Fapp%2F4920</a>

Right there<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Should try and upvote these.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    *hugs my black armour*

what do we call the new armour guys? fat-greenies, and the normal armour just greenies?
  • charvincharvin Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156743Members
    SO ###### EXCITED! i'm going to honestly miss this being such a tight nit community, with the same names popping up everywhere. I hope you all get filthy ###### rich when this game goes viral. You guys will show everyone the power of a small group of skilled, talented, DEDICATED game designers. I will be following you guys at unknown closely throughout your careers. Best of luck.

-Charvin, aka "Guy"
  • ShadowFangShadowFang Join Date: 2002-05-01 Member: 565Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1971344:date=Sep 5 2012, 02:19 AM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Sep 5 2012, 02:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1971344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*hugs my black armour*

what do we call the new armour guys? fat-greenies, and the normal armour just greenies?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

we can go by a military rank, black = lieutenant, deluxe = sergeant, normal = private
  • pSYc0depSYc0de Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 19026Members
    Congrats guys, very happy for you all. I have to admit that much earlier on I had my doubts about the future of the game, but 217 has completely blown me away and feels like the old days of NS1 when I would stay up till 3am on a school night playing epic megabattles. Sorry I ever doubted you guys! I couldn't be more excited about a game release. Hope to meet you all some day in the Bay!
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    I felt like I was reading a pre D-Day speech. Should have had charlie on video saying that behind a TSA Flag!!

I just cried.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    edited September 2012
    To quickly upvote all the relevant posts and grab attention:

<a href="http://www.reddit.com/search?q=natural+selection+2&sort=new" target="_blank">http://www.reddit.com/search?q=natural+sel...+2&sort=new</a>

Also, holy ###### - are you guys crazy (45000 free copies?)?! That's amazing!

Now, to find a worthy friend. And prepare the celebration lan.

edit: grammurrr
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1971344:date=Sep 5 2012, 04:19 AM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Sep 5 2012, 04:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1971344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what do we call the new armour guys?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just call the new deluxe green "Green Plebians" and the stock one "Green Casuals"
    The Black Armor Master Race will always be supreme.
    When I play, I better not spawn from the same IP as one of those green casuals. Disgusting.
  • SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    I recently purchased a second copy for my brother and gifted him the code. If I am reading this correctly he will get upgraded to Deluxe and we will each get 2 codes to give to friends? If so, this is superb and cannot wait to get my other brother in on this.

PS: Thanks for breathing life into a genre that has gone stale.